Iaido schools in my area

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by GaryWado, Jul 20, 2010.

1. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hello,

The stock advice given by Karateka (like me) for students looking for advice in terms of “what karate club they should join” is.... Go and have a look/train with each option then decide.

At risk of being fed back exactly this advise - I would like to know your feelings on the following:

As a Wadoka who has "dabbled" with the odd bit of Daito-Ryu / Ono Ha Itto Ryu (at a very(very) basic level) - I have been - for some time - looking into joining a good sword school in my area.

Thus far, me and my good friend Google have managed to come up with a couple of options and just wondered whether you guys had any thoughts +/-?

They are both schools within the "British Kendo Association" (that’s where I found them) but I don't know if that stands for anything?

First is a "Muso Shinden Ryu" school:

http://www.shinbukan-guildford.org.uk

Other option is "Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu” school.

http://www.iaido.org.uk

As I understand it - both schools are closely related and just wondered whether anyone has any info about the instructors - quality of them and the depth of their group etc. that they would like to share?

I am sure they are all great btw.

Gary

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The first one looks good

but the second one training with knee pads? bokken? and iatos are disallowed?

I would go with the first.

Best of luck

koyo

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Is it just iai you are after?

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi Dean,

In a perfect world no.

I enjoyed the very brief training I did in paired kata (with bokken) - I don't know whether either group offers this.

I guess the only way to find out is to go and have a look.

That said I wouldn't disregard a school becuase it didn't.

However my combative (wado) teeth are still quite sharp.

Gary

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Like a lot of things one sword is good but don't you think two is better?
    :D

http://www.nitenichiryu.co.uk/dojo-uk.htm

There are some chaps in London but not sure what the situation is, contact via the website or pm ScottUK on here. He's the UK rep.

6. beer_belly

beer_belly Valued Member

The second one is fairly normal - looks like start with bokken then move to iaito (our dojo does the same saves a lot of wear and tear on the equipment, it put a stop to the endless bent kissaki from beginners using club loaner iaito etc) and recommends knee pads because their first set are a kneeling set.

I didnt use knee pads untill @ 14 years ago when a visiting hachidan hanshi said 'secret' and pulled up his hakama revealing a pair of what looked like volleyball pads.... got some the next year in Japan and have never looked back.

The OP is lucky to have 2 dojo like these to choose from....

But both of these schools are iaido, so therefor focus on single person kata in each supplemented by some form of two person work (kendo no kata in one and koryu 2 person forms in the other). If after kenjutsu, more 2 person work then the Niten people are more the ticket....

7. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I would recommend both. I know the sensei at both dojo and you would do fine at either. They should both be able to offer solo iai and kumitachi (in the form of tachiuchi no kurai etc).

However, you can always come have a scrap with us at our monthly weekend sessions. :D

8. koyo

Is the use of the bokken and knee pads common nowadays. I trained in Omoro ryu under Ishido shihan MANY years ago and it was ALAWAYS katana or iato that were used in iai.

Had to stop because the kamae was beginning to conflict with the aikido and aiki ken kamae.

9. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Most dojo insist on kneepads.

Bokuto are only used by beginners or for kumitachi practice.

10. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Hi koyo,

I stopped training (well I haven't officially given up - just not had chance to train recently) in Daito as the group moved dojo but in the most part because I couldn't manage the training times too well.

That said your point is valid also.

Even in the short stint I did - I started to notice ways of moving that felt alien to my Wado way of thinking.

But I put that down (in the most part) to that feeling of awkwardness you get when you are learning new stuff.

I say in most part as there were some out and out conflicts also.

Gary

11. koyo

I know where you are coming from. I had already been training in judo 8 years and shotokan 4 years before Chiba shihan came to live in Britain so I would NOT give up my balance and when asked to attack did so has hard and fast as I could.

Luckily I had been taught the shotokan bunkai that did NOT use stances so I survived )just) the aikido training. Today I hardly recognise much of what passes for aikido. Too many involved techniques,compliant "attackers" etc.

So I think I understand your out and out conflict.
    Sad that many aikidoka if you mention me say "He has a fighting mind." almost as if that is "un aiki."

SORRY for the rant.

Back on post. Below Shihan Ishido.The first to bring Iai to Scotland.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  12. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Hey Gary,
    Want to point out something to you that you'll definitely encounter if you pursue the sword arts. As a practicing karateka, much of what you'll be asked to do in the sword arts will differ quite a bit from what you are asked to do in karate. You are going to have to develop a "split personality" in order to keep them from bleeding over into each other. It's a bit difficult at first, but with practice you can do a mental shift from one art to the other so they won't bleed together to get you yelled at in both dojo! :)