IMA anti grapple and anti lock

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by middleway, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Punch-Kik-Choke

Punch-Kik-Choke Banned Banned

anyone calling themselves a master is a complete dolt in my book.

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

it is a title that people earn, personally i would never call myself master but i don't really care if other people use it. seems you have a random chip on your shoulder.

3. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Incase you didn't notice from the rest of my post, that comment was a joke.

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

The head banging icon you used like this :bang: did not indicate it as a joke if you used this :D it might of.

Hard to read intent in words.

Also I am with Punch-Kick-Choke on the title is out dated and has delusions of grandure associated with it.

5. wild_pitch

i dunno this just strikes me as a similar argument to the whole, *wife* or *partner* thing.

the word you use is really irrelevant and does not change what the person you are referring to is. master, instructor, teacher, bob, whatever. all the same guy. you feel it is antiquated, great don't use it in your school. other people disagree and think the term is apt then that is their decision as well.

it is unneccesay to refer to someone who disagrees with you as a dolt.

6. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

I always see Chi dude ...
    eversince this cat gave me a sweet tart at a music concert ... I have been been able to see chi and other strange manifestations of will and I tell you .. those guys had some weak chi ... very little glow .

7. Sonshu

The wife or partner thing is easy - if you married its your wife and if not partner is one of the titles you can use.

The term master means many thing to many people - there are many instructors and teachers about but masters there are less and it should indicate that you are truly masterful in what you do.

Trouble is its a big thing to say and a really hard thing to quantify.

Also never called anyone a dolt - I agree with Punch-Kick-Joke in what he said and it just makes my cringe when the master name is used reminds me of Starwars.

8. Sonshu

Oh dear

9. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAh
    PLEASE
    STOP
    YOUR MAKING ME LAUGH TOO HARD.

10. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Yes but the strikers who are actually successful in MMA don't rely simply on hitting their opponent before they get too close, they actually learn to grapple so they can force the fight to return to the striking range.

As for Tank, he's a powerful puncher but he's lost more than he's won.

11. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Also, I didn't bother with the systema vids, but all the shoots iv seen in the vids were absolutely awful.
    Those were sloppy FOOTBALL TACKLES.
    Those were NOT double legs.

12. wild_pitch

p.k.c. said: anyone calling themselves a master is a complete dolt in my book.

i think that is out of line.. i am willing to agree that not everyone who has the title deserves it but i think he is taking it to far.

13. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

anyone and everyone who makes broad generalizations is a dolt .....

14. Punch-Kik-Choke

what do you mean it's "earned"

Who has the power to actually do this?

Not a soul in my mind.

it's not like calling a man "doctor" or "professor" where we can actually quantify the process, now is it?

15. Punch-Kik-Choke

do you have any idea what kind of delusional nutcake it would take to call *himself* master?!?!?!

Maybe you're not getting this, I was not talking about *other* people using the title to describe somebody *else* That's simple normal fanboyism. It's hero worship. Nothing wrong with it, besides the fact that it's well....lame.

Calling YOURSELF "master" or "god's gift to women" or "jedi" or whatever, is friggin stupid and only a dolt would do it, yes.

It's sad certian people cant see this.

16. Punch-Kik-Choke

Down with PC BS.

Generalizations *work*

and yeah I see the irony.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  17. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

so, just out of curiousity, you call the head of a style what? just "the guy who's the head of the style"?

18. Punch-Kik-Choke

"founder"

"teacher"

"Bob"

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Hmmm... I'll try calling Sifu "Bob" on Monday and see what he thinks :p

20. wild_pitch

i think it is sad that you are so knee jerk worked up about it.

like i said random chip on your shoulder. it is a title.. just like any other title. i mean you call someone who is runs a business CEO, or president. you call someone who has reached a certain level in an art that recognizes the term a master, sifu what is the difference? why is doctor okay but master is not in your books?