In need of Silat style help...

Discussion in 'Silat' started by IaidoFreak, Mar 18, 2009.

1. IaidoFreak

IaidoFreak New Member

I was wondering about what form of Silat I should take. Currently, I'm taking Kuntao Silat deThouars, but I'm not that all... convinced... that I'm learning adequite silat. I'm not sure if it's the actual style, or the way that it's being taught to me.

I'm very much interested in kerambit work, along with lethal takedowns that are practical and efficent. I'd like to get an equal amount of training in both; so if possible, would you post any style suggestions and what their high-points are? I'd like to study a more orthodox form of Silat rather than deThouars, but in your opinion, also, what is more efficent? The Dutch based Silat Systems or the Indoneasian Based Systems?

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

You have other choices available? Depending on where you are located finding anyone teaching Silat is lucky.

3. IaidoFreak

IaidoFreak New Member

I'm planning on going to college soon, so I'm willing to chose my college based on the location of a Silat school; my scores give me a pretty wide range of choices in the United States.

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

A word of advice, by all means find the best silat school you see fit, but when choosing an education, base your decisions on the quality of the institution and not the silat schools nearby.

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

It's important to remember that Uncle Bill's personal preference is for the Chinese aspects of his system. Uncle has good Silat understanding but his heart is really in the Kuntao and that preference is reflected to varying degrees in all the people who train with him (there are some exceptions who favor the Silat expression in their own style certainly but they are in the minority).

The system I teach also does karambit work and hard takedowns. The system, Sikal, draws from both Kali & Silat but the karambit & takedowns come almost entirely from the Silat side of the mix for us. Of course I have a bias toward Sikal and we have instructors in Ohio (Dayton [HQ], Columbus, near Cleveland), Utah (Utah Valley), California (Los Angeles) and I'm in the process of moving to Arizona (Sedona area). We also have some training groups in various places (I'd have to ask my instructor - head of the system - for a complete list of the training groups but I know of one in Louisville, KY and one in Marietta, GA).

Other systems that might appeal to you would be Mande Muda (which is part of the influence in the system I teach) and Silat Suffian Bela Diri.

Mike

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Second what Wali says.
    Get the best education you can. Martial arts is a hobby which is supposed to enhance your life, not a substitute for the really important things. There's plenty of time for optimizing your hobbies later.

7. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

I concur with what Wali and Tellner say, and from a Javanese perspective I'd like to add that your education (college) is forms one of the most important part of your silat.
    You already have your silat "style" that is how your DNA makes you and how your mind is predisposed. That is why IMO uncle Bill is doing 100% tulen silat.
    I have talked with uncle Bill on silat.tv ... he is a good person IMO.
    You do Karate or Kuntao and if you have silat culture and mindset then your Karate and Kuntao as expressed by you is your silat.
    I like Mike's mix for Sikal too ... sounds like it is awesome silat.

Rahayu and cheers,
    Krisno

NB. Silat is not something you do in a club ... silat is what you are. e.g chivalry, honour, compassion are all the hallmarks of the ideal of a pendekar. Just as carrying a rifle or being in the military does not make one a warrior, playing at pencak does not automatically mean you're pesilat much less pendekar.

Even many of modern Indonesian don't understand this.

Pencak though ... you can do it in a club ;) ... and you're pencak is a subset of your silat ... confused? I know I am :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  8. Gorka

Gorka Valued Member

Cimande Macan guling

Hi Rebo Paing,

Let me share with you my art : Pencak SIlat Cimande Macan Guling. This is a real authentic an dtraditional art from West Java - Banten district.
    I've learnt it in the remoted villages from Banten with the best masters of that style. In Cimande Macan Guling, we have traditional forms with their applications which includes close range and "deadly" takedowns. I also include Kerambit work in my teaching.
    Of course you probabley won't find a school in the USA as there is only one learning teacher in the US. But I've made a instructional DVD (first of a serie) that is being done to help you discover this style with his beginning forms, applications...

You can find more informations about this style on our website :
    http://www.cimandefrance.com

To purchase the DVD : http://www.saudara-kaum.fr

Here is a link where you'll be able to check out the DVD trailer :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp2uf4AXnAw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp2uf4AXnAw[/ame]

If you've any further questions, just ask, I'll do my best to help you on your quest

Regards,
    wassalam
    Gorka

9. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

'Nuwun mas Gorka, thank you for your kind offer, I'm afraid that I'm too old to learn many new tricks and already set in my silat ways :).
    Pendekar Cimande sungguh hebat! Hidup Macan Guling! Hidup Saudara Kaum!

Salam hangat,
    Krisno Pryosusilo

10. Drose427

Drose427 New Member

Does anyone have any Idea if there is a silat school or instructor in athens, ohio? Im going to Ohio university next year and would like to know if they have silat or any other style. I'm currently in taekwondo, and if my academic and taekwondo schedules I would love to learn a new style. Especially Silat since I love physicality and its an up close and personsal style.

11. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

http://www.browninstitute.com/
    this school is in Dayton... not exactly close but if contacted the school, I'm sure they would know about training groups in Athens. good luck.