IMA anti grapple and anti lock

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by middleway, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

A punch in the face rarely overcomes a grapplers intentions; what makes you think a slap to the ribs will if you don't practise/test it against a resisting opponent...

2. middleway

middleway Valued Member

a punch in the face knocks out grapplers on a regular basis but... tank abbot etc.

by intention i do not mean the intention to grapple, it is not possible to overcome this in a grappler ... thats their game. But the intention to perform a certain entry technique or throw. This is not a technique to 'stop' the attack but to make him 'hessitate' or create a gap .. even momentarily so that you can take advantage of that gap.

I would take a punch to the face over a palm to the spine any day .... a punch to the face hurts but you can keep going ... hence why boxing matches generally end with both opponents bruised and stunned but standing. A palm to the spine and central nervous system makes you go down straight away ... if the striker knows what he's doing. :D

Kind Regards
    Chris

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

The first vid for me was the same sort of Systema stuff I did and have seen plenty of times. Its not for me - again the big leap of faith, I would rather defend an attack than try to absorb it. Too much of a leap for me.

The 2nd vid - the guy in combats has an idea what he is doing but the big guy just shoots and then stops in every one when he attacks so not very good at all.

The black guy needs to learn about defending and if your a busy grappler then you get hit less.

Neither were very imprssive

4. Sonshu

I would rather someone try to hit my spine than my face as the spine is on my back and my pretty face is facing them. I tend to think there are a lot of iff's and but's but when all said and done grapplers do tend to come off better than a striker as most MMA grapplers train to defend strikes and grapplers.

Strikers tend to just defend strikes.

5. middleway

middleway Valued Member

only in single opponent encounters. but i know what you mean , alot of people have a phsychological thing about being hit in the face.

kindof agree, there are arts that train and seemlessly mix both.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have trained systema a little also and have very similar feelings.

I do rate Vlad highly though and think he has very deep skill.

#thanks for the comments
    Chris

6. pete_e

pete_e New Member

I wasn't jumping on you as much as asking what the problem was with the teacher laughing whilst doing demo. I guess combined with the rest of my post - which wasn't aimed at you in particular - it may have come across that way.

I questioned your comments about him laughing because I, personally, couldn't see the issue with that. I understood where some of the other criticism comes from - even if I don't agree with some of it. That said - you do have a point about the impression that gives, depending upon the intended audience. And I think the question of the intended audience is at the heart of the whol saga here. I don't think Middleway's clip was filmed with the intention of converting the MAP masses (or anyone else) to the virtues of his teachers art. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to be a bit of amateur footage of his teacher demonstrating some techniques for the benefit of him and some other students within the system.

That Middleway has been prepared to share these clips with us is pretty generous, and the fact that he's even prepared to answer his critics with a polite offer to try and show them how the technique works is, IME worthy of some respect. He's not made outlandish claims (although he may have worded the initial post badly), nor has he been disrespectful or outright aggressive to those who have criticised the clip - and I think some people could have returned the courtesy (thats not aimed at you BTW BKG :D ).

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I will admit I was a tad nitpicky, but it's a professional hazard, lol. A good part of my job is my ability to present, so I have certain expectations. Sometimes it flows over into my personal life. I'm working on it, lol.

But I'd still like to see more videos from his school.

8. pete_e

pete_e New Member

Seconded!

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And now all is good in the world :p

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

A punch in the face knocks most people out :D Be it grapplers or strikers! :)

11. middleway

middleway Valued Member

ha ha ha ... good point :D

12. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Viewing oneself as 'a grappler' or 'a striker' would seem somewhat limited imo, no? :rolleyes:
    I'd rather be a good all-rounder and use whatever technique was required in the moment than identify so strongly with a particular style or method, it makes it much harder for an opponent to 'read' you that way.... enables you to open up your mind and embrace the moment that is... rather than the one you want it to be or think it should be...
    Just a pov to stir the simmering pot.... lol :D
    :Angel:
    PS I just thought... If you meant a 'grappler' or a 'striker' in terms of what someone is doing 'in the moment', rather than an identifying label, then please ignore this posting!!! Lol :D

13. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

what about viewing your self as a slapper ? in context of this thread obviously

14. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Most sensible martial artists cross train these days, so my interpretation and understanding is that which you have pointed out above :)

You'll normally find that most grapplers do have some striking experience under their belt.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  15. polecat63

polecat63 Valued Member

Me too!!

Having seen a dozen or so clips by Alex and/or Chris I'd have to say I wouldn't want to **** either one of them off. Keep sharing Chris!

16. BackFistMonkey

BackFistMonkey Valued Member

the people in the vids had weak chi

17. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You can see chi from watching a movie? :p

18. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Taiji IS Grappling

As far as grappling vs. striking is concerned I'd actually classify Taiji as more of a grappling art if I had to put a label on it. Sure, there is striking, and you might think it is mostly about striking just to watch the form, but 90% of the applications are really more like grappling--be it leading, grabbing, throwing, armbars, joint locks, etc. In fact, if you look at the names of the moves in Chen style, they pretty much tell you it's a strike with the suffix -chui in the name (yan-shou chui, etc.)--and these account for probably 2% of the total number of moves in the Chen forms (somewhat more in Paochui than Yilu)--pretty much every other move (besides the occasional kick) has one ore more grappling applications--albeit not necessarily grappling in the way a wrestler thinks of it.

19. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

That's because he wasn't an IMA master :bang:

But seriously, all I can say after watching that video is ROFL

First of all, it doesn't appear that the attacker is actually trying to take the other guy down. He just sort of stands there, waiting to get slapped. It's like he didn't even have a plan to attack. No need to sprawl or anything. Second of all, no attempt was made to controll the arm and stop the slapping. And third of all, he literally has a seizure every time he's slapped.

I think if I were to actually try that, I'd be on my back in someone's mount before I knew what hit me and before he realized I was slapping him.

20. Sonshu

Yuo should be a student and get stuff to work and not need some duff old title Master - the techniques you learn should work regardless of some title