Idori

Discussion in 'Karate' started by GaryWado, Oct 14, 2012.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Although not practiced by all Wado groups, Idori is a good way to introduce some basic jujutsu principles into karate training.

I've seen pictures of Otsuka practicing Idori with Funakoshi sensei and I wondered whether it is still taught in any Shotokan dojo today?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ReDapo636-c&feature=endscreen"]Wado Karate Idori by Tatsuo Suzuki Sensei - YouTube[/ame]

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Non that I've come across , though I have seen similar stuff , just not as part of any syllabus just a one off "have a go at this" kind of thing.

3. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I agree , but it seems to have gone along with most of the grappling techniques in Shotokan.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the JKA used to do a bunch of suwari-waza stuff, but i duno how common it is nowadays:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRiZT-KYXE"]JKA Kumite Demonstration *rare* - YouTube[/ame]

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I've been with one Shotokan association that did them, but that was because they had a matted dojo and an interest in bunkai.

In my experience the clubs that are into bunkai tend to do a number of the nage waza from the Kata. Generally though the focus is on stand up striking and grappling techniques. It's a shame because it is obvious from the Kyohan that these exercises were a key part of Karate training before its Japanisation.

7. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I've looked at these pictures of Funakoshi doing idori before and found them interesting, but only up to a point.

From both a historical and practical perspective, its interesting to note that in the past people trained to deal with situations in social setting that they were actually likely to encounter. So a contrast with the usual dojo scenario of a one-on-one encounter stood up and starting at long range. And an encouragement to look at the kind of situations we may be faced with in our society and prepare appropriately for those.

Its also evident from this series of pictures that Funakoshi's techniques hadn't yet completely undergone the transformation from jutsu to do. For example, there's ample use of hikite to control the attacker's limb, plus the use of - what are now - less common fist formations.

But that transformation is clearly underway and I can't say I find the techniques especially inspiring, ie. I could work out stuff just as good or better myself without putting too much effort into it.

Mike

8. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi Mike,

I don't recognise the Idori being done by Funakoshi in the photo, It certainly isn't a Wado-ryu technique.

Whilst I understand your point about social settings and their appropriateness, I think sometimes you have to look beyond that. The Idori that is practiced in modern dojo today comes straight out of the Shindo Yoshin-ryu densho. On a surface level they have some great applications, but beyond that, they teach you how to use your body more efficiently.

Getting the last bit right is hard to be honest, and there aren't many Wado instructors that can transmit that well enough imo.

Also in most groups that use Idori, the corresponding standing versions are also taught.

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I t wouldn't surprise me if Otsuka stuck with the Ju Jitsu Itori rather than the karate versions.

10. Mike Flanagan

I've encountered that principle in Aikido before but never Karate. I grant that it can have some value.

I use a bit of kneeling training in teaching myself, but its of more of a spontaneous nature.

Mike

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Suwari waza are bloody good for the hips and legs.

*goes back to lurk mode*

12. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Idori is also good for training from the tanden.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  13. Mike Flanagan

Agreed!

Mike