I'm getting married on saturday!

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by SpikeD, Aug 4, 2011.

1. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

And last night, as i brushed my teeth, the imminence hit me hard. Sweaty palms, racing heart and all. I am now officially bricking it! :running:

I love my partner with all my heart and want to marry her without a doubt in my mind; she is my best friend. However, the ceremony itself is what terrifies me. I'm socially awkward at best and the whole standing up in front of people and orating is the epitomy of dread. Any tips on how to not lose my cool and being able to speak English?

I'm looking forward, most of all, to seeing my bride walk down the aisle as i have absolutely no clue as to what she will look like (dress and things, not my bride :evil:) I just hope i can enjoy the moment rather than let nerves over whelm me. :cool:

So I just thought i'd share this special day with the fine (and often mental) members on MAP.

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

WOOT! CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!

(Can I be the virtual godfather lol)

3. Seventh

Don't sweat the awkward social interaction. Put it at the back of your mind. Who cares about that. Your there to marry the person who you love dearly. No more, no less :)

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations and I hope the day goes well for you!

I sympathise with you over the standing up and speaking issue - I hate doing that sort of thing as well!

You know we expect you to log on here on Saturday night and let us know how the day went don't you?! ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. Seventh

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life."

~Rita Rudner

(sorry for all the posts. Just excited about this! Woot!)

6. Seventh

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M"]‪Kool & The Gang - Celebration‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

7. SpikeD

That's what i'm going to try my best to achieve. I am determined not to let my stupid dislike of people and social gatherings ruin the memory for me. :cool:

8. SpikeD

Not quite sure i'll be able to reach the keyboard, so i may use that speech converter thingy. *wonders if it knows how to interpret panting*

9. Seventh

You better go out with a bang :3

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Congratulations! I think marriage ceremonies are something you do for your fiancee, not so much for your own enjoyment. Just take plenty of pride in how happy you're making your other half, then enjoy the drinks at the reception :hat:

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Congratulations! If you're not getting married in a Superman costume, you're missing a trick.

Enjoy the day!

Although, on other thoughts - WHERE ARE OUR INVITES?

Oh, wait. They must have gotten lost in the post. Yeah, that's it. The post.

12. SpikeD

*Duff man impression alert* Oooh Yeahhhh

I agree whole heartedley, I'd have gone for a quick ceremnoy with the parents then to the river with a rod, a bottle of Spanish Brandy and a curry on the way home. :hat: Also, I have been recently informed that i have to kiss her as well. I never signed up for that. :evil:

13. Seventh

Damn you Canada post.

14. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

First off, many, many congratulations. Your wedding day will be the most stressful, terrifying but also the most awesome day of your life. I dreaded having to stand up and say my vows in front of family and friends and I nearly choked at the front and had to steel myself Vulcan style to keep from crying. It didn't help that my "mates" were willing me to burst into tears... :woo:

However, looking back it wasn't as nerve wracking as I thought it was going to be. Remember, noone is there to there to make fun of you or judge you (unless my "mates" are going to your wedding), they just want to see you get married.

Before I got married, I was told that at Chinese weddings there are no speeches to be made. Cue my surprise when a microphone was thrust under me at the reception... :woo: Having not prepared anything at all, I felt bum fudge nudging my pants, I hate, Hate, HATE public speaking. Didn't help that it was my best man who told me I didn't have to do a speech and that it was he who gave me the microphone... :mad:

In the end I just winged it. Said what I needed to from the heart and even got sighs of "awwwww" from some of the ladies out there. :cool:

Basically just enjoy your day.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you're going to drink, don't get too drunk beforehand. I remember a wedding where I had to help pick my buddy up from the floor because he tried having a few shots to calm his nerves and ended up getting tanked. Otherwise, who cares if you mess up, it's YOUR wedding. I felt the same way before the day I got married, but on the day of I knew I was making the right decision and felt good with my choice and surprisingly I felt fine the whole day because of getting that mindset.

16. SpikeD

If any of you guys are in Birmingham on saturday evening, you are welcome to come to the fun part. (Except the weird ones) :rolleyes:

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

congrats, man!

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That pretty much rules all of us out! ;) :D

19. Seventh

Ouch to the North Americans :)

Oh well. Considering our mental instability we wouldn't get past airport security.

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I hope you've arranged a suitable dowry :D