In need of a new routine!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Arnoo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Been ages since I’ve lasted posted but I’m in need of some serious advice and what place better than MAP! So basically I’ve been doing the Starting Strength program for the last 2,5/3 years and the gains have been amazing. I'd estimate that overall my strength has nearly doubled, however I think I’ve reached the limits the program can take me. So I’m looking for a new routine that can help my strength reach the next level. So far I’ve been lifting 2 times a week full body focusing on the squat, deadlift, bench and military press in a 3x5 fashion (1x5 for deadlift). I've also alternated between barbell and dumbbell bench press.

Things I’ve been doing to supplement my main exercises are:

Pull downs (2x10)
    Rows (on a machine) (2x8)
    weighted sit-ups (1x15)
    Russian twists (1x30)
    Leg press (2x8)

I'm doing judo on Tuesdays and Thursdays and some additional cardio (running) 2 times a week. So far I’ve always done lifting 2 times a week full body but I don't mind going 4 times a week in a split routine or something.

So what kind of routine would you guys advise me, on what days should I lift and what additional exercises should I take? I'd like to keep focusing on the big 4 I mentioned earlier, in starting strength the power clean is also recommended but I’m a bit cautious to add that to my routine.

Thanks in advance,

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

to be honest 531 sounds ideal for you, its 20 quid but so worth it.

you'll be hitting the big 4 every week, have to option to add powercleans if you feel up to them, have space to play with accesory movements and will always make progress.

something jim posted which is IMO super cool is to split your year in 4 blocks of 3 months.

block 1: 531 BBB focus on getting massive
    block 2: 531 for powerlifing, focous on upping 1rms/do a meet
    block 3: 531 focus on conditioning, get super ripped, be super fit
    block 4: 531 full body template, get well rounded, more athletic and build work capacity for BBB.

4. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Thanks guys 5/3/1 seems really interesting reading the T-Nation article at the moment. I don’t mind spending 20 bucks on valuable information that’ll last me a lifetime, Rippetoe's book is probably the best money I’ve ever spent on a book!

It seems best to train 4 times a week in the 5/3/1 program and with my Judo sessions on Tuesday and Thursday in mind what days would be best for me to work on the weights ?

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

My judo is also on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I go to the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays (and also do Saturdays, but considering a change to more conditioning work). Twice a week, or three times a week would still work, I just keep dates on my workout sheets, so month 1,2,3 etc doesn't necessarily follow calendar month. Occasionally if I've missed a gym session then I've done it after my Thursday judo (as it is an early class 6-8pm). I started 5/3/1 in January 2012 and noticed some improvement in my bench lately which had stalled for 5-6 months last year.

6. seiken steve

The book offers 2, 3 and 4 day templates.

Your attitude and ability to stick to SS seems like you'll strive on the program.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

didn't cosmic and gary have a spreadsheet that auto-calculated stuff for 5/3/1?

i'll drop them the thread link and see if they can help.

8. seiken steve

Still think people who are going to run the program should read/pay for the book though, but yeah they had a good one, I've also a decent one i'd be willing to send out.

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Cheers Fish. Yeah, if I recall, Gary uploaded a copy to some webspace somewhere but I don't recall where. Hopefully he'll see this and link to it.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

5/3/1 is a good one. I'd also recommend Dinosaur Training for a variety of different routines, ideas, and primarily, a sound training philosophy.

11. seiken steve

yeah brooks is a very smart guy, i'd love to get either chalk and sweat or dinosaur training but current budgets have reduced the cash i can spend on training amd traning books.

#sadface

12. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Umm maybe its just me but if you google reg parks and spend about 10 minutes on the net you can find the original 5 x 5 programme with progression, which reg used to become the strongest bodybuilder of his generation and which countless other people used before the invention of the internet
    its cheap (read free) works and …well what more do you want?

Brooks wrote about Parks in the dinasuar files before he went off the rails and into money making lol

Steve if you cant afford tbrooks books but would like to read some of the files e-mail me and i might know someone who has them on e-file :eek:)

14. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Thanks for all the info guys I’m gonna give 5/3/1 a try, gonna work out the details tomorrow and post my schedule here. Gonna get the book as well 20 dollar is nothing for a good program in my opinion + I like to read :)

15. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Spreadsheet is awesome cheers Cosmic and Gary!

16. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Orderded a paperback version of the book on amazon today, unfortunely its gonna take like 2 months for it to ship from USA to EU....................... However i did find a free online version "yay interwebs" and on page 30 now. Did the first session today and it felt like such a breeze was done in less then an hour which is just so much easier then the 2+ hour sessions i was doing before, which had me compleltely broken and depleted afterwards. Gonna work out exactly what i'm going to do for the coming month including assistance exercises and post it up here tommorw.

Been months since I was this excited about my weight training :)

17. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

@Icefield

I've looked up the 5x5 program and it looks to me like a bulk up program and I’m kind of trying to lose some mass, currently at 215 wanna cut down to 205. The 5x5 program seems very much like the starting strength program (which as I understand it is in essence also aimed at bulking up) just with even more volume. Gonna try 5/3/1 for the next 3 months see how that works out thanks for the info though!

18. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

19. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

Hmm... it was always my understanding that lower volume means less bulk in general. Wendler states in the book as well that he has used it to lose a lot of weight (although he was enormous before so it'd be hard not to lose weight in his case).

Only took a glance at the PHAT program but isn’t it just a BB routine with some powerlifting added in, aimed mainly at hypertrophy ?

20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter