I'm so sweet!!!!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Telsun, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

We are what we eat. So I must be the sweetest guy around:D

I know what I should be eating but I don't. I always train hard but when it comes to diet I am lazy:( Any tips on sorting my diet? Especially my sweet tooth. Any advice on snacking without going for the Mars would be very much appreciated.

The middle age spread is coming:eek: And I'm not even middle aged yet:eek: :eek:

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Try some fruit instead of the chocs. Its not as nice, but thinking of the good it does you makes the fact that it's not chocolate easier :)

3. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

what k girl said :D

4. khafra

khafra New Member

Nooo! Fruit is semi-evil! It has a lower glycemic index than refined sugars, but it _is_ just as sugary--and fructose isn't absorbed by your muscles, only your liver, from whence it's synthesized into triglycerides, which are released into your bloodstream and absorbed by adipocytes.
    Er, I mean, it turns into fat.

Dextrose and maltodextrin, taken right after a workout, will be absorbed into your muscles instead. If you like the sweets, try the detour bar or U-turn bar, they're pretty healthy.

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Don't forget to clean your teeth a lot! :p

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I can understand your sweet tooth dilema ... and truly sympathize as I try not to go too crazy when the urge strikes on a monthly basis.

My weakness is chocolate. So my rule which is "everything in moderation" applys here. I can have a few M&M's not the whole pound!!

How about a chocolate protein bar??

A little willpower helps too!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2003
  7. tave

tave New Member

try to make a food journal. write down EVERYTHING you eat,the time,and the place. this can help you understand your poor eating habits.
    you don't have to complety stop eating sweets just try to keep it low.

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Eating smaller meals more often can help. Your stomach gets used to taking in less food.

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Put a sticker 'Don't touch' on every chocalate bar....better yet don't let the chocalate in your house :D

|Cain|

10. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

I had the same problem, and i have seriously cut down the amount of sweets i eat by will power alone, this came to me after my first competition and i weighed so much i was heavy weight and a lot shorter than most of the other people in my group.

My major problem now is actually fizzy juice, cola and irn bru (scotland only). I try to give it up, but its too adictive, i can usually miss it out at home becuase there are suger free drinks available, but they are so expensive to buy in shops, and when your at the cinema or summit they arnt available, so i usually end up drinking more cola. Im sure this is causeing a lot of my weight problem, and its not doing my teeth any favours either. Any tips on getting shot of fizzy sugery drinks for good would be well accepted.

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Then I must be the largest Turkey in town ;) Either that or an oddly shaped grain of rice :D

12. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Alot of usable advice there thanks. I have done it before, just can't seem to get myself in the right frame of mind/ I am lacking willpower.
    I blame the kids :) They have chocolate for school and whilst they're there the sweets are here tempting me, calling me.
    I think that this is what helped me last time. I shall start a log up again.

13. Slownsteady

Slownsteady New Member

As much as i love chocolate etc, I fully agree with the diary- it makes you very concious of it. Also add lots of water to the diet if not already there- it fills you up and helps you resist the snacking temptation.....

cheers

M

14. khafra

khafra New Member

Become aware of artificial sweeteners. There's health problems marginally or anecdotally associated with aspartame and saccharin in large quantities, but there's also new varieties like acesulfame, which just seem to work great--you can order custom protein mixes from proteinfactory.com (more variety) and proteincustomizer.com (cheaper) flavored with them, just as a very healthy way of trying them out, and you can find sweets prepared with them in health food stores.

Another more radical idea to think about is a cyclical ketogenic diet. You stay under 30 grams of carbohydrates per day during the week, but on weekends you go on a more or less controlled carb-fat-protein binge. www.c-k-d.com is a good resource, www.anabolicminds.com is another (search for posts by bobo). Not only do you get that chance at sweets once a week, it's great for losing fat while retaining or even gaining muscle if you eat clean enough.