In your opinion, what is the difference between EPAK and Shaolin Chuan Fua?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by shaolinmonkmark, Aug 28, 2007.

1. bill007

bill007 New Member

Yes David, I will reply to you soon I'm very busy now.

Take care

Dom

2. smelly feet

smelly feet Valued Member

I agree with you there. So you have workout with Grandmaster Tatum?

3. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

i have not, but master's master has!

i have not, but master's master has!
    Pm me, and we will chat about the old USSD days!

4. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

So by your own admission, you don't know either then.

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I've seen Tatum live at the very first Gathering of Eagles in Vegas, and I will say he is definitely fast. His seminar was full up, so I was checking it out from the side lines like everyone in the overflow section. I must say tho he is kinda long winded from what I recall!

6. shaolinmonkmark

To Danjo

To Danjo:
    I myself , have not worked out with Tatum, but my master (, if you want to know more about my master, ask GUF, )

Has worked out with other 9th and 10th degrees that have worked out with him, and he is damn good.
    I know how good my master is, so for him to say that, believe me, i definently will take his word for it!!!
    Dan, if you want to see how good he is, i am sure he could schedule you in for a private!
    Let us all know how good he is!
    Anyhoo, i know alot of his video clips seem super fast slapping, but i assure you he is not a "Slapper".
    Hope that helps, DANJO.
    I want to go to the next gathering of eagles, because from what i have heard, you get alot of techniques,kempos, theories, and a mixture of different kempo material all at once.

7. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Tatum's school is in Pasadena. It's kind of far from Fullerton. Once I'm completely cleard from the Doctor from my tonsillectomy, I will go there and check it out. After all, Pasadena is only 10 minutes away from me.

8. shaolinmonkmark

to guf!!!

hey Guf,
    Before you do, try to call down at least 4 weeks in advance, to try to see if you can schedule a private with Tatum himself!!!
    that way, there would be no doubts about what first hand experiences you had with him.
    I would let him know of your background in the martial arts , as well.
    I hear he is really cool, and extremly humble, and knows ALOT about ESKRIMA!!!
    Cheers!

9. Gufbal1981

Eh, gotta wait for a voice first. :) Mine's really scratchy right now...

10. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

You have a master? I have a "instructor", and my students have a "instructor". My instructor has a 9th degree rank and grandmaster title, but I would never refer to him as "my master". The only one around me who has a "master" would be our dog Sandy.

11. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, I have no doubt that your USSD master is impressed. I'm pretty familiar with USSD 9th and 10th degrees and their skill level. Good luck in your training.

12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I thought I'd add on to what John Bishop said about "Master" etc. We generally get the terms for rank from the Shaolin Monks who had three basic levels: Students, Disciples, and Masters. The term "Master" was to indicate that one had atained a certain level of expertise and, hence, "Mastery" of Ch'an Buddhism and the martial arts. In other words; it was the art that was mastered, not the pupils. In Shaolin, you were a "Grandmaster" when you had trained a person to the level of Master. Hence, there were many Shaolin Grandmasters in history.

So, when you say, "I train under Master So-and-So" you are using the term correctly because it indicates his level of expertise in a martial art. When you say, "My master is So-and So" then you are making a statement that tells us you are a servant or slave rather than a student and that the only thing we know is that he has mastered you.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  13. Gufbal1981

Honestly, my instructor's now aren't "masters" they are my instructors. Even my Kung Fu instructor I call "Sifu" because he truely is.

14. shaolinmonkmark

to danjo

We all used to be formerly " USSD", However things changed,
    And we all left, parted ways, etc..
    Now we are all with NCK KEmpo.
    My "Master" is going up for his 6th soon.
    (Sorry, he is not my "Master" or "Lord" in my religion, if thats what you are referring too.)
    Cheers!

15. smelly feet

Soon as I hit 50 posts! :D

16. smelly feet

Have fun! Have you studied with Parkers kenpo before?

17. smelly feet

Does USSD even have a 9th degree master?

18. Gufbal1981

Nope. Will be interesting once I do it though...I'll report when I am all cleared.

19. Gufbal1981

I think Paul Taylor is a 9th degree now...I could be wrong, but I think that's what I heard.

20. shaolinmonkmark

PT is only opne is USSD

PT is only one is USSD that is 9th.
    My master learns from a 10th degree, and a 9th degree in the east coast.
    (Weird, he lives in california, but travels out there, but i guess that's what ya gotta do.)
    Can't wait to hear back about the lesson , Guf!