Improving Speed and Reaction Time

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Dragon_Princess, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

Looking for some advice from the more advanced martial artists in this
    group.
    In my jujitsu class, we spend about 80% of our time training in grappling
    techniques, and about 20% on striking. I've somewhat improved my striking
    skills by training on my own with a punching bag in my apartment. My problem
    is that-while my striking technique has improved-my reaction time is still
    terribly slow.
    When I'm sparring, if I can get a hold of my opponent and take him/her to
    the ground, I usually win, or at least give the higher ranks a serious
    challenge. But before that happens, my opponent usually sneaks in several
    punches and kicks that, if they had made contact, would have knocked me out
    cold. My strikes, on the other hand, are sluggish, and my blocks are almost
    always too late.
    So, my question is, what drills can I practice on my own time to improve my
    speed and reaction time?

:( :( :(

2. Jim

Jim New Member

DP, shouldn't this question be for your instructors?

I've had the same questions from my students before and for the same reasons. JJ takes a really long time to get to work for you and the short term gains of it are hard to see at times.

Speak with you in a chat about it sometime? (If the Bl$*y thing works)

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

practice more practice...but rite practice...
    here's drill which i learned from other person in another forum
    something goes like
    stand in Horse riding stance pick up a coin at around ur shoulder height and drop it...from other hand u can try to catch it...make sure ur other hand is in waist...
    when u'll be catchin pretty close then start adding any word ie KIA then shoot and catch...
    in advance method the coin is held by other practioner...
    My Drill->
    ask anyone to hold a sheet of newpaper in both hands from corner and u punch the paper in middle in normal circumstance even a good boxer won't be able to tear away from middle but after practicing for say 1 months u'll see improvement in ur speed...(this drill can be done in front of candle, try to extinguish candle from 3 feet distance then later on increase the distance)
    PS beware with the hyperextension of ur limb...
    and yea visualise that u r improving speed... make u fool mind first then mind will adust accordingly. :p
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Cain

Cain New Member

First allow me to introduce myself I am Cain from India [u can read more 'bout me in the profiles]

As for ur drills in awareness, I would suggest several exercises -

1. As Tkdwarrior said you can try the candle exercise however you can also try this one for punching speed - Position yourself in a fighting stance in front of a paper or a carpet or a speed ball if you have got one. Drill yourself by punching against the target with ur front hand at almost the same time your front hand is snapped back your 2nd hand should be on it's way...try to hit the curtain twice on it's way backbut be careful that your hands don't collide with each other. The same applies for backfists, try to throw two or more backfists before the speed ball or curtain comes towards you. A few weeks in this kind of training and you should have increased your acceleration by a fair amount.

2. As for awareness drills you can do it almost the whole day anytime, anywhere [do I sound like an ad?]
    anyway you can centre your glance at a stationary object but u still try to watch the movement around it try to make your feild of vision as bigger as possible. Another one you can try is have about three stand in front of you standing still. your gaze will be centred on the one in the middle but actually you are paying attention to all three then one of the three will make a small movement, the moment you notice it you should call his/her name.

Final words have patience and confidence in your own ability and you will be one of the fastest. Invent new drills as time goes by and you will get it.
    Hope I helped,
    Cain

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Do what I do, restricitive sparring. Practice only your boxing skills. Either that or take up boxing.

Col

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

FF's right - isolation sparring is the way to go...

Isolate
    Integrate
    Evaluate
    Modify
    ----Repeat

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Praise from the master :) :) :)

Blushing

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

need a moment alone freeform??
    -TkdWarrior-

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Get a wet towel, or punch some small holes in a plastic bottle and fill it with water. Hang the towel or the bottle and stand there. Try and hit the drips with a punch, you should catch them on the front of your fist, not the back of your hand.

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Any of this helping DP? You haven't said anything in this section for a while.

11. khafra

khafra New Member

Enlarging neural pathways is slow going. No matter how good the posted training methods are, probably won't see too much improvement beyond an initial adaptation to the exercise form for a while.

12. Dragon_Princess

Yes, it has helped. Reason being for the silence is because I have trouble getting back to threads. Is there some kind of easy way to get back to a thread knowing that is has been replied to? :confused::confused::confused:

13. waya

waya Valued Member

If you click the "Post Reply" button, or "Subscribe to this Thread" link below the reply box, you'll get an email when the thread is updated. I also bookmark threads and then just click "View first unread post" when I check them.

Rob

14. Dragon_Princess

hhhhhmmmmm...I subscribed because I didnt know when anyone was posting and now that I've subscribed there's silence here. Well, I would just like to say I am sorry for not coming back to this thread when I should have. :( Anybody forgiving me?:(

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

well if drills r workin the it's good...if u found out any idea on improving share it here...
    -TkdWarrior-