IFL Debut on Fox

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by special43543, May 22, 2006.

1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

Anyone watch. I believe they are showing repeats if not. Next sunday I believe that they are showing the second half of the event, with the other two teams fighting or something like that. The teams thing is confusing and what I think is a sad attempt to get teams like American Football, to get fans more involved. That wouldn't be a bad idea except for the fact that MMA is a very individual sport.

The fights themself were boring. I found myself almost wanting to change the channel, and wondering how MMA suddenly got so boring. I don't know what it was...but it just wasn't that entertaining. The fighters weren't that skilled and didn't have that much experience. Post your thoughts on it.

2. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

The 5 fights that happened weren't all that bad too watch. I think the "team" idea thing is flawed from the start as far as MMA is concerned. It's easier to relate and become a fan of particular fighters as opposed to entire teams, that way you're more "into the fight" and want to know what the outcome will be. I enjoyed watching the fights because any MMA on tv is better than none but them trying to keep on promoting their team gimmick got annoying.

3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Just saw the whole thing today. Not bad. I hate how FSN clips some of the fights for this and for Pride. I actually laughed with delight in seeing a match won with a leglock. Outside of that, I'm glad that it gives the public more exposure to MMA. I recognized some of the fighters, and I think this might do well to build up future Pride and UFC vets, and to give them national exposure. Not too keen on the team concept myself, but I'm reserving ultimate judgement for a while.

4. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I've heard this said alot too, but I think the team element can work quite well. I'm personally a fan of different training camps like Militech and Team Quest, and I usually root for guys who come from those camps. I don't think it is a big stretch to make MMA into a team sport.

As for the IFL fights, I thought some of them were pretty good. I thought the Travis Wiuff and Schoenauer (sp?) fight was entertaining. What a finish! The production looked professional, and the fights pretty entertaining. It doesnt hurt that it was free too. I still prefer the cage to the ring, but we can't have it all.