In a bit of trouble, what to do?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Bon, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Recently at training, a guy who has been takingn one of the classes has broken one of the student's nose using him to demonstrate a throw.

The problem lies in the fact that this guy is completely unqualified, he's a big guy who's most likely juiced up on 'roids so he's extremly strong and pretty rough. As the club President, I'm going to get called up by the Uni to ask me why we aren't getting people to sign waiver forms, etc.

I don't like the guy for a few reasons. He will not spar with anyone who knows what they're doing and he refuses to spar with guys his own size, always says he's going home and then you'll see him on the mat with one of the smallest guys. He thinks he knows a lot when he knows next to nothing, he gets by using strength on the new people. He has taught incorrect technique on numerous occassions, some even on purpose.. he told one guy to do something which allowed him to tap him out. Put simply, the guy is an idiot who's just there to act all tough and macho.

This is not the first time he's hurt someone, he has chipped another guy's technique demonstrating a suplex and dropped him. He just asked the guy if he had a mouth guard and told him to get one when he said no. I don't know what happened this time, but it would not surprise me if it was a suplex or something stupid.

The Uni took statements off the guy who has his nose broken and a witness, but when they went to get a statement off him he was gone and has not been back to the Uni since (normally goes to lift weights).

I would very much like to kick the guy out or ask him to leave, but I'm somewhat biased. I would have stepped up and told him he was not qualified to teach the class, but I don't really have any credentials.. I'm still a white belt in BJJ myself so I would have felt out of place to do so.

So, any advice?

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

your should say something because someone could get seriously hurt if this guy doesn't know what he is doing. Also if he isn't willing to deal with situations he has caused then he shouldn't be in MA anyway.

3. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

You being Club President doesn't give you any authority to do something about it? You don't have any influence?

I would just tell someone of higher auth of what he's like. Something like that.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well, if he's not insured and the guy he injured decides to sue for damages (yes, it can be done for a broken nose) then he'll probably end up losing his house. I imagine that would stop him teaching.

Actually even if he is insured that sounds like proof of negligence and invalid teaching, meaning that he's liable anyway and his insurance company wouldn't cover it.

5. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Kick him out, it's that simple.
    Remove him on the basis of negligent behaviour and endangering the health and well being of others.

6. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Ving Tsun, issues are generally voted upon when you do things by the book I think? Don't know, I have just been doing what the other guys (instructors) want since I'm a student at the Uni and you're meant to be a student to train with us - most of the guys aren't.

I'm not concerned about the guy who broke the guy's nose welfare, but the club's welfare along with myself - I don't want to get into strife for what he's done.

7. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Hm, I think you should get the guy out of the class. Not as a punishment, but as a 'reassurence' to the uni that this is less likely to happen again.

Also, this could show that you can deal with the situation -and that you can again if a problem of a similar nature occures.

I'd also start thinking about getting a Waiver together for the future.

8. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Yeah, Uni wants to know why we're not making people sign them.

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Because they have no basis in law and are not worth the paper they're written on.

10. Jim

Jim New Member

They do here, Dave. They are given consideration in court in Australia.

11. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

They do here as well, provided that the accident is a common one that occurs from doing said activity. They do not protect you in a court of law from negligence, which is why you may have to kick the guy out or restrict his activities.

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

In the UK you have a duty of care for yourself

but Bon I apreciate your situation is different.

He needs to be told what he is doing wrong and I would check into his credentials and remove him from teaching - he by the sounds of it is a danger and you need to protect yourself, your students and him from himself.

Ask the Uni to cancel the club?