Impractical Practical Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by XeQshinor, Jul 2, 2005.

1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Err, no. In both my TKD and JKD class, we fight full contact. Rarely are people carted off in ambluences.

The only reason people get injured in full contact, is when "untrained" fighters get excited and dont know how to control themselves.

2. NaughtyKnight

Not unless you want a nasty broken jaw.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

"full contact" implies you are trying to knock each other out and going hell for leather, like a real fight. if we trained like that and sparred like we were in the ring every night we would be vegetables after a couple of years.

"hard contact" implies theres meaning in your punches but you arent trying to take the other guys head off and this is what most fighters will train at

4. NaughtyKnight

Same thing in my book. We still fight "full contact" but we dont beat the crap out of eachother. We dont pull punches, which in my book is full contact.

Ring fighting means that you dont give your opponent any le way. If he shows a weakness, you pound him into the ground. You wouldnt press an advantage like that in sparing, though you still dont stop every time you hit them.

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Don't see how it can be the same thing Knightcommander?

To me going full contact means a lot of damage will be done. And as IH says you'd be in bits in no time? Other way is heavy sparring which is a fair bit different in my book and its what I do more of the time.

6. NaughtyKnight

Guess we dont think Full contact as the same thing.

I dont see any distinction between how I fight in competions and how i fight in class. Its the same power, though if I get a good combo in, im not going to continue to batter them into the ground.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah using full contact strikes and not going for the kill is also pretty out of it... we usually spar for half an hour-45 minutes at the end of a lesson, no way could we spar that long taking full power leg kicks.

8. NaughtyKnight

We dont spar that long.

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Going full contact I've broke my nose twice, a finger, various cuts, bust lips and sore body parts. So I prefer to stick with heavy sparring the majority of the time, and avoid elbows and headbutts to the head :D

10. NaughtyKnight

Neither of my styles allow elbows or headbuts in sparing. That really would lead to alot of injuries.

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I do not like sub-heavy contact sparring. It takes the edge of and makes me slower. Why should I move when I'm not going to get hurt if I don't?

Full contact means:

You've got their number,
    You came to loot and plunder
    With platinum, steel, hardware and lumber

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

One more rap, and I'm going to lock both you and tim westwood in a room and fire automatic weapons through the door until I am satisfied that you are both vapourised.

13. Scarlet Mist

Who the hell is tim westwood?

And yo, as a mod aren't you supposed to keep the peace?
    Scarlet keeps the piece that will delete yo peeps
    And leave you in pieces, leave cats squirming like maggots
    I spray stuff and then bounce, call me ricochet rabbit
    I'm all over this forum, spittin' the ill stuff that make cats be like "ooohhh"
    I got 'em hooked like dope, and I come back like "oohhh"
    Like in that front choke, I got them crooked like "oohhh"
    I'll blow thru you like a dowel, lyrically disembowel
    And on top of that - I got more (w)raps than a wet towel :D

Now back to the full contact stuff :D

14. Scarlet Mist

Well, what if you wore elbow pads and headgear. I find that anyone can drill elbows on a pad, but it's a totally different matter to hit someone with them, especially since it's a short range technique. Same with knees.

15. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Err, going back a bit (Sorry) but someone said earlielr that MMA isn't the only MA that does full range sparring (Standup, clinch, groundwork) but I have to say that going through the local clubs near me I find:

Wing Chun * 3, 1 club does no sparring, one is in the same place as a Vale Tudo club so presumably does and the other I'm unsure about
    Aikido * 2 No sparring
    WTF TKD * 4 No sparring other than under sport WTF rules or light contact sport rules
    ITF TKD * 2 No sparing outside ITF rules (Light contact, no leg kicks)
    Preying Mantis Kung Fu * 1 no sparring
    Judo * 2 Judo rules only and Judo and occasionally other rule grappling as I undertsnad it
    Kali * 2 One no sparring and other under same instructor that teaches vale tudo so presumably sparring
    Ju jitsu * 2 Judo rules randori or no randori and lots of pressure points
    Muay Thai * 3 Loads of Thai sparring
    Vale Tudo/MMA gyms * 3 All doing MMA sparring

My point is that I dont know of any local place that does standup, clinch and groundwork except for the MMA gyms so it isn't that unreasonabvle to call it MMA rather than sparring.

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Maybe that's great for your part of North England, doesn't apply everywhere else. Or do the rest of us just sit in never-never land because MMA figured out something other styles learned years ago?

17. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Well my point is that I hear loads of people saying there school covers allo the ranges of combat but I never see one that isn't MMA. It just seems odd. Like all the TKD schools that I've seen (5 now under three different organisations) all practice WTF sparring only but I hear loads of people say they train in a different sort of sparring on MAP. It seems odd to me, I mean is the North of England just devoid of forawrd thinking TMA places? Is it just me? Do they see me walk into a dojo and go "Look out, it's Slindsay, everyopne stop sparring and do some patterns?" Am I just special? Maybe no one wants me to join there club... :cry:

18. NaughtyKnight

Nice 1

19. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Unreasonable? No. Provinical? Yes.

If you make it across the way to Rochester NY I'll be happy to take you to a couple TMA (and MMA) programs that cover all the ranges in sparring.

- Matt

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Me, a mod? You ARE behind the times :D
    Be very grateful that you have never heard of Tim Westwood.