If someone with a knife attempted to mug you what would you do?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Infesticon #1, Jun 24, 2004.

?

Hypothetical knife attacker

1. Disarm him

27 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. surrender wallet/watch/whatever

49 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. try to distract them and run.

43 vote(s)
    31.2%
  4. other, state in thread.

19 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I've thought about this several times, I don't know any defense against a knife that I'd be willing to risk my life for. I'd give the person what they asked for, unless I was drunk in which case I'd probably get stabbed to death.

What do you think you'd do?

2. Bouk Teef

Bouk Teef Valued Member

It's not worth getting cut / stabbed for £20, a few credit cards (which can be cancelled) and a nice watch. Get a good look at them and then phone the police (assuming your phone wasn't stolen!).

3. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

If it was on guy and i'm on my own, they definatly would not get anything from me. Being a poor student i'm not sure i could spare the £20 beer money. Depening on how big they are and whether i think i can take them, i would either run or or attempt to kick their ass.

4. Bouk Teef

Bouk Teef Valued Member

When you put it that way, £20 does get you alot of pasta or Strongbow! Bring on the knife weilding muggers!!!! :)

5. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

if it was just being mugged i'd happily give them my maxed out credit cards and student overdraft which is also maxed oh and the 70p in pennies i keep in my wallet. :D
    but if they seemed like they wanted more like to rape me or just sexual assualt i'd be all kicking and punch and generally ninjutsuing them to get away. :) depends on the person with the knife

6. macoda

macoda New Member

not that I have a big change of getting raped (me=male):D, but kicking and punching does not work much, usualy attackers on the street especially the ones who trying to sexually assault you attack you in a way that you fall down on the floor, before noticing.... to my opinion, best defence is at such a moment using pressurepoints in grappling. Or start kicking before they have a chance to think about pulling there knife out of their pocket :woo:

7. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

hell nooooo!!!!
    i got a **** load of uni debt to pay already, ain't no way i would let them take that 4 bucks away from meh!!! no way!!!!! :D
    *flexes biceps*

8. Vanir

Vanir lost my sidhe

Here's the likelihoods of the situation to my mind:
    1. If you acquiesce, where will the demands end? Does one hand over control of their lives so easily and get away with it?
    2. In a knife-fight, you're going to get cut. That simple.

As for what we actually do, the answer is simple: we do the best we can.

9. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

in my thinking it really depends on the situation, if I feel that this individual is going to harm me or someone else I am with, I'm going to take him out. If I think its someone who is robbing me for the simple sake of robbery I'll give him/her what they want, with the exception of my car keys :).

The thing that most people may or may not know, but should be aware of is that during a knife fight, you are probably going to get cut, the big questions are where and how badly.

10. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

My first option would be to take your 3rd option; then try to talk them out of it, second option if that didn't work and first if all else fails - which means at least getting cut, lets hope not anything else...

(NB Vanir, I know Im contrvening a law of some kind but I like my guts where they are thank you!)

11. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

If I'm not backed into a corner and I'm pretty close to a lot of people I'm going to run for it (assuming he isn't close enough to just stab me in the back). I'd never try to fight someone for my wallet, I don't carry much around with me anyways. If I give him a good run all over the neighbourhood, a security camera might pick him up somewhere.

12. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

never know.. it's not as rare as people think..

but kicking and punching does not work much, usualy attackers on the street especially the ones who trying to sexually assault you attack you in a way that you fall down on the floor, before noticing.... to my opinion, best defence is at such a moment using pressurepoints in grappling.

13. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Most times all I have in my walled besides my credit card, library card, and ID is five dollars. I would give him the wallet if I was backed into a corner. Or if I'm far away and out of reach of his knive I would just RUN!
    RUN like the wind! RUN! RUN! RUN! There is no way a dude with a knife is going to catch me when I'm scared as hell.

RUN! Hop over fences, jump over benches, when he's seen coming get the hell out the entrance. RUN!

14. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

If it’s money they want give it to them. Run after you give them the money if you think you can. Do run toward people always. Do not ever go with them anywhere. You chance of survival drop drastically if you go anywhere with them no mater what they say about just cooperating and you won’t get hurt. It’s a lie. Even if they have a gun or knife or what ever do not go anywhere with them. If you are going to get cut or shot it’s better for it to happen somewhere you might get help. Not in the wood, alley or abandoned building somewhere. This is especially true for females. If they just want money they will take it there and leave.

15. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

I would give him all my stuff, but once he turns his back I would probably kick him in the head and knock him out, or injure him enough to disarm him.

16. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

Infact 17% of rapes in the UK are now on men... watch your backs

17. Orcrist

Orcrist New Member

Mostly guys that rob people on the street for 20 dollars are cowards, and weaklings. They might stab you, but they don't know **** about attacking.
    I do not know how to fight, but if I hate a bottle in my hand (which is possible if I'm out at night) I would throw it at him, and else I would run :)

18. Pika

Pika New Member

Wouldnt have a clue. Never been confronted by a guy with a knife.

Unless you have, every post made here is based on what you would do in your imagination.

Me, I would take him down and slap a choke on him.... lol

Would like to get some input from someone who has been training and found themself actually in this position, about the only realistic scenario you will get.

19. BryanX

BryanX Valued Member

For a second there, I thought you said you'd take him down and slap him.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

From recent experience, I'd distract someone threatening a friend, get stabbed, get bitten, and then pin them until they calmed down, and I had company, then let them get up and run away.