Ideal rest time between sets

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gray, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Gray

Gray New Member

A quick question: what is the ideal resting time between sets when weightlifting? (if it's important, then this question is in specific reference to benchpress and bicep curls)

Thanks.

2. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

Pavel and the Kettlebell guys are sticking by the tests that say don't fully recover between sets, only go back down to 80% max heartrate, and you'll see max strength gains. Them Russians know their stuff. It was in this month's hard-style mag. Less rest means more endurance work as well. :bang:

3. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends, if you are going for strength then up to 3 min and less, sometimes more. If you are looking for hypertrophy then around min maybe less.

4. Vigilance

Vigilance Valued Member

Ideal for what? I rest until I feel I'm ready to go again. For something like curls, I may only rest 30sec - 1min, squats and deads may be 2-3 minutes or more. There is no magic number that works best for everyone.

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Until you feel "ready" to go again. When the burning goes away from the muscle, when you catch your breath, after you take a drink of water. I generally keep rest between 45 and 60-ish seconds, even when doing heavier 5x5 work. But on lighter, higher rep (8+) work, I might only take 30-ish seconds between sets.

It's not important, as long as you promise us that those aren't the only exercises you do. :rolleyes: