Iaido

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Derrick, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

The blade used in iaido is called an iaito. the main difference is the tskua(handle) is about a third shorter to aid in drawing. Most iaitos are a light weight alloy, for instance the two I own are aluminum/zinc and zinc/berylium and they never have an edge.

In our school the closest thing to sparring we do is simulating what the attacker would be doing for a particular kata. For dans this is usually full speed and looks like actually sparring but it is mostly coreofraphed.

Andy you're right, the skull is very strong but the brain is very weak. A concussions could easily be achieved with a bokken, and once you have had one each one after is that much easier to have. Plus if some one who has been recently concussed recieves another good blow to the head there is a chance they could drop dead on the spot (this is true for any art really...). Shinai is the best way to go for full contact, yeah there is no arc to the blade and they do absorb alot of the impact but safety first. Dead and injured students dont pay the bills.

Also a live blade with a blood grove will teach you proper cutting angles much faster than ones with out. I think you can find bokkens now with a blood groove carved in them.

2. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

yeah you can, but those grooved bokken are dam expensive. I can believe someone would sell a wood sword for over 100-400 US dollar. Anyway there are some cheap one, but I much perfer an Iaito, or shinken.