Ideas for Punching Combinations

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by SoKKlab, Oct 22, 2003.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hi All,
    I'm currently teaching a small private Muay Thai class and am very big on people learning to Box well as an integral part of their MT training.

I've devised many drills and lesson plans in the past, which I use, but have found myself running out of variations for punching combinations/ padwork.

I don't want the beginners etc getting bored and would like to introduce sets of new skills, that are physically challenging before they are ready to move on to other work.

The Criteria would be:
    No more than four punch combinations.
    They can include the occassional duck under, slip, or change of position.

Would you be kind enough to list a few for me? I've probably used most of them, but someone may well have a couple of gems that I don't have or haven't thought of.

Alternatively if anyone knows any great Boxing Technique and Drills sites out there, please post them and i'll check them out.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Suggestions on Boxing Combos? .... some good suggestions here with some additional MT & Boxing links towards end of page.

Basically mix up your combos ... Jab-Cross-Hook-Uppercuts.... double up on one side such as the lead and single on the back hand (more of a power punch). Add bob & weave (slips) ... focus on speed with doubletime counts.

You might find some additional "ideas" here http://www.ifafitness.com/kmoves/index.html

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  3. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Jab variations...
    Offensive
    Defensive
    Probe
    Lateral
    Delayed
    Hi / Low variations

Combos..
    Jab
    Jab Cross
    Jab Jab
    Jab Jab Cross
    Jab Hook
    Jab Cross Hook
    Jab Jab Cross Hook
    Hook Hook (hi / low...low / hi)

Hi and low variations.
    Remember to add in offensive and defensive body, hand and foot work.

Snap
    Slip
    Bob
    Bob and weave
    Duck

Catch
    Parry
    Shoulder Roll
    Cover (hi / low)
    Elbow / forearm

(corners and scoop if its kick boxing and not just boxing)

Jeff

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I had a page on my web site with some of my own combos that I do with my class (but for some reason the host is down now) so.... I can always email it to you!

5. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

BTW

The boxing stance will not do well in Muay Thai or MMA, but there is alot of the boxing science that can cross over.

Jeff

6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

I know! I Know!

When I say 'Boxing', I'm talking about Hand combinations in and from a Muay Thai perspective and not pure Western boxing.

Although there is alot of cross over, obviously, they are not the same in terms of punch delivery, stance, weighting, movement etc.

As they are a class of either total beginers in Martial Arts, or people who have trained in other Martial Arts, but don't know any Muay Thai, then I find that the best place to start for MOST of them is, basic 'Boxing'.

This teaches them distance, timing, accuracy, power, movement, evasion, countering and what it means to get smacked in the kisser.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far, your suggestions are very much appreciated and i'll check out the various URLs, to see if I can nab anything of worth.

Cheers.

7. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

We use:

Jab, cross, left hook, right.

Jab, right uppercut, left hook, right.

Jab, right hook, left hook, right.

3 basic combos we use over and over again.