Impressed with ur knowledge about Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Intan86, Feb 8, 2004.

1. krys

krys Valued Member

2. bernie

bernie New Member

Intan

Aloha !
    You got my update I assume and let me know as I get into Kuching on Thursday , March 20 in the early afternoon and can meet your uncle and you that day.

Bernie

3. diligentmantis

diligentmantis Valued Member

Hi Intan , I'm very interested in silat , Where in kuching is it taught? me and my wife will be in kuching last week of may. What styles are taught in Sarawak?.

Regards Sean

4. milamber

milamber New Member

Hi Intan86. I mean no disrespect to you and I may soon be corrected by our community. Tenaga dalaman is not a spiritual practise. It involves an understanding of the elemental forms in silat - such as fire, air, water, earth and metal. Rexa Diri - a 40 days seclusion - is the spiritual side to silek tuo, which I am sure when you ask your uncle will tell you that is the case. I am not privy to tell you more but it is common knowledge in our sasarang. as for being a girl I hope that your uncle teaches you the traditional family style from now on - ask him about Sat Guru Ma Prem who also escaped from Jawa and is of royal lineage.

Best wishes and good luck with your training,
    Milamber

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, "tenaga dalam" literally means "internal energy" or "internal dragon" (I've heard both translations but if you look up the word "tenaga" in a Bahasa dictionary it says things about power and energy. But "naga" is dragon so I can see why that translation is sometimes used, too.

Anyway, as I understand it, "tenaga dalam" is the Indonesian term for what the Chinese refer to as "chi" and the Koreans/Japanese/Okinawans refer to as "ki".

I wouldn't say that it's inherently spiritual but I know that some systems take a very spiritual approach to develop it.

Mike

6. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hi Mike,

There are different types of practice, which are sometimes labelled under the 'Tenega Dalam' banner.

What Milamber is reffering to, isn't the internal practice in the sense of breathing, chanelling energy, etc... which would be the direct parallel to the Chinese definition of Chi that you mention.

He is referring to a spiritual practice, which is independant of breathing, or physical development, and relies on the 'unseen', and learning to place your trust on the Creator. I realise this sounds crazy and cuckoo, but it is something that has to be experienced for it make sense. If you believe in God, which I most certainly do, then you have the promise of his protection, which is the aspect that Milamber refers to.

People need to be very careful with this type of pratice, as many teachers sadly meddle with things they don't understand, and lead their students into something they shouldn't.

But to re-iterate, you are correct about the internal energy etc, but thinkthat what Milamber is referring to is something else, which can also be labelled 'Tenaga Dalam' but is slightly differet.

Cheers,
    Wali

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  7. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The Malay/Indonesian/Philippine archipelago is huge and broken up. There are hundreds of ethnic groups, languages and dialects. There's a lot of nuance in the languages about exactly what different words mean, and context is important. It's a little odd for a foreigner to claim to know what the meaning of something like "tenaga dalem" is under the circumstances.

There are skilled practitioners who come out of different traditions where it can mean anything from advanced body mechanics to animist magic to reciting verses from the Quran to pray for Divine protection.

8. milamber

milamber New Member

Hi Mike,

to quote you,

I wouldn't say that it's inherently spiritual but I know that some systems take a very spiritual approach to develop it.

I am sure that you are right. I was just being pedantic and making a clear distinction between the spiritual practise within Silek Tuo and the breathing and elemental forms that are also part of the Sastira's armoury.

9. sabr silat

sabr silat New Member

H milamber,

What is Sastira ? Where they warriors ? If so please can you tell me more

10. milamber

milamber New Member

A Sastria is a warrior. What would you like to know more about?

11. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Ilmu

Intan86,

Tenaga Dalam is the internal energy aspect of Silat and it can be used as generic term for many things. I would bet that you have already been taught many aspects of Tenaga Dalam such as breath control, circulating energy, striking with internal power and etc..

However the spiritual side of Silat is Ilmu which is a higher level than Tenaga Dalam. Ilmu can be both good & bad just depending on how one is going about achieving it. Ilmu is done with the mind and not with physical technique or movements.

Hope this helps,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

12. sabr silat

sabr silat New Member

A Sastria is a warrior. What would you like to know more about?

Basiclly all that there is toknow. ,if you don't mind. Its damn fine itnereting.

Many thanks for sharing the know....

13. salin 12

salin 12 New Member

hi intan86, i want to know more about spring 12.where it came from?who is started this silat?

14. zulhilmi ibrahi

zulhilmi ibrahi New Member

15. salin 12

salin 12 New Member

16. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

I'm glad you think of people like me as practitioners,Pesilat.If there are a lot of people like me,you would probably guess we don't have much choice in how we practice.I trained for about a year at Sityodtong Academy,where Kru Mark Delagrotte and his teacher had a course in Silat going,but it was phased out since MMA and Muay Thai outweighed Silat in Popularity.The pace literally became packed like a sardine can with students after Mark appeared as a trainer on "Ultimate Fighter".His guru doesn't teach there anymore,and I have had to go solo in training.A few schools are open around my hometown,but work scheduling and lack of finances have kept me swinging the Escrima stick on my own.