I'm young but have shoulder and knee pain!

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ronki23, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Hey

doing Starting Strength (SS) program and the one day a week I do the direct arm exercises at the end of the workout, I seem to get a pain in my left shoulder-that same side has a protruding scapula.

The right side is fine; the thing is I do jiu jitsu and when i'm at Uni (not doing any weight training) I do judo/wrestling- is continuosly falling and breakfalling affecting the scapula? I only notice it if my front is leaning forward/I bend over. The pain only comes from the extensions.

As for my knee, four years ago I was learning to do a hook/crescent kick (doing remember) and the stupid woman who was teaching me told me to make my non kicking foot turn away-the result was that my one leg (I think the kicking leg) has pain near the knee/behind it-not actual knee pain. The thing is this pain hasn't gone away and only flares up when I try this particular stretch (I can do those kicks no problem):

[​IMG]

2. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

How old are you?

Re the shoulder a) are you a lefty b)do you use a computer mouse a lot

I only say this because, I my wife and another friend all have experianced problems in the arm/shoulder from useing a mouse with a poor posture

As for breakfalls causing this kind of problem, I would say that if brakfalls are causing you harm you are not doing them properly

3. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

I am 22 dude-had this scapula since I was 20 but regarding breakfalls I asked because I don't want to get it 'fixed' if judo/wrestling/jiu jitsu practice will stop it from getting back into place/be a hinderance to my healing.

Do you think the winged scapula and shoulder pain are related? Yes I am left handed but I us a laptop more than desktop and I use my right hand for mouse (I use left hand for writing). I must confess that I do hunch forward alot and don't notice it-mainly if i'm typing on my bed but tbh I actually lie down on the sofa more/keep my feet up when using laptop-is that related to it (the sofa has back support)

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Posture.html#anchor3102554 has a couple exercises and stretches for winged scapulae.

if you can do push-ups and pull-ups without pain, you can also do those (pushups will strengthen your serratus anterior, pull-ups will strengthen most of your back. also, do this for your rhomboids and serratus, if you can do it without pain: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY9Vuo27pCs"]Scapula Pushups - YouTube[/ame]

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

no idea about the knee, though. if you could pinpoint the exact place where the pain is, we might be able to help you better, but as it is, you'd be better off seeing a doctor about it (sports physio, preferably)

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

palsy

Funny thing about a winged scapula. Sometimes it's because of weakness, sometimes tightness (muscle imbalance) and sometimes it's neurological. One of the guys I play rugby with came into my office one day and said look I have a protruding shoulder blade.

On examination when I had him lock his elbow and try to resist my pushing his arm back towards him the shoulder blade just gave way and he could not hold me. This type of condition occurs because of a paralysis of the long thoracic nerve, typically caused by a virus, and takes 6-12 months for the nerve to regress and then grow back to where it originally went. It does not always recover completely which might account for it being there for so long.

Do you have a long thoracic nerve palsy? Probably not, but it is a possibility and you might want to have your shoulder looked at just to rule this out. Just an aside, this condition is usually painless but the associated imbalance may cause you to have issues with your rotator cuff.

Oh and my mate kept on playing rugby and eventually everything went back to normal. Sometimes there isn't a definite cause for these things (although some suspect a viral mediated neuritis as I mentioned).

Just sayin...

LFD

http://www.med.nyu.edu/neurosurgery/pns/conditions/injuries/scapular.html

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  7. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

The thing is it only hurts when I do overhead tricep extensions- typical rotator rippers like overhead presses and bench presses don't hurt it. Is there any point in getting it fixed because I do the martial arts-wouldn't all the falling/breakfalling hamper recovery? I don't really want to bother fixing it if training affects injury and if it doesn't really affect me

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You don't know what is causing the problem. Any info here is ok but really you need to find out what is going wrong. The shoulder blade may have nothing to do with it. I am sure that you can get an assessment/diagnosis without too much difficulty (if you are not sure tell us where you live and I might be able to direct you).

Better that you don't depend on the net for medical advice. Some of it is dog stuff and really , for your own well being, you want to get it sorted out.

Just sayin'...

LFD

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

See a physio I don't know how willing doctors are to refer people to them. But paying a bit will be worth it later on.

Any these things seem to be help with scapular pain:
    Try dumbell rows.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4781263

Scapular pushups already mentioned.

Before the rows do some T-spine mobility
    http://www.beyondstrengthperformance.com/benching-and-upper-back-health

and try some breathing corectly
    http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/what-balls-in-your-pants-can-tell-you-about-breathing-patterns/

As for knee pain, I don't know.

10. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Don't mean to bump this

But i've noticed the pain occurs when my shoulders go at/ slightly past 180 degrees-i'm doing Starting Strength but I wanted to try a medicine ball slam out (not a set,just a couple of reps to see why they're used/muscles recruited). Even though the ball was only 5kg, the pain occured when the arms went past 180 degrees.
    As for the tricep extensions, the pain only occurs when the reps go on/around rep 4-6. It doesn't seem like muscular soreness-I think something's wrong with a 'cuff but dumbbell or barbell bench/shoulder presses don't hurt it

11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Im sure someone here knows more than me about this but it sounds like you lack the t spine mobility and latt flexibility to do the exercises you describe.