in YOUR opinion, does Height matter in a fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sedvan, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Relax dude it's only an opinion, I think...

Anyways all short guys, average joes, and tall guys, have all disadvantages, and advantages against one another.

As a fact smaller guys have more strength than tall guys just to compare the masses of both.

Speed can be another with smaller guys.

Smaller guys can have an advantage with bigger people, or bigger people can use small guys to their advantage.

All about strategy, skill, and adaptation.

Nobody loses everytime, nor wins everytime. There is always someone who is better than that person.

It's just a greater outcome that larger guys have a more advantage than smaller guys. Or is it?

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah- it is. people who think that bigger guys dont have, in a general sense, an advantage, are idiots

3. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

no. this is what i like to call the "video game mentality". not everything is balanced and equal in the real world the way it is in video games - being short is a disadvantage, period. this doesn't mean short people don't kick ass, but they certainly have to make up for the disadvantage somehow.

4. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

"being short is a disadvantage, period."

Think of being short as a gift.

5. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i take it my post kind of flew over your head.

6. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

If you're going to idol worship at least get it right!

He was always let down by his kicks. Read Hawkins Cheung, Wong Shun Leung, anybody who actually fought/sparred/chi saoed with him: he had a really weak kick. He knew it and that's why he trained them so much and why he was training them until he died, but still he had a really weak kick, even at the end (I think WSL talks about sparring him just before he died).

Knew him well did you? :rolleyes:
    TOS question: If I call you an idiot at this point can I be sin binned? I don't think it's baseless ad hominem because I think you've just proved it.

:D THOSE WERE MOVIES! He said it himself, everybody says it: Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Kate Beckinsale ( :eek: :eek: ): MOVIES ARE NOT REAL LIFE! Sure he could probably beat Kareem Abdul Jabbar in real life, because he was a gangly basketball player! He wasn't a fighter, or even trained as one until he met Lee. I'd love to see him against one of the modern NBA bad boys trained or untrained: those guys work out! Nothing Lee showed in the movies had any bearing on his ability to kick donkey in real life.

The above sentence was so chewy it didn't make sense, but you're still forgetting the word 'If'! ;)

Your other post:
    Is that a fact? Where from? Where is your study? I think, in fact, you might find that it's not true. :p

Not all big guys go to Lumbering Oaf University. I know a lot of fast big guys, and a lot of slow small guys.

Yeah, in a multiple attacker situation they can pick them up and throw them at their enemies.

That's the spirit of my long-dead Grandma. She was a helluva fighter, and ironically a midget, but she does love to **** people around. Ignore her, and go find someone 6" taller than you to fight. Even untrained. Then come back and tell us how height doesn't matter.

7. Mr Punch

Nope, it's not easy.
    They are bad infighters. It is not necessarily connected to height and reach. If you have a tall person who is good at fighting at long range and useless at close range they are neglecting training their weak-points and are therefore not a good fighter. Everybody prefers fighting at arm's length, unless they are grappling. I've met the same trait in short fighters. It doesn't have anything to do with height per se.

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

for every tall guy who cant fight on the inside you have a taller guy who excels at it. take a look at dieselnoi if you dont know who he is, do a search, i posted a video a while back of him methodically destroying a shorter stockier guy from the clinch. or someone like Takayuki Kohirumia, Sato Yoshihiro...

9. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I think that height can make a difference but overall size is much more important. People on this thread seem to be equating height with size and it doesn't always work that way. I'm tall and skinny, but for fighting I would really prefer to be shorter and more powerful.

I agree with Ikken though that training is more important than build type. Being tall and skinny is the worst build for judo, yet you still get good lanky judoka.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  10. Timmy Boy

I've always found that little guys are the ones causing trouble because they have Napoleon complexes, whereas the big guys are secure and have nothing to prove. That's not to say it always works out that way, just a tendency.

11. reel deel

reel deel New Member

Anyone considered the fact that it may not be the shap or size of the man, may not even be down to what ever art it is he trains in?
    "Its not the size of the man in the fight that counts its the size of the fight in the man"
    I don't know who said that, but at the end of the day they are wise words.
    You ask some really big bouncers who give them the most trouble when it comes to ejecting someone from a pub or club they say the short guy every time.
    I doubt there were many Japanese, Chinese, or Korean masters over six foot, same with the rest of south east asia, yet there are records of these guys splattering their western counterparts in the early days
    the last post as well by Timmy-boy about little guys being the worst trouble makers is true.
    In my younger days, I was terrible, I even did six months in the Glass House for fighting
    which really straightened me out, but even now, when I'm working the doors if theres a flare up it's nearly always a small guy, and he usually tends to be as wide as a truck and has a lower centre of gravity than an astronaut.Human bowling balls is what I call em, the use their mass in a charge and they can knock 10 people over like pins, I've seen it happen, I'm not say their undefeatable, no one is undefeatable, its finding the right tactic to beat them thats the hard job.

12. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i don't think anyone is saying that. it's just that if you're fighting a taller person who is any good, he can control the distance with his jab. if you aren't good enough to get inside, you're pretty much screwed because while he's hammering you, you're still out of range.

a lot of people seem to think that shorter people have a strength advantage just because they're stockier. not true at all. sure, they might be able to bench more since they have shorter arms and the bar has to travel less distance, but how does this increase their striking effectiveness or ability to control someone in the clinch/on the ground? and if you really think there's a strong correlation between numbers in the weight room and success in a fight, you should recognize that people with longer arms have a better mechanical advantage with pretty much all pulling movements, including deadlifting and chin ups.

13. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Those who have no faith are weak. No confindence, no effort, no nothing. So at least you could maybe be a bit nicer, or respectful. Many people still honor Bruce Lee. Not for a weak kick, but for his attitude, skill, ability, and the creation of Jeet Kune Do.

You know, I still think he is an amazing guy. Every one of us are amazing too, and unique.

Why would I truly intentually want to try to fight someone who is bigger than me? To prove that you are right?

All of us short or tall have some potential to reach higher goals. Confidence, attitude, knowledge, awareness and etc. Someone smaller could avoid having a fight with a person that is taller in the first place. If you have successfully avoided getting into a conflict in person to someone who is bigger. Congrats... Even taller people can be afraid of smaller people, not only that but in their numbers.

Long reach is not an importance when you are up close.

You know what they say the taller they are the harder they fall. There is about 100 and something pressure and vital points on the body, that can be pointed out with a smaller person. Even little pressure on a pressure point can bring a taller person in pain.

An arm could be broken with as little as 20 pounds of pressure on the right spot, on a tall person.

Monkeys on the other hand are quite small, but potentually dangerous, because they are 4 times stronger than us. A small 70 pound chimp can bring 180 pound man over easily, as we can get tossed like a sack of potatos.

You could on the other hand, could try to go up against an angry 5 foot chimp which I say would weigh around 130-150 pounds. Then I would be able to tell you of how you came out against the 5 foot chimp, and tell you that the size doesn't matter.

A bee, wasp, or hornet could kill us and they are a lot smaller than us. Viruses, octopuses, jellyfish, snakes, paranas and etc.

You know in the animal kingdom it's survival of the fittest, not survival of the tallest.

We are also part of that animal kingdom, as we are mammals, instead of thinking that we are immortal gods on this planet, cause we aren't.

Anyways enough with that. We're both right height does and doesn't matter. We should think that way, and keep it that way, because we could keep on backfiring and it won't stop and all of us would get upset.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  14. Mr Punch

Look, my problem isn't that you have faith in things... it's that the things you have faith in are blinding you to simple facts. Bruce Lee was great. I don't mean his personality or his fighting, I never saw him fight, and I never met him: but his influence, and of course I loved his movies. That doesn't mean I'm goping to start worshipping him especially not including in that woship things that he was famous for being bad at... like kicking! And it doesn't mean I'm going to take the movie fight of Kareem as proof of short people 'having an advantage' over taller people.

Why? Because it was fiction. Because the FACT is taller people have the advantage if most other attributes are similar. Because if you ever have to use your training in the street these kind of misconceptions could get you killed. So forgive me if I'm not being nice enough, but I tend to think it's rather important.

This is part of the same delusion that you seem to be having: some people are schmucks. Through and through. I don't hold to the Disneyfied version that everybody is a unique and special snowflake.

I meant in realistic training , and no, not to prove me right, but to discover things yourself about fighting bigger people and about your personality out of enjoyment and curiosity in your martial art. Things that may help you to escape in a streetfight at some point in the future.

Yeah, I agree, but a realistic assessment of your shortfalls (no pun intended :D ) is essential in the first place. And a constant reassessment of your progress helps to determine your potential in all areas: don't forget potential is not all positive, there are potential limits too. Some of your limits are already determined (your size) and you have to work harder than somebody who doesn't have those limits.

Reel deel is correct: there are some short barrel-like monsters out there. IMO us average guys (I'm 6'1, average-skinny build) have more work than either the very tall or the very short.

This is irrelevant. Of course avoiding the fight is better than fighting, but that has no relationship to height! :D

random images of hordes of midgets swarming a tall guy - OMG back in Lilliput!. Er, so what?

WRONG WRONG abso-****ing-lutely WRONG! If you remember only one thing from my ramblings remember this. What you just said is poppycock, plain and simple!

OK, we are not necessarily talking aout 5'4 guys taking on 7'ers. In most people the height (and therefore reach unless we are talking about one of Ikken Hisatsu's T Rexes!) difference is going to be relatively minor. This makes the following all the more important: the inside game IS NOT some magic formula that gets you to some safe area where you can happily pummel away in safety with your short arms.

1) It is very difficult to get on the inside with most people, trained or not. That's why every MA has many drills, techs and principles for doing so.
    2) People have these foldy things in the middle of their arms called elbows. Even martial artists who don't actively train elbow strikes have them and they naturally come into play for covering often causing some damage on the way.
    3) If you're a good grappler, you should be better at getting the inside and at knowing what to do with it, but again YOU have this realism deficiency! You are busy talking about everybody's potential whilst constantly underestimating your taller opponent... and you haven't even met him yet! The reason good grapplers get good (and it should be the same with any other sensitivity based art like tai chi or kung fu) is that they practise constantly against resisting opponents. With your idealism about the inside I guess you don't. THERE IS NOTHING EASY IN A FIGHT!

Puh-lease. They also say 'What you don't know can't hurt you'... try telling that to the survivors of the Titanic. You're getting random.

Er, then you start talking about pressure points, which will get you killed in a fight but that's a different can of worms...

And then you start on about getting mugged by angry chimpanzees and hornets. We are people. We don't have stings and we don't usually bite our enemies' faces off. If you want to talk about strategies for fighting taller people great, if you want to talk about Animal Planet might I suggest another thread?

It comes down to what I said before: attributes attributes attributes! Speed conditioning technique aggression etc.

15. Mr Punch

OMGRAOTFLMAO!
    :D :D :D

Priceless comedy right there!

16. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

thank you for making some sense, mr. punch. it was starting to get a little retarded in here.

17. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

Yeah I do comment on random things lots, eh what can I say it was late, I was tired, and posted some random bull**** a book on it would be nice. I don't know what I would call it :confused:

Meh

18. Timmy Boy

Some people are using the words "size" and "height" pretty much interchangably on here, and saying "big guys have an advantage" is a different point to saying "tall guys have an advantage". Some people are talkng about the advantages of size, such as strength and weight, which often don't apply to people who are simply tall.

They don't have an advantage because they're stockier, but many people like me are tall but lanky and not very strong. Short strong people are my nemesis in sparring! :D