in YOUR opinion, does Height matter in a fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sedvan, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

take a look at him for what? do you have some kind of insight on how he fought tall people, other than movie fu? sorry to break it to you man- movie fights arent real

2. reel deel

reel deel New Member

I'm Just over Five six inches, I have found that this works as an advantage for me, for one people always underestimate me, because of my height and because I'm quiet spoken, however in a fight I've found that getting in close and pushing back the jaw unbalances the attacker, if I'm against a Kicker (I love fighting kickboxers,Tai Kwon do fighters etc) I trap the legs and break the knees or trip them or attack the groin, if I'm against a boxer I tighten up my defence keeping my own kicks low and hard, if i'm against a grappler I try to aim for the eyes and the throat before he gets me on the ground.
    Beause of my disability (I have a seriously injured left leg) I have changed my stance to south paw, I find that this is also an advantage as most peoples main punch (haymaker) is done right hand back left leg forward, as they attack I launch about six powerful jabs to the face followed by a left cross then a push to the jaw, this opens the groin for a knee, as they bend forward from the shock of this attack I bring my elbows and head in to play, the whole thing is so perfectly timed and practiced that most of my fights last less than ten seconds I've been doing it twenty odd years now professionally and I've never come off second best. I think if you have several techniques that work and get to know them so intimately that they become as second nature like eating or brushing your teeth size or strength in fighting should not matter

3. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

oh, hello 13 year old l33t dude. so nice of you to drop by.

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Damn I wish I could have your babies, your just so powerfull and manly.

5. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

You seem to be assuming a lot.....

6. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I find this whole, "does size matter in a fight?" thing annoying. Surely by now it should have became common sense that size does matter in a fight.

You could say, BJ Penn is small, I bet he could beat "a guy" much bigger than him, yeah he probably could, but put him again Fedor Emelianenko, and my money is on BJ getting destroyed - why? Because Fedor is so much bigger and stronger.

7. reel deel

reel deel New Member

real life

I expect the if B J Penn was allowed to gouge this other guys eyes out or bite of a finger or his nose, the thing is again I, believe I mentioned this in another post, sport genrally has rules, rounds and a referee to stop things if they go too far. You cannot judge what happens in a ring to what happens in the street.

8. reel deel

reel deel New Member

Slindsay I'd Like to take you up on your offer, but im very particular about who I make babies with.
    Gojujoe I never Assume or under or overestimate anyone in my line of work it can get you killed.
    If your only perspective is from the veiw point of sport or tradition, and you try that on the street you will lose.
    I am not making any empty claims I'm speaking the truth, you fight someone bigger you equalise the fight in any way that it takes, its whats taught in Krav Maga

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

this a common occurence then or just one of the fantasies in your (midget) head?

10. reel deel

reel deel New Member

I thought the idea was for all of us to share our views here, if you look at my other postings in other areas my freind you find that I rate Thai boxing highly because of the very fact that elbows head butts and knees are used, which can be used well at close quarters, the kick boxing I was referring to was the american sport style.
    As for it being a common occurance it used to be quiet common many years ago when Kick boxing was virtually a new sport,(wako Ithink it was called) that most ill informed people thought was the ultimate in self defence. they gave you a leg you took it, the thing is with midgets, is that we have a bad attitude, due to people underestimating our abilities, just as you are with this post, just remember the smallest things in the universe are the most deadly. I haven't insulted you or your art, though your reaction is to be expected I suppose, people still scoff at Geoff Thompson, Peter Consterdine, and Marc Mcyoung all of who tend to speak their minds where martial arts vs street fighting is concerned.
    it is only since the emergence of MMA that some people have started to listen but you can't please all the people all fo the time, as for fantasies I'm a bit too old to have those now son.

11. DarthSamurai

DarthSamurai Banned Banned

Height is *a* factor. To think otherwise is foolish.

Technique is *the* factor. To think otherwise is also foolish.

technique > size

12. Sedvan

Sedvan Valued Member

no.

And the question was height not size. Theres a difference in the meaning of the two words. I find you annoying. I'm fishing for martial art techniques to incorporate into my personal fighting style.

13. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I answered your question, so how the hell does that make you find me annoying?

And if BJ Penn and Fedor were both allowed to bite and eye gouge, then I'm pretty sure the result will be the same. Size/height/weight/strength matters a lot despite what small people want to believe.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  14. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

People, physics totally doesn't matter in a fight. ;)

15. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

You will always have a disadvantage against someone who is taller than you, always. However this doesn't stop you winning a fight

16. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

The thing of why I compared Bruce Lee, is of how he didn't rely on his height as being a disadvantage.

But his advantages were: incredible speed, powerful kicks and punches, fast reflexes, and ability to read moves. His flexablity for him being able to kick over 7 feet in the air.

He had nothing to worry, or to fear. He kept improving his skills and ability to adapt against larger opponents even if it weren't real but just a movie. Everything is there in him that made me wonder of why Bruce Lee is soo damn good.

If he can put dents in his machines, to kick is own 300 pound punching bag touching the roof, and holding out an 80 pound barbell out straight with one arm.

Something is telling me that his height doesn't really matter. For what he could do.

17. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

what a horrible post. i'm about ready to break out the flame form.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

my lord. if you want to use an example of a short guy wtfpwning big guys at least use someone CREDIBLE. use this guy instead-

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5256184563918766029&q=zambidis

dont know whether he can do parlour tricks like 1 finger press ups but he can do what counts- kick serious ass

19. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Height gives your opponent the advantage of reach... however you can easily use that to your advantage as well. I noticed alot of really tall guys have a hard time fighting opponents in close quarters..

20. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

LOL that man is a speedy powerhouse.... i love that flying right hook lol ... and the knees to the face :D:D