Increasing attack speed

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by koolaid, Feb 8, 2007.

1. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for increasing speed.
    So far i have been recomended trying internal martial arts (tai chi to be specific)
    and also doing movements with wrist/ankle weights on.

Other than repeatition of movements is thier any other tips?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Weighted wrist will slow your attacks down not speed them up.

3. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Have you looked into any of the bruce lee techniques. there was a speed stricking tech he used to use , basically is sort of a giant rubber band which he used to whip his punches out fast and effectivlt , obviously this has been manufacturedand is just a giant rubber band , at work but if no one else has posted it , when i get home i will illaborate and post links.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  5. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

Cable cross. Pull the cables to your centreline and twist to the left to punch with the right (and vice versa for the left). I've found this to be an effective method, and have noticed a fair improvement in my punching speed and power, because the punch technique is actively fighting against weight. This can be done for several kinds of punches.

6. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Speed can be improved to an extent through muscle mass development and other such exercises. However, a lot of speed comes from technique--learning to relax before you strike and whipping your body.

7. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  8. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Thanks guys.

Thanks Hiroji, those links were helpful.

9. Yuske Urameshi

Yuske Urameshi Valued Member

In my own experience,

I personally have been crazy enough to use wrist and ankle weights to increase speed. It works, but you HAVE to be carefull because like all things, if done wrong, it can have horrible reprocussions.

if you want to do that here are some rules:
    1. dont wear them / train with them everyday to start off. start slowly maybe 2-3 days a week.

2.wear wraps, or other supports for joints (in this case, wrists, but expecially knees and ankles). failure to do so will open the door for SEVERE joint pain.

3.dont start the weight to heavy either. going from body weight (your normal weight) to adding 10 pounds is a dramatic change for your body. start at a nice low weight like just 2-3 pounds for the 2-3 day I mentioned, and adjust to comfortable. (more days, more weight ect.)

Unless your certifiably crazy like me :cool: , try the safer route mentioned!

-Yusuke

10. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Work on your mechanics. You want shorter, cleaner, better mechanics. Also, work on your timing. Timing makes you look faster becuase you're ahead of your opponent. That is where you will make the most gains.

11. wudangfajing

wudangfajing Banned Banned

The best thing would be plyometric. What is said above is correct when using any extra weight which in time any advanced athlete will train this way at some point. Martial art require a slightly different way to do just that create smooth fluid explosive power so keep that in mind do not rush at the training when using extra weight.

12. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

Practice practice practice sparring is always good or with a punching bag start punching slow and increas to the speed where you can still properly punch but faster than normal and keep it up your punches will get faster

13. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

i strongly recommend the ankle weights for kicking speed. i just used these 2 weeks before a tournement every other day and my speed and strength skyrocketed. just one thing. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH YOUR TECHNIQUE i did this awhile back and got sloppy on technique and ended up hurtin' my knees pretty bad. i usually do 50- 100 kicks on each leg and doing different kicks each day.

as for punching speed, free standing heavy bags do the trick along with plyo push ups. (though if your not a total weakling you'll most likely have to do what i did and put the bag up against a brick wall to prevent it from falling over during speed rounds.)

14. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

DON'T use ankle weights.
    Your legs arn't designed for that type of thing...it's a good way to do in your knees.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007