Infestilog #01

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Infesticon #1, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

This is here for me to track my weight loss/gain and give myself some pointers on training

Starting weight - 105 kg
    weight last week - 92kg
    Weight today - 95 kg

Ju Jutsu - Try to improve "flow" of technique, stay relaxed, don't force technique the technique doesn't require force to work but the correct movement and posture/positioning

TKD - remember to turn on ball of the foot when kicking or you'll knacker your knees again, don't just throw out 1 attack, use combos, copy other people's combos if you like the look of them.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Which style of TKD are you doing?

Mitch

3. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I previously studied with the TAGB. My new club is under the UKTA (I think) so it's ITF again but quite a few things seem different from the TAGB.

4. Mitch

Ah well, we all have to fall on hard times sometimes ;)

Similar sparring though so work your front leg side kick, look to work angles and build combinations of kicks that flow for you - turning kick to reverse turn or back kick for example. You can also work on sticking hands on the end of everything.

Mitch

5. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

One I used to like was outer knife hand to side kick

low(mid really, above belt) to high turning kick, inner knife hand

I think that I will have to work on my reverse kicks a lot as they score higher in sparring.

I can't spar until I'm yellow belt, which suits me fine as my fitness level is poor and I can't really afford to buy any sparring equipment until my next pay cheque.

And yes! put hands on everything :)

Thank you

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nice! I don't know a huge amount (i.e. anything) about Ju Jitsu or TKD, but as you've said, one of the BIG keys to most martial arts is relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax, but keep good posture.

The more you relax, the easier the 'flowing' combinations of strikes and/or locks/throws will become; and the better your posture, the more likely it is that your body will be in the right position to initiate the next flowing motion with efficiency...

Also, you can't force your relaxation, so don't stress too much if it doesn't come straight away.

Keep it up man, and don't become too obsessed with your weight unless you have a target weight for a fight. As you train you'll (hopefully) convert some non-muscle mass to muscle mass, so it's more about how you feel (energetic/strong/light on your feet etc), and things like when you notice that the old jeans that were tight are suddenly loose around the waist (and tight around the quads - grr!)

Cheers,
    Harry

7. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

About relaxation, I sometimes become aware of being tense and then I can make a conscious effort to just loosen up, I guess the next step is to just loosen up and stay loose.

8. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Weight today - 92 kg

First Ninjutsu lesson - Instructor seemed very laid back, small class, practiced doing Kaiten forwards, backwards and sideways. Was familiar with forward, couldn't quite do backwards or sideways properly, need more practice, assuming my JJ instructor says it is ok for me to cross train with this school.

Did quite a few different wrist locks and a throw. Still need to work on my posture, keeping my back straight, turning my shoulders with my hips, footwork is an issue, don't take such large steps, only move as much as is absolutely needed.

JJ tomorrow and my shoulder/ribs feel fine, which is good. Will get more Kaiten/Ukemi practice in and be able to ask Guy about training with the Buj.

Guy's advice on crosstraining in the BJK was that it would confuse my movements, I should just practice my Kaiten/Ukemi in the garden on the lawn.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  9. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

JJ lesson

tried out some different techniques in Randori, some were alternative ways of getting to a certain lock or throw.

Need to focus on moving hands into my centre and moving my body rather than moving my hands without them being in my centre and then moving my body.

Still need to work on being more fluid, perhaps just try doing the techniques slowly but smoothly and then when I'm confident with that try to up the tempo

Keep posture correct, remember the pointers from my physio.

Practice the movements Guy showed me to help with footwork and hand placement, maybe try whilst holding my bokken?

10. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

JJ lesson
    trained outside, which was pretty cool.

Learnt several different techniques, some just variations of other techniques I have been shown, some totally new. All were very simple and very smooth, easy to get flowing.

Also learnt all the basic stances, which was good as I need to know them for my grading next month!

practice stances whilst doing stuff e.g. brushing teeth, ironing, watching tv, maybe even playing video games. Should increase my flexibility and make them more natural.

Remember to put horizontal hand palm down, middle finger pointing to elbow. both hands fingers spread, vertical hand pointing in same direction as leading foot -> at the opponents face, which is also where I should be looking.

11. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

TKD Lesson

quite good fun, usual instructor was busy at some BJJ seminar thing. Played a game to warm up, just like every sport I've ever done I was in defence lol. Did some pad work, front snap kick, stepping side kick, sliding side kick. I don't think I quite appreciate the difference between the last two.

Then we did a thing where a person was "piggy in the middle" and had someone holding a focus pad at the 4 corners of them and they would hold the pad at differing angles and you could do whatever technique for about 1 minute or something, I had a whale of a time, don't think anyone there thought a white belt would be able to do the techniques I did (Nothing flashy, I'm not that good)

Then we went through my pattern, boring, I always hated patterns. I can remember it from last time, I'm sure I can already do it to a standard sufficient to pass the inevitable grading.

12. Mitch

To make patterns more fun, try doing every move of your pattern as if the attack will drop your opponent or the defence will save your life. Patterns will suddenly become more of a challenge :)

Plus look into applications, they will bring them to life.

Alternatively, if you like competition, tune your patterns to competition standard.

Mitch

13. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I admit I don't usually put full power in to it every time I go through. At the moment I'm working on learning the new hand position for blocking, and trying to get the snap and the movement to synch up. I do normally do one full power deep stance run per session. Hopefully as my fitness and co ordination improve I'll be able to ramp it up some. Plus I plan on getting the first book from StuartA on patterns and their meanings/uses when I get paid next.

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Watch TV in kamae and also whilst in seiza and kiza.

Sit in seiza a bit each day and you'll soon notce the difference in practice.

15. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

On some of my work calls I have to do some hoovering. I have started hoovering in a deep stance, I think it's a lot better for my back and is hopefully working my legs a bit

16. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

JJ lesson

Going through shio nage a couple of different ways, getting the hang of the footwork and movements, need to flow better, was interesting doing it whilst holding a bokken, never realised that the step under and arm raise was originally a sword cut to the ribs and then the pivot leads to another sword cut. I found it quite enlightening.

Ippon dori is going well. Same old story, improve flow. But I'm doing pretty well at the footwork and takedown. Need to work on Zanshin.

TKD lesson. So tiring! Really need to up my fitness level, just worked on hands, I found it pretty enjoyable, looking forward to being able to spar again, so many openings for a side kick when I was working my dodges and punches but we were doing hands only.

17. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Hi Infesticon, How's your JJ going?

I've been following your dojo's videos on YouTube the past couple of weeks, some pretty solid stuff by the looks of it.

I'm sure I met your instructor at a GBK Taikai in 2010, if its who I'm thinking of they did a Jujutsu grading under Tanemura Sensei and some of his top students on their own (obviously with a partner doing their part) in front of the whole Taikai, please could you find out of that was them as has been bugging me for about a week now!!

18. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Hi Kobudo, the JJ is going well, I am enjoying it a lot. Sometimes feel like I'm back at square one at the start of training, making the same mistakes and picking things up again. But such is the way of life, for me anyway.

I will ask Guy for you on Wednesday's training session

19. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

That's good, no matter how long you train someone will always be able to show you something new that makes you feel like a beginner again!

When you feel like you know it all, it's time to get back on the mat as you can't be training properly.

Thanks, will await your response..

20. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Guy says that even for him there is always more to learn and more things to consider.

Apologies, I'm having a bad day and am not in a good place mentally to go to training tonight. I will ask him for you next Monday, or maybe on Facebook. Ninniku dojo is on FB if you want more info about the club or anything.