Info on Channan Kata or Nihon Denryu Heiho Motobu Kempo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by TangSooRed, Apr 8, 2005.

1. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

Greetings,

I am looking for information on the Channan Kata of Choki Motobu, I would welcome any information you may have. i would like to find a video at best or a photographed sequence at the least, but as I say any info would be helpful. I understand that his son Chosei Motobu is head of Nihon Denryu Heiho Motobu Kempo, would anyone here know of this Kata or how to get in contact with Chosei Motobu?

B

2. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

My understanding is that it wasn't 'Motobu's kata' as such. It was thought to exist somewhat before Motobu was teaching, possibly before he was born. It is thought by some to be the kata that the Pinan series of kata is based upon. There's even a theory that it was simply the name by which the Pinan's were known before they became the Pinan's.

Its not even certain whether this kata ever actually existed. What seems most likely is that it no longer exists - either that or whoever is still practising it is keeping very quiet about it. No-one I know of has ever tracked it down.

Mike

3. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

Hello Mike,

I have most of the same info you have, I did find that it was used along with perhaps Kusanku(kanku dai/ Kong Sang Koon), to form the Pinans.(Heians/PyongAhns)
    I have a friend who goes to Okinawa and trains, I asked him to see what his Sensei knew of the Kata, it does exist, but the Sensei didn't know of anyone off hand who still practiced it. I have also spoken with a gentlemen in Austrailia who's org. has this in their syllibus, but I am waiting for his response, I have the Channan Heart of the Heians BY Dr. Schmeisser, in it he has the photographic breakdown of both Dai and Sho, but since he shows a jumping low x block in the set, I am a little sceptical that this is in fact the original form, so my search goes on, my best lead now being Motobu's son and with luck I can get an address and write him. He did visit Hawaii in 2001 so I can hope this will pan out.

Thanks for your response
    bernard
    http://pages.cthome.net/redtsd

4. Mike Flanagan

Hi Bernard

By complete coincidence I just saw a discussion regarding Channan on another forum today. The gist of the conversation was that it may well be that Motobu's son's organisation do have a kata called Channan but that it may well be a modern kata with an old name. I think the information may have come from Joe Swift who lives in Japan. I don't know if you've ever come across Joe but I'm sure you'll find an email address for him if you search the web. He may be able to provide some more info.

Mike

5. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

Mike,

Thanks, yes I have read some of his work, I will have to contact him. I think I have his address from when I was checking out 100 Okinawan Masters, still have to send the international Money order for that though : )
    I'll check back and let yu know what turns up., oh waht was the forum that you saw??

bernard

6. Mike Flanagan

Its a private forum for members of Rick Clark's Ao Denkou Kai organisation.

Mike