I'm leaving a McDojang to go to legitimate school

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by blackbelt92, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

BECAUSE THE TEST, ER BELT, IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN INDIVIDUAL PERFECTION

2. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

In a very practical sense you can't get certain more advanced moves right if you don't have basic fundamentals down. In our system moving rapidly just makes you a sloppy mess generally. Whereas building solid and reliable fundamentals before you advance makes everything work.

3. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Generally this is true in much of what people do in life. Unfortunately many want to jump ahead rather than solidify fundamentals

4. 47MartialMan

SO, THIS IS IN RELATION TO WHAT I POSTED-

BECAUSE THE TEST, ER BELT, IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN INDIVIDUAL PERFECTION

THIS IS WHAT STUDENTS/PARENTS LOOK FOR

5. Instructor_Jon

I aplogize sir I am not sure I understand your meaning.

6. 47MartialMan

Ok...not that my caps are unstuck...

Not in your school particulary, but students/parents desire the rank/belt/advancement over the advancement or perfection of method-individual perfection

7. Instructor_Jon

I agree with you there Martial Man. I tell students and parents alike that my first and primary concern is for their welfare. If they get attacked I want them to have what they need to survive the attack. I don't stroke ego's and I don't fastrack somebody if they don't have the goods.

But that being said, my primary income is not my school, my bread and butter come from my job.

8. 47MartialMan

Agree, but people seem to not be concerned with the instructor's "primary concern" whereas their "primary concern" is the rank/grade/test

McDojo's "primary concern" is to satisfy the customer, er, "student/parent" so that income can steadily flow

9. Instructor_Jon

True and in the short term this business model will make profit but in the long term, I think a great many students will move on seeking a school with higher standards such as our OP here.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It's the difference between wanting to GET a black belt/ sash (or your next belt/ sash level).

v.s. wanting to BE a black belt/ Sash. (or your next belt/ sash level).

11. Instructor_Jon

Exactly! I mean heck they are already investing the time and money, might as well get the skills too.

12. 47MartialMan

But you don't understand.

Society is in a "instant-fast pace mode"

People no longer desire to spend the time

13. 1 TKD

1 TKD New Member

First, I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I'm happy to hear that you've seen that school for what it really is.

As someone who consults school owners on successfully running the business of a martial arts school I see this a lot. There seem to be few schools out there who have figured out how to run a professional and profitable school without sacrificing the integrity of their art.

As for the price, if it is a quality program that produces great students (not just great martial artists, but great people as well) and you see it as a fit for you the price is definitely reasonable.

It's sad to me that, because of a single minded owner, you had to break the relationships and bonds you have created. But for you and your training it is for the best.

Best of luck in the future!

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

The cynic in me is saying this is a sneaky attempt at generating business.