Icefields training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by icefield, Mar 31, 2014.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Might as well start another Log here and see if I can actually keep it up to date.

These days im basically a powerlifter come grappler, I attend a very good local powerlifting gym once or twice a week. I no longer train at my MMA gym of choice, Leicester shootfighters due to distance and work commitments, but I do attend a local MMA gym which whilst nowhere near as good is very cheap and convenient: In addition to a ring, matte area cardio machines and fixed weights it , has a power rack, OL bars and tons of weights and I have a key for it. I still miss the hard competition there was at LSF so in addition to attending 2 MMA classes at the said gym I also attend a very good local judo club (with a few black belts, and a number of coloured belts) and also still train with my kung fu coach once a week for some clinch/sticking hands sparring.

30/3/2014
    Kung fu class, finally made it down after several weeks off due to family issues and holiday, started with a light warm up then partner work, working against straight punches working reaction, closing off the centre and off balancing them with close range hung gar work. Added in sort hung gar hooks uppercuts and straight, working on using the body to throw the shots, keeping the arms from fully extending so you have some extension left if you need it, and have more cover at close range. Then went over the difference between rolling for the sake of it, and striking and clearing the line when its covered to continue to strike using lung ying principles and strikes.
    Then worked some close range sticking/clinch work starting off using hung gar tiger claws and moving into controlling the arms and body, using a slightly wider and less staggered stance which makes leg attacks harder.
    Then went through one of the hung gar pillar forms, one of the broad sword sets, and then some sword on sword sticking and movement work.
    Followed this with some line work, CLF long arm stuff up and down the hall first, followed by bak mei line work working on breathing, sinking and spitting.
    Then did several more rounds of sticking/clinch work with strikes, more free flowing than the clinch work at the start: working on arm drags, duck unders, single and double leg attacks and controlling the neck (single and double neck ties) whilst mixing in knee and low kicks, sweeps and body shots
    Finished with some pad work, working lung ying sinking and raising hammer fist strikes, and warmed down with some wing chun chi sao rolling drills.

Later on did 15 minute Yoga with my girlfriend

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Hoooray for another training log! :)

Just to ask - do you find yourself overly tired out after your powerlifting days when you try and go to your judo/mma/kung fu classes?

Also, competitive power lifter or just for fun? :)

Best of luck with your log :)

3. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Hung gar, lung ying, bak mei and CLF in one session? That sounds like a pretty cool kung fu school :D.

Anyway, good luck with your training log!

4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

my routine is normally
    monday MMA and weights (upper body mainly)
    Tuesday Judo
    Wednesday off day
    Thrusday MMA and upper back work
    Friday Powerlifting (all three lifts)
    Saturday off
    Sunday kung fu

Come Saturday i need the day off, when i powerlift twice a week the other day is wednesday so Come MMA class on thursday i am very tired, and come powerlifting friday im ready to sleep lol, i have no doubt my MMA and grappling holds back my progress in powerlifting, but i love both too much to give either up lol

I have done three powerlifting comps over the years, not competative for my weight catagory but i enjoy it, waiting until im a masters lifter (a years time) then hopefully i might get a few medals

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You missed out the wing chun lol

I know its looks a lot (way too much probably) lol BUT
    My teacher was a hung gar and wing chun instructor for years (as well as a college wrestler) before meeting his current teacher who taught him his family style (a mix of southern shaolin CLF and Hung gar) as well as the hakka arts, so he had a good solid background before even meeting his sifu and he spent 6 days a week training with him for years

Me i was a 3rd degree lau gar instructor and tai chi guy before meeting him, and i still forget stuff lol, I just like the contact training, the ease in which the CLF works with my Thai and MMA, and the way the hung gar and hakka stuff works for me in the clinch,

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

31/3/14 MMA class

got to class early for some weightlifting and sparring
    OHpress bar x 20, 40kg x 10, 50 x 5, 60 x 5, 40kg x 10 x 2
    superset 30kg seated row + 70kg pull down, 15+15 x 4 sets
    then some K1 style work, 5 minutes warming up with punches and leg kicks, setting the round house up off the lead hook, then 5 mins glove on glove work one side working defence the other attacking then swapping. then 2 x 3min rounds of sparring
    Main class
    Worked on bypassing the jab, cross and hook into the clinch, then takedown to pin or submission. 40min drilling followed by 30 min sparring, one side initiating the takedown the sparring for the pin or submission: pulled off a couple of footlocks, a reverse heelhook, a rear naked and a rolling armbar.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

1/4/14 Judo Class

Usual warm up then into throw entry practise, I worked on ipon sionagi, O goshi, uke Goshi and Hara Goshi, as well as Osoto Gari and osoto otoshi. Coach mixed in exercises in between the practise to ensure we were warm lol, I worked on keeping distance on the back turning throws to bring them into me and off balance them, and on squeezing them into and through my body, on the osoto’s I worked on off balancing them first, keeping them close and I walked through as I have a tendency to push them away.

Then throw practise, all of the above really kept it simple. Then 20 minutes of fun, throw fighting changing partners every minute or 2, with exercises between, and ground fighting when the coach called it out, basically at the end everyone was ready to throw up. Cuahgt a nice valley drop, an head and arm throw and a uke goshi, but getting launched through the air (twice) by an 17 year old who weighs 35kg less than me isn’t good for the ego

Ground work practise; we covered the same arm in triangle from guard we did last week, either choking or sweeping with it, as well as what to do if they pull the arm back (pin grab the belt with both hands and sweep to pin, we also worked sitting up into them and attacking one arm, moving our hips out to either catch pinch arm bar(remembering to push their head away) or taking the knee onto their back and switching to an arm bar, or taking the leg over the had to finish the arm bar.
    Also worked on rolling with them if they rolled to escape and finishing the arm bar there. New move was ctaching a figure four from guard as they come in, and using it to sweep and set up an arm bar from side control. Take home message from ground work, always move and use your hips, keep your head of the ground as well when on your back in guard

We finished with 20 mins of ground sparring, arm barred four of the coloured belts, and hit an omoplata on one of the blackbelts, went for an arm bar as he was turtled and rolled straight into it, wasn’t sure if it was allowed as it’s a shoulder lock but the coach said finish it so I did.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What belt are you in judo?

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

white belt, but I have over a decade of no gi experience at a very good club, hence I get launched through the air when standing but do ok on the ground lol

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

1/4/14 powerlifting

Foam roller warm up then deadlifts, 70kgx8, 110x5, 145x5, 170x1, 190x2, 190x2, 160kgx5.
    Bench bar x15, 60x5, 80x5, 100x2, 120x1, 120x1, happy with than still 20kg down on my best though :(
    Incline db press 27.5kg, 40 total reps, 15kg flys 30 total reps. 20kg rope face pull 100 total reps.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

2/4/14 Before bed 15 minute yoga

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

3/4/1/14 MMA class (before class)
    warmed up with some K1 stand up
    5 minutes glove on glove combinations, just working hooks into lower kicks
    5 minutes partner work one side throwing a 3 or 4 shot combination the other defending, them returning the favour
    5 minutes of boxing sparring, i wokred on my body shots
    then i did some back work, 30 total reps of ring pull ups, done ladder style. 50 total reps band face pulls, 50 total reps band rows

then main class, worked on bypassing or slipping punches into body control and take downs, first half of the class was drilling, last 30 minutes was sparring it off to submission, kept it simple straight achilles locks, arm bars and rear naked chokes.