I'm Jewish. I just found a bunch of Nazi stuff in my late father in law's things. Now what?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mitlov, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Goosnargh for the recycling bin tho.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A lot of recycling is sorted by hand, so that's not a good idea.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I stick with my suggestion of a roll or two of duct tape wrapped around the swords and medals before tossing. Cut in pieces to make unraveling it near impossible. Wrap pieces in different ways.

Trash bin
    though, not recycling bin. People have to see what it is to recycle it and it could potentially fall into the hands of some modern day Nazi or sympathetic racist.

Make it part of a trip to the dump to get it directly in a landfill if really worried someone will go through your trash and try to unroll all that tape. But I don't think that would be necessary.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Burn the clothing.

Take the metal to a blacksmith (they still exist) and have them melt or heat/fashion it into a Star of David art piece or some other Jewish symbol of notoriety. Can't think of a better way to repurpose items like this.

I took a blacksmith course to make a knife not too long ago. The blacksmith holding the class does a lot of different artwork and gets commissioned to do things for the city, I could pm you her facebook page to get in touch.

Stuff like this is pretty common, as aaradia pointed out. I remember being a kid going through my grandfather's things and opened a small decorative container that had a Nazi pin and some other WWII items. He took it off a dead Nazi at a railroad as his unit was marching across Europe. He wasn't secretly a Nazi or anything, it was a war trophy. Lot of it floating around.

David Harrison, Mitch and aaradia like this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I had thought of that, but assumed that finding a blacksmith would be too hard. After you post I googled blacksmith and my area just to see. Major city and we have 2 that came right up! Go figure! That is what I get for assuming.

Yeah, if not too difficult to find or too expensive, a blacksmith is ideal!