Injured big toe - just rest it?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by drissa, Aug 1, 2011.

1. drissa

drissa New Member

Hi all

For the third/fourth time over the last several years, I've injured my big toe playing capoeira. It took my weight, bend over on itself, during a kick with the other leg. As previously, it has gone a very strange colour and is painful to walk on.

I gather that toes can break quite easily. It doesn't feel painful enough this time to be broken, but I remember the same toe taking months to properly heal (and even then, it was always a little tender to bend).

Any advice, other than rest?

Thanks

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

doctor :) (sports traumatlogist, to be precise. preferrably one that works with high-impact athletes, like rugbiers)

also, less seriously, ask bigmikey for one of his for a transplant. all of his toes are big toes.

3. Don-Felix

Don-Felix New Member

Options

Going to a doctor and having an x-ray and/or ultrasound would be the obvious solution. As mentioned before, someone specializing in sports and orthopedics would be good. I am not sure how the health system in the UK is set up, but you may have to go to a general practitioner first and have them send you on...

The x-rays are to discover potential bone injuries, if there is a chance you damages your capsule (the ligaments that hold the joint together...) an ultrasound will be a fairly cheap method to diagnose. (Some private clinics, especially in the US will do an MRI for insurance purposes and to charge you more...)

If for some reason or another you dislike going to a doctor, here are a few things you should consider.
    -If there is pain and swelling but you can still move the toe both actively and passively as well as don't experience any tingling and loss of sensitivity (you can feel a pencil poking your toe) you can try treating the injury conservatively:
    -ice, NSAIDs (ibuprofen) to manage the pain, elevating the foot as often as possible to take care of the swelling and REST. If you know how to, a good stabilizing tape job can work wonders. If you don't see any improvement after a few weeks, go back to the doctor option.
    -injured big toes can take quite a while to recover. Don't jump back into training too soon. When you think you can go back, tape it an extra two weeks and take it easy for an extra four weeks. Just to be safe.

I had a similar injury 5 months ago and am still babying it a bit.

Good luck.

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

DOCTOR - VISIT - NOW :)

5. drissa

drissa New Member

Thanks Don. I'm pretty sure there isn't serious damage. I've rested a bit, and I'm now back to training but wearing shoes. I'm convinced that damaged big toes never quite fully recover - I guess they can only be rested to a degree if one wants to get on with life.

My real concern is the toe bending forward again under weight, so I may investigate a way of taping it to restrict this.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Typical for the forums. Asks for advice and then ignores it. :rolleyes:

Over the years I've seen so many people screw up the toes... especially their big toe and then it heals a bit and they figure aww what hell must not have any damage I should be ok... and go back to training.

Suit yourself... but you're going to find as you get older that the toes has less range of motion (eg. less ability to bend) and that you won't be able to move exactly as you did prior to injury because you haven't bothered to get it looked at and properly rehabbed.

Man.. don't discount the big toe it's vital to all you do in martial arts. Get it checked out and go through the long pain in the ass process of getting it back to full mobility. You will be happy that you did.

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Your toe from the description sounds broken (or fractured). The discoloring will be from the swelling. You're best to go get it checked out, the sooner the better.