Indonesian Astrology and Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Narrue, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Brother Buddy,
    I'm agree with you wholeheartly!
    But this is a fact of life, the circle of countless blames. Its started by one and naturally, his loyal friends or someone who been the victim of "the person" in the discussion shared their drama as he shared their upsets about their experiense with "the person" It becomes a Moan and Groan Society. They never seemed to tire each other's stories. No wonder, they fed each other the martydom they were obviously enjoying, and they always got to be right! They payoff was that we didn't have to create out our righteous, we could simply blame other's for their wrong.
    And I could be wrong,
    Tristan

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

It would be much more dignified to rise above it all :eek:

C'mon we all got the point ages ago :bang:

3. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

how about the pancar?you know ,the one from alexander the great...any proof?maybe its an alien diagram...evreyone can check out an update on pendekar sanders sight,where he is moving with the late pak herman,and a bakti negara player..check it out.-as far as buddy goes,please dont dig the hole any deeper..reality checker has gone through alot...

4. realitychecker

realitychecker New Member

Buddy

Buddy,

I have been directed by my teacher to apologize. I thought that you were someone else until it was explained to me. Even so, I did not have "issues" with any other deThouars but Victor. While he is most certinly my "elder", I owe him no respect. I AM sorry that I vented on a public forum. I will erase all my posts when I givin back the privelage to do so. I realize that I went a bit overboard, and I am sorry to everyone who was upset.
    Realitychecker

5. Tuankaki

Tuankaki Valued Member

Realitychecker,

Good call on your part, and your teacher's. A lot of people, in a lot of places, feel maligned and burned, manipulated and abused. At SOME point some pivotal folks will have passed, and it will be the next generation's opportunity to do a little better. We're getting close to those times, and we all have a choice - cling to the old battles, or try and free ourselves from that so we can learn from one another and enjoy the sharing of these arts.

6. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

7. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

Ramana,
    When you speak of holes, watch your step. Pak Tristan has just given a very big shovel. Remember, you don't know me, who I am, or what I know. Better to just drop this nonsense and talk about silat.
    BTW I don't do silat anymore but was exposed to some top notched folks: Guru Steve Plinck, Guru Bob Venetta, Guru Andre and his brother, Guru Mike, and yes, Pak Victor. Guru Dan was kind enough to compliment me on my baguazhang, however.

8. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

tristan -is there pancar work in your art?could you please explain it to me...as a boxer ,we do lots of footwork and we never look down at our feet to see what lines we are on,so iam asking you nicely to explain..and buddy,the whole iam referring to is the threatning private email you sent to a member on this forum..reality checker already apologized..and the list of people to whom you name drop stopped impressing many of us a long time ago,there are many great artists from all styles,and not all of them are in magazines or make videoes either..you and tristian want to rise above it all,heres your chance..

9. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

what type of bagua and who was your teacher?what do you think of the gao system?yin fu style of he jinbao?-now weve got a common thread---

10. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

Ramana,
    My first inclination is to say who are you, why should I tell you anything? Steve Perry and I use our real names and everyone knows who Guru Mike and Pak Tristan are from times past.
    "the whole iam referring to is the threatning private email you sent to a member on this forum..reality checker already apologized."

I assume you mean hole. You might want to recheck your facts with the person you named. He sent ME an email saying his teacher sends his regards. That's all. So don't try any of this nonsense with me, son. He apologized because his teacher told him to, and rightly so. His teacher understands hormat.

"...and the list of people to whom you name drop stopped impressing many of us a long time ago."

Other than Pak Victor and Guru Mike, whom it seems didn't want to be your smear team, which of that list stopped impressing you? Just so I know your skill level.

"...you and tristian want to rise above it all,heres your chance."

I'm not going to speak for Pak Tristan. I'm already above it all. I have no ax to grind, I was a big boy with an extensive martial art background when I met Pak Victor. In that regard I am not worse off for that experience.

"what type of bagua and who was your teacher?what do you think of the gao system?"

In Chinese the phrase for hormat is "wude." It means martial virtue. You can either research this question on your own or you can ask me nicely.

11. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

you know buddy,i tried to be nice to you in a few different ways..i dont care about any of your b.s politics in silat,it is not my major art of study.judo and sombo are..i got involved in silat due to knowing some of the same people that you mentioned..all ive found is mysticism ,and he said ,she said games.iam not your son or your boy,and you assume a great many things at this time.you know what they say about assumptions.....good luck in your endeavors...

12. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

You know ramana I can't find a single place where you tried to be nice. I don't do silat so they're not my politics. I commend you on your pursuit of your chosen arts, it's an admirable thing. I assume nothing about you. I only respond to what I read.
    So, as to adhere to the wude and hormat I mentioned, I will assume I misjudged your intentions. I study Gao style baguazhang from the Yizong system. My teacher is Luo Dexiu. So now, how do we have something in common?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  13. Gajah Silat

Ramana1 aside from this
    , are you saying you have not actualy studied any Silat?

And can I please remind everyone that there are styles of Silat other than Serak-Sera-Seraktm and Cimande :rolleyes: In fact hundreds if not thousands of them :eek:

14. Gajah Silat

A true tale!

A friend of mine once told a Javanese Orang Tua a joke.

How many Javanese does it take to change a lightbulb?

Three.

One to make the coffee.

One to fill in the paperwork from the Kantor.

And one to fetch a Chinese to do it!

The old man clearly amused, chuckled and replied thus.

"You see, for us things have to be done in the correct manner. We would rather sit in the dark than persue a matter in an inapropriate fashion"

He continued

"Either way we 'win'. Either the lightbulb gets changed, or we sit in the dark no worse off. If the latter occurs we have the satisfaction that although the bulb did not get changed, we at least did not pursue an inapropriate sequence of events."

15. Jebat

Jebat Valued Member

Indonesia has no seasons, there is only a raining period...

South east asia has a lot of magic and spirit believe.
    It mixed with Islam at one point. Then it also mixed
    with Chinese spirit believe. Malays call it Datuk Keramat.
    There where Malays and Chinese mix more it is called
    Datuk Gong.
    There is not much astrology at all apart from the
    astrology used by the local Chinese people who live there
    and I Ching the Chinese use. The Malays don't use it with
    the odd exception maybe. So Silat and astrology is not
    a natural combination at all. Maybe some individuals
    who combined it but it is not a norm.

In Indonesia magic is still everywhere. In Malaysia it is
    disappearing on the mainland but still present on all the Islands.

By the way, the people finding Jesus according to the bible where
    the Persians who would always travel west when there was a
    phenomena in the sky. They where the true and first serious
    astrologers in the world. We have a lot to thank them for when it
    comes to documenting astronomical events.

Also, the 'doctors' you speak of in Europe in the days of old where
    algemists and healers, combining spiritual believe and primitive algemy.
    They where not doctors.

16. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I think the people in those times would have considered them as doctors. We look back on them now and think they are not doctors because their methods are so different from modern medicine. In 1000 years time (assuming humans actually make it that far) I wonder what they will think of our medicine, primitive?

The funny thing about the Alchemists is that modern science has confirmed that their fundamental beliefs are correct.

1. The possibility of transmuting a base metal e.g. lead into a noble metal e.g. gold, we know its possible and modern scientists have even done it but the method they employed meant that the process costs vastly more then the product produced.

2. Man has always wanted to live longer, look younger and live free from disease. We think this is a modern obsession but its not, the alchemists back then were looking for the same thing.
    To an alchemist who were largely concerned with the study of metals the ageing process was thought to be caused by something they called "the crude air".
    Alchemists knew from observation that metals rust because they are attacked by the air. They reasoned that the rusting process of a metal was caused by the same thing as the ageing process in humans, we age because we rust, that was their concept. The alchemists noticed that gold resisted rusting so naturally they thought it was the key to long life. They wanted to make potable gold (aurum potabile) a type of gold (not common Au) . When consumed it would stop the rusting (ageing) process because it itself could not rust (Incorruptible).

Today's science tells us that if we consume antioxidants we can slow down the ageing process. Antioxidants stop oxidation of the cells which is also what causes a metal to rust so as you can see the alchemists were not wrong after all.