increasing arm size

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by luciobrazil007, Nov 25, 2012.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Show me one example of a big weak bodybuilder and I'll show you ten big strong ones.

These claims about bodybuilders being weak need to be burried, if you see a bodybuilder curling 35lb it's not because that is all he can curl, it's because that's all he needs to curl. Trust me, you don't get stage size without shifting some decent weight about.

Also did rack and run hammer curls today was super fun, been ages since I've done stuff like that.

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

this is true, curling is still teh gay though

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It isn't a matter of a body builder being weak.

It is per size of muscle that can be a illusion of strength.

Simply, a large muscle mass doesn't always in equal measure, per reflecting the same in strength

I've work out at many gyms over the decades, even had a few trainers and body building friends

The strongest person I have met, per their muscle portion, height, weight, was a dude much smaller than all of us at a particular time.

His muscles were "cut" (well defined) but not over the top towards "body building"

This fellow could out-perform most everyone (that I knew attending) in the gym, looking at his structure measuring muscle mass and his strength

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

How do YOU define strength?
    As in what strength tests did you use?

Nervous system plays the biggest role in power to mass comparisons.
    But guys with bigger muscles have the potential to be stronger than someone smaller, it just takes the right training style e.g. lots of heavy triples, doubles and singles.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Ive noticed that strength and size arnt the same thing, hi reps will give you a big pump and your muscles will look bigger, but intense load and lower reps will make you freakishly strong.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I don't think any of them are "weak" at all. I curl 35 lbs because that's all I can curl for the right amount of reps to gain strength. Naturally some guys will always be stronger than others.

My point is simply that a bodybuilder wants the shape, size, and symmetry vs a strong man comp who lifts strictly for strength. If a bodybuilder lifted strictly for strength, he'd likely never win a single contest.

I loved lifting when I was able to do it full bore, but with a bad back and shoulder, that's out of the question. A shame too because I had gone from a pretty fat 195 lbs and cut all the way down to 142 or so and I was about to start doing a clean bulk when my shoulder decided to give out. I tried lowering the weight and doing some other things, but it just wouldn't hold up. Oh well, i'll get it fixed and hope that it will be better and stay strong. I told the doctor to find someone to make me a shoulder socket out of titanium or stainless steel lol. Doubt they'd do it, but it would be cool

7. 47MartialMan

Read "bodyshot's" post below yours

8. Saved_in_Blood

If you want a good pump, try the workout I posted a page back. Use obviously the appropriate weight your body of course, you may lift less or more than me, but follow those rep ranges. Your arms will im immediately fill out your shirts for about an hour or 2. Take 3-4 grams of L-arginine and they may swell even more, like to the point of pain for several days, which you DON'T want. I did it once and did to much and I couldn't straighten my arms for an entire week. It was extremely painful, but at the time it just felt like I was getting a really good workout.

9. Mangosteen

that didnt at all answer the question i asked.

i judge strength based on physical appearance based on the size of someones legs
    big legs = strong guy from my experience

10. Saved_in_Blood

That wouldn't be correct, what if he just worked his legs and nothing else? There is the school of thought that increasing the size of the legs, chest, other large muscle groups will increase test levels, but i'm not sure how much proof has gone into that idea.

I have very skinny legs and by most peoples comments they believe I am a strong guy.

If you want your whole body to be strong, then your whole body must be trained, if you want 1 muscle to get stronger, then train that muscle. However, nothing will change that if it isn't trained properly you won't get the size and strength from it.

11. Mangosteen

i have yet to meet a guy who trains only his legs.
    most guys who have who have big legs are strong as hell and squat a lot, they're also big all over and involved in contact sport

conversely i've met loads of guys who only train their upper body's, bench and curling only, have small legs and clearly arent involved in any sport where the power needs to be applied (in most sports power generation starts at the hips).

most people are stupid in regards to what constitutes as strong and beliefs in weight training. this thread is proof
    plenty of sports teams have their players train in the "bodybuilding hypertrophy range" for half the year

they slowly change over to low rep, high load work for neurological adaptations and encourage fast twitch property conversion for peaking to game season

12. Saved_in_Blood

You simply said that if a guy had "big legs" that usually meant that he was strong. I said that wasn't the case. No, many guys at the gym if you watch them go in there, train their upper body and have these toothpick legs. Having big legs however is not a means to gain strength though. That was my main point.

I'm not sure what you mean that they change their routine before they start a season though. Your routine has to constantly change all the time or your growth and/or increase in strength will eventually cease as the body adapts very quickly.

As far as the heavier workload, what you are speaking of is the use for explosive power (plyometrics), which should be incorporated in any routine along with the "hypertrophy" range to hit all of the muscle fibers.

With a routine that would incorporate the 3 muscle fibers of type 1, type 2a and type 2b, you are using those slow twitch (T1) fibers that would be you on the exercise bike for an hour, and then the 2 fast twitch (2a and 2b) you are working the intermediate as well as the explosive range. There isn't much sense in not working all of the muscle fibers in the same work out rather than switching from one to another later on and losing muscle gains you have made.

Muscle doesn't always equate to more power in everything anyway. Most fighters might look bulky (some are), but others are just big, but based on height are actually quite lean. The more muscle on your body, the more oxygen you will use up very quickly. This doesn't suit someone like a fighter. Where a bodybuilder many times will only be on the treadmill when he/she is approaching contest time because they don't want to burn up the muscle they have worked so hard to gain. Therefore their endurance typically is not as good as a conditioned fighter, swimmer, runner, etc. etc.

Your point is understood that one who has bigger legs may be stronger, as that might be a sign that they do full body workouts and not just the upperbody ones for looks. However, if you watch boxers or any fighter for that matter, many times the punchers are not big and bulky at all, rather are pretty slim because real power is generated through technique and not the size of ones legs, arms, etc. etc.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You need to do some research instead of taking in what you view and interpreting it the only way you know Saved. Look at the most powerful punchers in boxing today and in the past, and look at their legs. Watch tyson in the squat rack, or jumping rope fast in a full squat. "big legs" in this context means "trained legs." You may be getting confused by bringing up 'boxer's legs.' Watch training routines where they are wearing shorter shorts and not the show shorts that go past the knee. You'll be surprised by how big boxers legs actually are.

14. Saved_in_Blood

I didn't say all of them, I said a lot of punchers. Hearns for instance was a huge puncher and was very slender, but he had leverage. Tyson? That's a bit of a different story. The very point I am trying to make is that just having bigger legs doesn't mean one is strong as was said earlier. I am pointing out that technique has more to do with being a puncher than size. Watch Hatton leg press 1100 lbs, and while he had a high KO ratio, his legs were huge for his size, but he didn't have concussive power, he won through attrition more than 1 punch KO's. You should know as much as anyone that technique is what makes the difference when it comes to power. That and typically being a natural puncher.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Natural punches tend to come with a great set of legs ;)

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That wasn't said earlier.
    What was said was that if you want a visible sign that someone is likely to be strong (if you really want one) then check out their legs as strong (trained) legs are more common in people that train to be functionally strong rather than people that train to be aesthetically pleasing in some way.
    Having big (trained) legs doesn't mean you are "strong" or that if you don't have them you aren't but it's a far better indicator than a set of curl bro biceps (I believe that's what they are called).

17. Saved_in_Blood

curl bro? lol

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You have read the opening posts I assume?

Guys, keep this on topic please. In addition we need a little more than two word posts.

We are a discussion forum, not a notice board.

19. 47MartialMan

I guess what is trying to be said is that
    Looks can be deceiving-book by its cover thing

20. Mangosteen

basically what i said earlier martialman47

you should train towards your goals