Illustrated Hapkido techniques

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JoshL, Jun 22, 2010.

1. JoshL

JoshL Valued Member

I'm looking for a set of illustrated hapkido techniques. Right now I'm new to hapkido and find it hard ot study the wrist grab defenses without someone to practice them with (on).

I was hoping that I could study images of each "step" of the technique in order to form a better mental picture of them instead of having to wait x amount of days before class again.

If there isn't something like this - I will probably ask some of the other students to help me make our own.

Thank you for your time.

2. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hi Josh

Hi Josh,
    Congratulations and welcome to the art of Hapkido! Take a look at Hapkido by Dr. H. Y. Kimm. The best way to pick this book up is through Dr. Kimm. Also you might ask you instructor what reference material he/she might recommend.

3. JoshL

JoshL Valued Member

Thank you very much for the response.

I have Muay Thai with him tonight so I can certainly bring it up then!

4. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

My grappling background is BJJ but youtube can be your friend. To the Hapkidoists here, are there any good youtube vids for Hapkido?

7. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I remember the Kidohae putting up a whole video collection of techiniques. If I can find the vids I'll post a link.

8. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

9. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

The idea has been done a number of times and a number of ways and the conclusion is always the same. There is simply no alternative to taking the time and investing the energy to learn the material at the rate of your own learning curve. If I had to make a list of the most common mistakes that people make in training in the Hapkido arts the idea of pushing an individual's learning curve faster than is productive would be right up towards the top. And next to that would be infrequent training followed by overly-enthusiastic beginnings. Hapkido arts are about pacing yourself. Any time you think there might be some way to make something "easier", "faster", "cheaper" or "more convenient" you can bet you are making a mistake.

My thought is that if you want to have a book of techniques, start by making your own. Each class you attend start making notes of the techniques you did that class. If you want to get fancy, get-together with another student and take some pictures. The result will be the art seen through your own eyes and focusing in the things YOU feel are relevant. Just some thoughts.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i agree with bruce 100%. hapkido, or any martial art for that matter, needs to be studied to learn. you're just not going to get much from a book of pictures. i bought the tedesci book for the same reason you mention, joshl, i felt i needed to be able to see the techniques and visualize how to do things when i wasn't in the dojang, and that i needed some type of list or way to organize this huge thing i was undertaking, learning a martial art. it's a good book, no doubt. but i became a better practitioner by working hard and being persistent. hard work and persistence solve many, many problems.

i also, quite by accident, started doing exactly what bruce mentions. i just started writing down the techniques i learned in every class, with a basic description of the movement--created my own book so to speak. doing this helped immensely.

i do think there are good books, but they teach principles, not techniques. the classics we all know and love:
    the art of war
    the book of five rings
    the code of the samurai
    the art of peace
    budo (some techniques, but really to illuminate principles)
    i have all of these and they're all well worth the money, and cost considerably less taken together than either the tedesci or the tactical hapkido book.

btw...i love how tmartialaa takes every opportunity to shill for his federation...

follow the link to get "only $125" "This is like having the Grandmaster with you as an instructor" and others.

dude, the tedesci book is half the price and at least professionally done. and no, it's not like having a grandmaster with you. it's a book, that's all it is. and you're trying to sell this poor guy on it. i call shenanigans.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  11. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

I agree also.

A single book with pictures is not enough. That’s why there are videos, books to use as a reference to aid in the learning process. A student must put the concepts in thier own words to understand the technique that uses the concept they learn in the class setting.

And obviously, Giovanni never actually read the web page or bother to even look at the book in the first place since he is too narrow minded to focusing only on Tedesci instead of broadening his view in the martial arts.

But he is open to his narrow closed minded opinion.

But the “like having a grandmaster with you” is from a fellow THA member (Tim Feathers) who bought the book to AID in his learning of the Hapkido training system IN his CLASS.

So you can either get a book with pretty pictures or an encyclopedia with illustrations that highlight the step by step instructions of the main concept in Hapkido that correlates to the visual video aids in the Tactical Hapkido training system (it is a training method system NOT a new style of Hapkido READ THE PAGE).

12. Giovanni

tmartialaa: oh i read the page you linked to. i'm wondering whether you read my post at all, because your "reply" doesn't make any sense.

surely, you saw this in my post...

or how about this line...

where on the list of books i recommend do i mention the tedesci book? um...probably nowhere.

i'm still calling shenanigans on you plugging books and dvd's.

13. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

14. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

15. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

CROCKY! Mr. Giovanni, The Shenanigan Hunter. It appears the shenanigans have spread. It is now on Tae Kwon Do Times International online store with an editorial by the TKD Times staff.

http://taekwondotimes.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=284

Get to work Shenanigan Hunter.

16. Giovanni

glad i can provide some levity to your day. i'm sure you're having a fun laugh at my expense. maybe i'll buy the book so that i can see pictures of you getting thrown around. that might make my day.

btw...i'm sure that you're paying map for advertising products that you potentially benefit from financially. you know, cause there's no free advertising on map. or that your boy, the "grandmaster", potentially benefits from? or is that not you getting thrown in the pictures? and are you not part of the grandmaster's "federation"?

$125 though? ugh, that's a lot. is there a free version? something that i can leave by my toilet. cause you know, since my whole point is to not buy books showing technique, then i need to use it for something other than reading.

addendum...oh sorry, i forgot to ask, since it's going to be by my toilet, is there a soft paper version?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  17. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

CROCKY! Mr. Giovanni, The Shenanigan Hunter. It appears we have a big old cranky shenanigan here. We have a Shenanigan in Black Belt Magazine October 2010 Issue. Under the Essential Gear section, which of course is only an invitation only by a executive editor of the magazine.

But being a Hapkido expert you would have known that. Gracie Brothers are right above Tactical Hapkido. Guess they are a Shenanigan also. Better get hunting Shenanigan hunter.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?g...view=global&subj=113800605318716&id=686264198

18. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

Sure we you can have a soft paper version, anything you want, you can keep it next to your laptop computer as you study hapkido Mr. Shenanigan Hunter.

Now get hunting you silly rascal !

19. Giovanni

I HAVE NEVER SAID I'M A HAPKIDO EXPERT!

20. Giovanni

you're the expert plugging the books. and your "federation".