In need of a new routine!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Arnoo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I swear i said this earlier.
    as well as saying how its important to keep specific work separate from genera conditioning.
    You'll notice that even high level athletes have work outs dedicated to specific work and other to general conditioning...

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's easy to say but it's hard to do (for my situation at least). Assume I only have 3 hours to work out daily, if I spend all my 3 hours in "general condition", I won't have any time left for my "special work". Most of the time, I just found myself too tired to do my "special work" at home right after 3 hours gym work out.

What will be the priority? From a Chinese wrestler point of view, those "special work" is far more important than those "general condition". Since I'm 1/2 tradition and 1/2 modern, I try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. This way, I won't feel guilty when I come home from 3 hours gym workout. After all, to continue another 2 hours "special work" at home may be a bit too hard for my age (I'm no longer 20 years old). :cry:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Bulking comes down to eating not really lifting, the essence of the programme was to make you strong and muscled if you want to cut use steady state cardio and your judo to burn calories and watch what you eat.
    I like the programme because its simple, easy progression and has worked for decades
    But wendlers system is good too but there probably more volume with wendler especially with the assistance exercises so watch it if bulking is not what you want :cool:

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Whilst I agree totally with your second point, I think it’s a stretch to call wendler that, he was a good lifter and it’s a good programme, but hes not produced any real world champs in powerlifitng and not worked with any fighters.
    For martial artists id suggest martin rooneys stuff and joel jamisons work, they are world class S and C coaches who have worked with countless athletes

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Why on earth are you training 3 hrs a day in the gym?
    You can get a good strength workout done in about 30-60 minutes, spend the next 2 hrs doing your special skills stuff lol

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Ah i meant more in exposure, his book and program has exploded accross the world quickly, and so many people are using it, addmitedly he's not coaching world class athletes but thats not really his 'thing'

YKW i'm interested on how the strength devolped with a chi-sau differs from the strength developed woth a barbell?

no it isnt, the strength work will make him strong the skill work will improve his skill, doing both at once will do both badly.

if your taking 3 hours to finish your workout you've already indicated the quality and efficiency of it.

training economy. why do a 3 hour workout that wont acctually make me that strong when i can do 3 movements in an hour and get stronger very quickly.

I'm not saying these tools are useless but if your goals are to get very strong and very powerfull why not use the training of the strongest and most powerful athletes?

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Fair enough, it’s a good programme but I think if you want a simple progressive system of training plenty have been written about over the years and is out there, theres no need to really pay for his or any system the old stand by 3x5 or 5 by 5 systems work great for most people, afterall as much as we all like to think we are special and advanced nearly everyone is realistically a beginner and will respond to the same training that was being used 50 years ago lol
    I liked wender and his stuff, but his whole personality is getting a bit much now (although I can see the marketing angle working great for him)

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Whilst we are all making these points to YKW its probably worth noting he trained with one of the best Chinese grappling coaches there has ever been and has decades of grappling coaching experience, sometimes what the sports manuals tell us and what experience tells us is slightly different

Case in point a former iowa wrestler and USA OL team hopeful once recited a story to me of when he went to Russia to train, they trained in an old freezing room, had very limted weights, didn’t do any cardio or anaerobic training (ie no stiar running, no circuits, no bike work all of which their college S abnd C coaches had told them was essential), they simple drilled the basics over and over for hours and then wrestled for hours

When this guy and the visiting Americans laughed at being told to do 10,000 reps of stance walking up and down the hall for warm up and said what about conditioning work etc…the Russian coach simply replied when was the last time any of you lot won a OL gold medal…..

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i wondered about the crazy amount of cardio americans do in a power based sport too...
    my olympic coach and wrestling coach are linked by the same man - a russian fellow who runs national training for wrestling but also would attend all the olympic lifting camps and train along side them.
    thats just how they do it in russia apparently.
    the manliest men.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

making weight is onereason (they cut a hell of a lot) mentality is another ie as in Iowa we will out work you and break you, also most colleges have a S and C coach who needs to justify his salary

11. seiken steve

Totally agree, i like 531 becuase the big work set works well with my mentality, but its no different to any other progressive overload system.

I tried to ignore the personality stuff, its just dull an no-one acctually lives life like that. the NOV is just brash and probably very apealing to the 'i must be alpha' type.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

My wife needs to get on walking machine (or step master) to lose weight for an hour and half. That's why I try to use the gym equipment to do my "special skills stuff". I do have all the "special skill stuff" equipments at home. That's why I feel guilty to spend 3 hours in the gym. If I can do my "special skill stuff" in that 3 hours, I'll feel less guilty.

By wrestling 15 rounds a day is "general strength training". When you use "firemen's carry" or "embrace" to lift a 250 lb guy over your head is free weight training. To be strong is a must in the grappling world. There is no argument on that.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Thanks for pointing this out. My teacher was a strong guy. He loved to ask his students to bite on his arm muscle. None of his students could sink their teeth into his arm muscle. At his age of 73, he still had 45 inch chest. He could crash a grip spring test equipment with his monster grips.

All my life, I tried to be as strong as him until I became a vegeterian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did bring

- the 1st US Chinese wrestling team to compete in Taiwan in 1984,
    - the 1st US Chinese wrestling team to compete in China in 1985, and
    - the Texas Sanda/Sanshou team to compete in Taiwan in 2006.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I do know that some of the "ancient Chinese equipment training" may sound strength to some people in the 21th centry. But "ancient" is not alway mean "not efficency". That's the point I was trying to make.

15. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

16. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I disagree with you here. Strength is important in any day-to-day activities. I have yet to hear a downside of having strength. Considering a self defense situation, strength is a plus as well. Adrenaline tends to make people very, very hard/fast. Anyone who thinks they can harmonize flawlessly with a tackle or hay-maker without the use of strength is going to be in for a nasty surprise.

17. seiken steve

leave this in the thread thats acctually about that subject.

i think this has been derailed enough already.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The Chinese wrestling is a "sport of strength". Chinese have never tried to hide that fact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  19. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Like I said, 5/3/1 is more bulking/strenght program. In order to make progress with it, you need to eat at maintenance level (mostly strength training) or above maintenance (bulk, strength). When you're cutting, you're eating bellow maintenance.

From what I have read and discussed with my nutritionist, it is generally easier on the body to do some hypertrophy training while cutting rather than strength training. Low reps, heavy lifts put more stress on your body and CNS, and when you're cutting you just don't have enough calories to continue like that for 3-4 months. You'll start feeling weaker, especially in addition to doing MA.

And hypertrophy is really not that bad. I think anyone who lifts weights should train in hypertrophy, strength, and endurance. Obviously, you have to keep it at reasonable levels and not dedicate your life to it. Trust me, you're not going to do 10+ reps and next week look like Franco Columbu or Lou Ferrigno :)

In the end, your weight loss will mostly depend on how your diet is. Regardless of which program you choose, if you have a good diet plan you will be dropping weight. One pound per week is pretty good. If you go any more than that you risk losing muscle as well. And like Seiken recommended, after you're done with your weight loss, do some metcon/HIIT stuff - just make sure to eat at maintenance level.

Good luck with your goals.

20. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

So just did the last session of the first week thought I’d give a small update here. I'm feeling great even though I’ve been training hard past 6 days, tomorrow a complete rest day don’t think I’ve ever earned it as much as this week :)

I'm really loving going to the gym and getting out of there within 90 minutes (actual training is slightly more than an hour), whilst still having the energy to make it up the stairs back home. It feels like my body is responding really well to the new routine but I’ll have to complete a full cycle before I can definitely make that conclusion, however so far so good. Also it feels like I have more focus in the weight room itself due to having only 3 exercises to focus on instead of the 7/8+ exercises I’d used to do.

Will report back here to let you know how the progress is going!