if you had only one tech to teach for self defence, which one would it be?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by WesJones, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Giving unrealistic confidence might do more harm than good. Thinking, running & screaming whilst remaining relatively sober is the order of the day

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Be nice to people.

3. Moi

It's a girl! Not too nice :)

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8"]Brave Sir Robin - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry came straight to mind as soon as I read this ::

Making as much noise as possible and running is a good one, one technique for against a large stronger opponent is a hard one, I agree with palm strikes to disengage again making as much noise as possible to draw attention from passers by. Too much faith is put in the groin kick/knee in most female self defence stuff I have seen, not a guarantee stopper and can have a delayed effect.

5. WesJones

WesJones New Member

Come on, when you start from 0 even learning how to land a decent punch is better than nothing.

6. WesJones

WesJones New Member

Do you really think that learning how to throw an elbow properly would skyrocket her confidence through the roof? On the other hand that could make a difference in a number of situations.

7. WesJones

WesJones New Member

Thanks. Good points here.

There are a number of simple techniques that can be taught quickly and make a difference in a number of situations. Palm strike is one of them.

8. WesJones

WesJones New Member

Who said she is stupid and going for adventures?

9. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

If you choose to punch/elbow/whatever someone instead of running because you think you can do it "properly" it's a problem.
    Also, when you're as small as me even a proper punch isn't going to be too much trouble for a, say, 90kg bloke.

10. WesJones

WesJones New Member

I disagree with you for several reasons:

1) statistics show that certain types of attacks/situations are more common than others. So teaching could focus on the most common scenario which would be better than nothing.
    2) not every aggressor is a trained serial killer. The average slimy drunk guy can easily be dispatch with a simple 1-2
    3) when starting from zero, learning simply how to land a decent punch is better than nothing. In other words, a bit of training is better than no training; a little bit of experience (through pressure testing) is better than none

Wether it is uncle Joe or a would-be-kidnapper, knowing how to land a decent punch could make a difference in a number of situations which is better than none.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think there's more to the premise than meets the eye.
    For one I think most martial arts were never intended for people to master or make use of every technique. I think they are intended as a buffet where you try a few things but ultimately take what you like/find useful. As such reducing techniques down to what you personally like is a useful exercise IMHO. I have levels of techniques with some definite favourites that stand out above the others.

Also the log-jam effect of having too many techniques that, when under pressure, get in the way of decisive action. There too it can pay to reduce techniques down to a few reliable favourites.

When push comes to shove and the cack hits the aircon I think I'd favour some sort of forward moving cover/flinch/spear and then ramming my right hand through their face as many times as I can manage in as short a time as possible.
    It'd probably be a fist rather than a palm for me as that's what I've trained most and I have issues with my right hand flexing back but I'd favour the palm for others (less likely to damage yourself).

Also...what Wes said. :)

12. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

which is covered under the "hit bloody hard" part of the post you quoted.

13. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Awareness!!!.................. Since lack of awareness is a majority of the reason why self-defense situations occur in the first place!!

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'd teach the ability to ignore social rules and conventions, and act in an objective, tactical fashion.

She will be at most risk from people from within her social circle trying to manipulate or abuse her (being nice will make it unlikely you'll get into a fight from an argument, but won't stop predators seeing you as a victim). Whether for sexual, emotional or financial reasons, predatory people will use social convention and emotional leverage to make their victim feel as if they have no choice but to go along with their wishes.

Anyone can bite or hit or scratch, but the most important thing, IMHO, is the confidence to choose the most appropriate action regardless of emotional pressure or social taboos, and the confidence to believe one has the right to remain inviolate in mind and body.

15. WesJones

WesJones New Member

Of course avoidance and running would come first -- what you do if you can't escape and have to fight. That was the point of the question

16. WesJones

WesJones New Member

In case of sexual assault, it has been found that the only self-protective tactics that appear to increase the risk of injury significantly were those that are ambiguous and not forceful, such as stalling, cooperating, pleading and screaming from pain or fear (Kleck and Tark 2005, Ullman & Knight 1992).

17. Moi

Invisibility

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i (don't) see your invisibility and raise you teleportation.

19. Moi

That'd be a very useful move although having both might be even better?

Also....

Just because you're cut!

20. WesJones

WesJones New Member

Been thinking about what you wrote. I could not point to what was bothering me until today.

I think the mistake was to start by teaching different techniques instead of improving your friend's natural reactions. Her reaction was kick to the groin so if I had one technique to teach, I would have added a bit of technique to make the kicks faster and strong and her balance better. Then pressure test until she's able to fire up a strong and precise kick in any situation.