ID this technique

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by hux, Oct 20, 2006.

1. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I was lucky enough to submit someone this way last night, but I don't know what to call it. It's the technique at :37 in this video - which is the only place I've seen it so far. Nasty nasty nasty arm break at the end of the video, if yer queasy be forewarned:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYuVQd-SdU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVYuVQd-SdU[/ame]

Afterwards the guy said "that's the weirdest kimora I've ever seen, but as long as it works...."

which I'm not sure was a compliment but hey, whatever hurts, right?

:)

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

holy crap! that was nasty! nearly fainted!

no idea what you call it hux.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Maybe it was picture #5 here? And he pulled up?

Didn't I read about this accident somewhere, and the report was that the bone broke under the BICEP area of his arm? (whatever that bone is called) That's a bone that is not supposed to break during a grappling match. :eek:

4. hux

hux ya, whatever.

nah, it ain't that. I'll see if I can get the wife to let me lock it on and take a pic tonight.

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Yep, it's a variant of Ude Garami or in BJJ, the "Americana" or "omoplata" (Please correct me if the terminology is wrong.) In kodokan judo, it's called "ude maki" and in Bujinkan Budo taijutsu, it's referred to as "musha dori".

This is the best pic I could find.

OK, found another

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  6. aikiMac

JP's story is here. He says it was a kimura. The bone at the upper arm broke. Totally freaky.

Other people talked about it here. (kimura, and they're quite upset with JP)

7. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I'm not talkin about the arm-break technique, though...I'm talking about the technique applied at :37 - where he takes control by applying some kind of standing arm bar or kimura type thing.

In my case, we were kneeling and faced each other the entire time, I just wrenched slowly till he tapped. It was pretty cool, my first "real" technical submission...usually I just throw my gorilla weight around and they gas out :)

I'll post a pic later tonight.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Kimura = variant of ude-garami = chicken-wing arm lock

9. aikiMac

Oh, but come on, the arm break is so much better! :D

It's got to be the pictures in Kogusoku's post.

10. Kogusoku

Nope, this is the Kimura (In Judo, it's known as Gyaku Ude Garami)

[​IMG]

This is Ude Maki or BBT's Musha Dori. This is the technique used in the tourney vid at 00:37, albeit slightly modified.

[​IMG]

Two techniques related by the same mechanism of locking the shoulder (One upwards and one downwards), but have very different entries and nuances.

11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm confused, please help me here. I thought...

• Ude-Garami is refered to as the Kimura in BJJ when the lock is rotated away from the head.
    • Ude-Garami is refered to as the Americana (a.k.a. Omoplata) in BJJ when the lock is rotated towards the head.

So Ude Maki is??? Sorry, this is a new term for me.

Here is a picture of the kimura and it looked like what he tried to do:

[​IMG]

12. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

In the Tsutsumi Ryu Ju Jutsu we refer to this technique as

Ura Ude Garami Henkawaza

Reverse Variant Arm Entanglement

Ura = Reverse
    Ude Garami = Arm Entanglement
    Henkawaza = Variant/Variation Technique

It is a variation of the lock a lot of people refer to as a Hammer Lock. The arms are the opposite way around

It is a shoulder lock so it should dislocate at the shoulder. If it broke the upper arm then the poor guy had a really strong joint and the break I would say was a spiral fracture. Nasty

Greg Palmer

Tsutsumi Ryu Ju Jutsu

13. Kogusoku

• Yep, that's called Gyaku Ude Garami in Kodokan judo [​IMG]

Yes, that's called Ude Garami in Kodokan judo [​IMG]

So you have;

[*] Gyaku Ude Garami = Kimura

And

[*] Ude Garami = Omoplata

Ude Maki is a variation of Ude Garami/Omoplata, where you entangle the opponent/enemy's arm. (e.g. if you are locking his right arm, you snake your left forearm through the inside of his forearm and outside his upper arm and then lever, by joining both hands underneath the opponent's upper arm.)

Look at the hands during the fight clip. The guy in black snakes his hand through.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Thank you Keikai-Tsutsumi and Kogusoku for clarifying that for me. I am forever the student.

15. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

Just to clarify a little more:

I believe the technique has been described as an inverted keylock / inverted americana, before. It's also the technique that Frank Mir used to tap out Pete Williams in (I believe) his first fight in the UFC, where he used it from guard.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llVreSoYsY8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llVreSoYsY8[/ame] <-- A demonstration.

And an omoplata and an americana are very different. An omoplata is a -kimura- with the legs, meaning it's a shoulder lock. An americana can also be done with the legs, but that's a very different move that doesn't really have a name to call its own.

Hope that helps! ^_^

Take care,

Stalks

16. hux

hux ya, whatever.

That's it! Yay! That's exactly the way I got the dude, only difference is that we were facing each other still kneeling.

Lotsa good info in this thread, thanks fer all the answers.