In a world full of guns...

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Gengar, Aug 30, 2015.

1. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Intimate? Also, you seen a photo of Helio Gracie before?

2. Gengar

Gengar Valued Member

call me ignorant but getting into the missionary position with some bloke isn't my ideal martial art. I just have no interest in BJJ. I actually stress to people if they ask about JJ that it isn't BJJ.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4u0JPQDjPQ"]Jiu Jitsu GAY!? - YouTube[/ame]

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Gengar, it's 2015. We've moved away from the BJJ is gay references.

4. Gengar

Gengar Valued Member

Regardless. It just isn't my taste. A BJJ came to Taekwondo last year to demonstrate and show people everyone wasn't having any of it :')

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8x1YePAJvs"]South Park - WTF Wrestling Best Scene - YouTube[/ame]

In all seriousness, why jiu jitsu, like, why not judo? jjj's refined descendant?

Also, i can respect that it isn't to your taste, you are well within your rights to believe that, but do know that bjj is vastly superior from a combat standpoint.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  6. Simon

Then that's all you had to say.

7. Simon

Okay, MOD warning.

Leave the gay references out of it.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Dammit I was JUST about to post something. Aaaaargh.

9. Pretty In Pink

Hello Ignorant, I'm Tom.

If breaking arms is Gay then I'm a raging homosexual.

Also, Helio Gracie everyone:

[​IMG]

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I really get why this show never made it past the pilot.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think that saying "barely out of diapers" is a particularly denigrating way of saying that someone is just starting to learn. I would have described myself much the same way when I got my black belt in 1993. Hell, it's not like I know it all now, even within my area of expertise.

But delivery aside, I think that seeking instruction is a tacit acknowledgment that someone else understands more about what you're trying to achieve than you do. There's no guarantee that the instructor you've chosen is GOOD at teaching weapons. But that's a separate issue. Assuming they are, there may be very compelling reasons to do so. Coming from an art that leads with weapons, I can tell you that the benefits to empty hand are huge.

But set that aside for a moment as well. People grow as individuals in a martial art precisely because it asks of them things that make them uncomfortable. If you cherry pick those topics with which you're comfortable, then you're avoiding many of the challenges that make martial arts beneficial. "Just skipping those classes" seems like a good way to shortchange both yourself and the teachers in which you've supposedly placed some trust.

To clarify something, are you being asked to learn about guns, gun defense, etc.? Or other weapons? I don't like guns personally, but that wouldn't preclude me learning to defend against them. But I'm curious. I'm not sure what bearing an aversion to guns would have on, say, learning to defend yourself against a bludgeon.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Wasn't having any of it? In what way do you mean that?

13. Pretty In Pink

They definitely all got subbed in less than a minute.

14. Gengar

Gengar Valued Member

It was a show? I thought it was something that was made just to diss BJJ (one of those viral videos I see on Facebook a lot) If I may ask what show was it?

You can break just as many arms in TJJ. After a throw rather than finish with figure four go into an arm bar? Shoulder arm lock? Break a shoulder... elbow lock? Back hammer lock to just name a few.

They both have have their merits :)

The students weren't comfortable climbing on top of each other in missionary position (I think it's called a guard or something?)

He ended up showing us locks instead cos no one wanted to do it. I then got a lot of stick after until I explained I done a different jiu jitsu to what this guy did.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Said so in the comments below.

It just completely lacks positional hierarchy, guard play, regular competitive sparring and effective training methodology.

It's just one has much more merit than the other.

16. Pretty In Pink

It did look terrible TBF.

So-so. It's not so much the technique as the training methodology. Can you do it when they are fighting tooth and nail and they know how to defend it?

The truth is if you can't fight on the ground then you aren't fully prepared. Same with weapons and the same with striking. You have to know everything :)

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If you know its proper term, how about using it rather than insisting on using innuendo? This cuts both ways. [/QUOTE]

18. Bozza Bostik

Of course, your comments are obviously moronic childish Internet nonsense but...

I'd suggest you find a new club. If you can't pull anything from someone showing you stuff from another style, then your instructors IMO aren't fostering a particularly sensible and honest attitude to martial arts. And you might want to find a club were the attendees are slightly more mature and respectful to guests in your gym. But I guess you were all a bit worried about getting your arses handed to you by the BJJ guy. I think that's the truth of it.

19. Bozza Bostik

You're a generous individual, Chadderz.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Takes me back to when i rolled with a few jjj guys back in the day, after rag dolling them for a spell they start to blather about how if they were allowed to hit me, they'd show me how effective the art would be, at which point i oblige, double leg and get all Tito Ortiz with my elbow... ahh, memories.