In your opinion, what is the difference between EPAK and Shaolin Chuan Fua?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by shaolinmonkmark, Aug 28, 2007.

1. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

In your opinion, what is the difference between EPAK and Shaolin Chuan Fua?

2. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

By "Shaolin Chuan Fa" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean the actual Chinese Shaolin martial art, or do you mean the Hawaiian kempo / Villari offshoots that use that same name?

3. shaolinmonkmark

what i meant

i mean Shaolin kempo, the chow/cerio lineage.

4. bill007

bill007 New Member

Shaolin Kempo is more related to George Pesare Kenpo & Tae Kwon Do/Cerio lineage, Chow/Chun/Cerio lineage is Nick Cerio's Kenpo, they are two distinct systems.

5. shaolinmonkmark

Now tell me more about EPAK, based off your own experiences!

Now tell me more about EPAK, based off your own experiences, not off of others or theories, please.
    Their is a 9th degree by my house, and he basically explained in a humble way that Skk is more " Kung-fu" and that American Kempo is more just "pure" kempo.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Well, that's confusing, not sure it's correct.

"Shaolin Kempo" can all be traced by to Fred Villari, who trained under Nick Cerio, before during and after Chow & Chun...

-D

7. smelly feet

smelly feet Valued Member

Is he a 9th degree in shaolin kempo? If so who is he?

8. shaolinmonkmark

the master's name

I am not sure how you spell it, but here it goes, "Master Georgion" ???(i hope thats how ya spell it.BTW, it is now called prokenpo.
    He is really cool, and humble, and still trains with Tatum, and all those guys.
    What my original question is being avoided is:
    What is the difference between the 2, NOT what lineage Differences their are.
    Can anyone explain at all?
    Cheers!

9. bill007

bill007 New Member

I was talking from my point of view, I was training in Shaolin Kempo for a bit less than 10 years, and now in NCK since last year and believe me, they are two different systems. Probably the best person who can answer all these questions is KenpoJoe if he's active on this board??? I will ask for more precision on the time frame of Shaolin Kempo and Nick Cerio's Kempo system creation to Mr. Poulin and try to give you exact details in few days.

Dominic

10. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

The patches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. shaolinmonkmark

Lol!!!!

LOL!!!!
    That was funny!!!!
    My current style in Nick Cerio Kenpo, with Thai/BJJ/Haganah/MMA
    All mixed in.
    Some times we go over aikido, sometimes we go over eskrima.
    Cheers!

12. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

13. shaolinmonkmark

think i will stay where i am at!

think i will stay where i am at!
    Sorry Satori!

14. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Master Georgion

His school is in Escondido. He is the promoter for the San Diego Grand National's yearly tournaments. He is a super nice guy but I know little byond that as I only volunteered to judge the last couple of years.

Research is the only thing I can tell you when it comes to finding a place to train- take a class EVERYWHERE and see what you like- ;)

15. smelly feet

smelly feet Valued Member

Grandmaster Larry Tatum is a bad @#$%

http://www.ltatum.com/TipOfTheWeek.html#week35

Ed Parkers kenpo has more practical fighting application then ussd kempo.
    It's about 20 karate techniques for yellow belt in Ed Parkers kenpo and 20 karate techniques to black in ussd kempo. Now I'm not saying all Ed Parkers techniques are practical but most of what I learned at ussd is useless.

16. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

The videos I just watched of Tatum don't qualify in my eye as badass. 20 techniques of crap vs 120 techniques of crap...I don't see the difference other than the stink.

17. Almost A Ghost

Almost A Ghost Valued Member

If I was to "strike a pose" after every move of a technique I did it would look bad ass too.

18. shaolinmonkmark

not to stick up for tatum, but...

not to stick up for tatum, but...
    Until you work out with him personally, then you will see.
    I know it looks "Flashy"
    He does seem to throw at 500mph, too, but believe me, he is damn good!!!
    Cheers!

19. bill007

bill007 New Member

Hi David, I'm trying to PM you but I can't, I have some info for you if you, I will try to e-mail you from here but I don't know if it's gonna work.

20. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I got your email and thanks! it cleared up some things that were unclear for me. Did you get my reply?

-D