If I want to pursue MMA, should I start boxing or wrestling first?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pabloholder, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

AFAIK, the bit about sparring isnt true....

Lots of Ufc gyms have lots of fitness classes, but they also do run BJJ, wrestling and kickboxing classes, and they do allow sparring in them, but not always in the first day.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I have a lot of horse owners/riders in the family. If the injury risk of riding doesn't put you off, then the cost and maintenance time should! :D
    My kids don't ride (fortunately).

Even injury risk from not riding (bitten, kicked) is nasty, but not as high.
    Anecdotally, I've had less injury from my decades in martial arts than my sisters/mother from horse riding. (and my sister didn't want to start judo as she didn't want to get hurt).

Mitch, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

If you're an adult who hasn't grappled before I'd train BJJ or other submission grappling before trying to learn to wrestle. Wrestling is just too big a first step for most adult beginners in my experience, and people who lift a lot have an especially high propensity to get hurt and quit.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

"You play tennis. You're gonna get Tennis Elbow. "
    Quote from a movie - Somebody Up There Likes Me.
    An Aaron Kwok and Sammo Hung Muay Thai movoe where concussions play a main part of the film... and this was in the mid 90s.

There are a few things you gotta accept, despite all the safety measures made. Do I want a concussion? Of course not. Am I aware I might get one? Yes.

There are a lot of unknown side effects to "normal" activities that parents like to chuck children into. Like dance or gymnastics.
    My ex Partner was a dancer, and she suffered from long term lower back, lower limb issues and injuries (from falls or impact from constant jumps and lifts).
    People used to see me and her, and thought we both did combat sports.

If can be found on youtube... Penn and Teller's series name (masked profanity edited out. If you google "Penn and Teller" and "Cheerleading"- it will link the episode) has an ep discussing Cheerleading. And how that is not out right banned in US schools, I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019
    David Harrison and Southpaw535 like this.
  5. pabloholder

pabloholder Banned Banned

Francis = hardest puncher in the world?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's just ufc propaganda.
    There are no controls, calibration, consistency, etc.
    What even are the 'units' used? Newtons? PSI? Over what time scale?
    This is basically a high tech version of the punching machines you get at the fun fair and about as reliable.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Although with all that I've no doubt Ngannou punches very hard indeed.
    But in the fight game punching power is but one variable that has to be combined with timing, distance, set ups, game plan, etc.
    The hardest punch in the world isn't going to be of use if you can't land it.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What's he banned for?

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Pablo? Hidden spam links in his thread titles and turning out to be someone previously banned for the same thing

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Aaaah sound. Ah well.

11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf New Member

Let us know how it goes. Where ya went, what ya thought, etc. Sounds like you already know what it is you are looking for - MMA.

Good Luck :)