Iliotibial pain

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Smitfire, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So...I think I've developed iliotibial band syndrome. :(
    I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for the last few months so I'm squatting 3 x a week.
    My last squat weight was 72.5kg. While not a massive weight for proper weight lifters it's approximately 72.5kg more than I was squatting 6 months ago. :)

Doing the squats is OK but in between sessions I'm getting pain, numbness and discomfort along the outside of my legs and just above the outer part of the knee. The right leg seems worse than the left
    It's not present all the time but comes on worst when I'm driving. Which is annoying because I can't change my right leg position to alleviate it (like I can sat at work for example).

So...what to do?
    I'm having a recovery week this week. No weights, plenty of rest, some stretching and yoga.
    But I'd like to get back into the weights.

I normally do some joint rotations, body weights squats and then 4-5 warm up sets before my working weight (gradually adding weight as I go) but are there any remedial exercises, stretches and other measures I can adopt that might help?
    Maybe my technique is off?
    Maybe I need to warm up more as my garage is getting very cold lately?
    Maybe I'm just a wimp?

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey PA,

Have a look at these:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHah3xPx6E"]Episode 61: IT Band Hell - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw81R9jIAHs"]It band pathomechanics - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qm3YRcD2U"]Full knee range part one TKE - YouTube[/ame]

If you have a rigid foam roller (something like 'the grid') and a tennis ball, though preferably something a bit more rigid, you should be able to sort out the problem relatively easily and quickly, it will be pretty damn painful at first though, but it’s a good sort of pain :evil:

Also this covers pretty much all of the above too and much more:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759"]The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment for Pain Relief Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief: Amazon.co.uk: Clair Davies, Amber Davies: Books[/ame]

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I've had issues with pain in that area, caused by shortening of my iliotibial bands that was brought on by hip flexor issues. I was seeing a physio for a while, but what was a big help was the foam roller I got from him.

It's difficult to say what has caused your pain, but a foam roller should help, particularly if you have suffered from a tightening or shortening of the band like I did. I would highly recommend getting the opinion of a physio though, I spent too long muddling through the pain trying stretches etc.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

The jury is still out on rolling the IT band, but for me, I alleviates a lot of discomfort for a long time so....

What also makes a huge difference is rolling the glute medius and primaforus (sp?) and getting the hip flexors mobile.

Are you running? Squats rarely set me off but squats plus running can set it off real bad and real quick.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nope...I've let that slide while I'm trying to build some sort of strength base with stronglifts.
    I did try a run the day after deadlifting one time and my lower back muscles cramped up something fierce.
    I've a feeling that squatting 3 times a week and adding 2.5kg each time has maybe been a bit much. I felt like I was handling it well enough but should probably slow down the adding weight or drop a squat session and only do 2 a week maybe.

6. seiken steve

I imagine it is more likely to be a mobility issue upstream, around your hips somewhere, get those hip flexors mobile and the parts of the glute near the outside of the hips rolled as well as the IT band. The more mobile I get the less things like that bother me with regular movements like squats.

You've made outstanding progress thus far, it'd be a shake to slow things down over something perfectly preventable and curable like this.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Doing some stretching out last night and I've realised my hamstring are very inflexible.
    Keeping a straight back I can barely get to 90 degrees when trying to touch my toes.
    I think I've been over compensating by bending my spine and so kidding myself that I can to touch my toes.

8. seiken steve

I noticed that in myself too, also most hamstrings hit my calves more than anything else...

We all have oddities, the trick is identifying and working on them not just assuming cookie cutter stretching routines.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've been foam rolling and stretching every day and the pain and discomfort is much less than it was a couple of days ago.
    I've also got a cold which I think was exaggerating the pain level (being generally achey anyway). I find a cold reminds me of all the old injuries Ive had over the years. :)

I'm not sure whether I should go back to 3x squatting a week next week, but slow down on adding weight each time (maybe add every other session or something?), OR keep adding weight but only squat 2x a week?
    Either way I think I need more recovery or less intensity. At least at this stage.

Cheers for the advice peeps. I love MAP. :)

10. seiken steve

Remind me of the madcow system again? That's the one with a heavy medium and light day right?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Eh? I'm doing stronglifts 5x5.

Session one = squat/bench/row
    Session two = squat/OH press/deadlift

Alternate sessions leaving a day inbetween and do 3 sessions each week.

Adding 2.5kg to every lift each session except deadlift which is adding 5kg. Once you drop reps there's a progression to go through.

Can't remember the full numbers but last squat was 72.5 (which was taxing but still had some capacity left) and deadlifts were 100kg.

12. seiken steve

Appologies, I was having a conversation about madcow as I replied!

If the gain is too quick would it be worth adding 2.5kg per week rather than each session?

So all 3 sessions in a week have the same weight then the next week would be all 3 the same with 2.5kg added to last week? It will allow you to build speed and confidence with each weight before you move on.

That's how I'd play it anyway, will also help with the adaption phase. I never did do strong lifts though so take it with a handful of salt.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah when I started I was doing 2 sessions a week and adding weight much more gradually.
    Then I felt I wasn't getting anywhere (because you start with an empty Oly bar basically), maybe overconfident a bit because it never felt that hard and so went onto stronglifts proper which is 3 times a week.
    Stronglifts, as I understand it, is a routine about adding weight consistently especially in the squat as that is the bedrock exercise done every session.

Thanks for the advice man...appreciate it.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

a good session of quad and glute stretching after your weights might be of help as well, and shouldn't add more than 10 minutes at most to your workouts.

15. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello Smitty

It's been already alluded to is this here thread...So apols for the mini-lecture.

Stop squatting 3 times a week. Clearly it's not doing you that much good at present.

Back off a tad. And exercise some patience. Seriously the Stronglifts thing is meant to be experimented with for frequency as much as it is to be followed to the letter.

Do:

Session A) Squat/ Bench/ Row (ie Monday)

Sessions B) Deadlift/ Standing OH Press (ie Wednesday)

Session A) Squat Bench Row (Friday or Saturday)

And repeat.

Just try that for a month or so. And see how it goes.

And trying to add 2.5 kgs per session is ridiculous. Ticket to snap city for most folks.

And 2.5 kgs per week might be too much for you at present as well.

Depends on how quickly you can

A) Get shot of any metabolites lurking in your system

B) Reset your CNS/ Recoup

C) What else you're doing that's taking your rebuild energy

Play it by feel not system.

Good Luck