Iai in the Bujinkan by Hatsumi sensei

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Big Will, May 17, 2011.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hey BigWill

There's another iai movement around 0.15 that I'm familiar with, but again with a different positioning of the body. In this case to provide enough structure to ensure the attacker can't just cut at you through your sword

I'm now offline - do you have the orginal footage? & if so is there a way you can put up a frame by frame of it?
    It would be really intersting to see Kacem's version and understand how he copes with this. The speed that he moves makes it difficult to see the depth of the form underneath the surface

Thanks loads and of course no problem if it's too much hassle

2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Is your name Ben too, sorry I thought you were Will?

My note was to Fifthchamber to avoid all these things you mentioned in order to not have you fly off the handle and instead debate rationally.

I guess because I started my post with your quote you may have thought that aimed at you - but it was not intended so. Perhaps it could have been clearer.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Sorry, completely my bad...

4. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Mattt....

For what it's worth, my "point" was "made" on page 2 (??).. I've just been arguing about why you can't do that for the last 12 pages....

And yes, I entirely agree. I won't be posting anything more on the video, I believe it is what it is, and also that some in the Bujinkan will never see it for what it is.. But that's cool... Like you all say, I'm "not Bujinkan"...If you want to use that waza, you're free to do so.(Besides, it's rare to actually need something like that, so you're safe even if you can't do it)..

Will, I spoke to you like a child because you were acting like one Sir.. While I regret being so blunt, your replies have all been "no, you're just not seeing it"/"It's rude of you to question it"/"Are YOU perfect?"/ad infinitum...So I wanted you to know why I felt none of your arguments were valid for this particular video...

While it may appear that I am angry, I assure you I'm not...I find your tone offensive, but living in Tokyo, I find many things offensive and won't speak about them...I also think that if you need to try as hard as you are to cover over a mistake like that by a senior teacher, you're in a bad shape to begin with...

The Bujinkan may well have wonderful swordsmen in it (And some of Kacem's work is a lot better), but that video posted initially was poor for reasons I've outlined (and Steve has) several times...You can keep writing about how I'm "wrong", but I'm not....And the video shows that.... (I might however, be wrong for YOUR dojo, or Kacem's or anyone else's....But those videos are not what I'm commenting on here)..

Anyway...I won't apologise, since honestly I think a little less of you after this debate, but if you ever end up in Japan and feel the need to show me what you meant here and how YOU do it, and then have a beer, I'd be more than open to the option.

Regards.

5. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Hi Ben, I appreciate your post.

Just a quick reply:

I don't think I have ever said something similar to "are YOU perfect?", so that is a little unfair. On the contrary, after you explained what you thought was wrong, I tried to give my interpretation of that same bit.

Here's what I wrote:

And then to Kogusoku, a few more snippets:

And to you:

And then you asked how people can then practice correctly, and I said:

And then you started laughing and putting words into my mouth:

And after that, there was me and several others telling you that there are people who attack properly in the Bujinkan, which you chose to ignore several times and again propose your thesis that there is NO ONE to attack Hatsumi sensei correctly.

So, no matter that Kogusoku - a mod - puts a thanks to your posts here, it's pretty clear who acted like a child and made this thread go downhill.

I'm not angry either, so I hope we can put this behind us. I would just appreciate it if you in the future don't put words into other people's mouths, laugh, and then call them for childish behavior.

Okay :cool:

My point was that given the nature of Hatsumi sensei and the Bujinkan as an organisation, no one here is surprised by the relaxed and maybe sloppy way he demos in that video. No one has said you are WRONG. You are right in what you see. The only problem is that those who practice sincerely and correctly do not copy what he does straight off, but instead try to find something for their own practice from what he is conveying at the moment.

I was just watching him last night from a DKMS video where he showed a few ways of striking in a certain Kotô Ryû kata. His timing was "off", he didn't show proper form, but I just looked at the way he did a very small thing and I was like "aaaaaahhhhhh, that explains THAT, which in turn explains THAT2", where THAT and THAT2 are things I have done with my teacher and am practicing in my own training.

The same goes for the sword video.

It would be fun, and I sincerely hope we can do that some day. :hat:

Peace.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I feel that with Hatsumi we're observing him training or acting in a manner that is free from rules or the structure of things. This is only possible once you've trained thoroughly in the basic structure/conventions for many years

This is quite a common concept in old treatise on sword/budo/zen (for example I think it's referred to in the Yagyu tradition)

For me it is great training to follow him, but it's really only to understand/feel where it's possible to get to in many years time. Akin to laying out the path ahead rather than actually believing I'm able to pull it off today

7. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Thanks to the critics for some great food for thought!

:bow1:

8. Varulvsnatt

Varulvsnatt New Member

THIS is one of the few (lots of) reasons I left Bujinkan. I'm Kendo Shodan and I trained like half a year Budo Taijutsu. I had loads of fun with Jujutsu and things like that. But man, I hate its kenjutsu. And when I did realize that it was "destroying" my waza I said: "Damn, I gotta stop doing this, for my own sake."

So I started Kyokushin Karate :rolleyes:

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do you do a sword art to compliment your kendo?

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Generally I think half a year is possibly too short a time to understand any art.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

If he'd got enough kendo experience at the time he could gauge if BBT might muck up his waza. Also given that a number of BBT teachers don't really know swrod in any real depth then there might not be the opportunity for him to have discussed the Kenjutsu in the Bujinkan to ascertain if the problems could be overcome.

13. Varulvsnatt

Varulvsnatt New Member

Well yeah, Seitei Iai and MJER. Although now I moved to a new city so I haven't been training anything for about six months, I don't think I can even handle a shinai, hahaha.

You may say "half a year" is not enough time. And I absolutly agree with you! So I'm not saying I DID understand Budo Taijutsu. I just stopped because I didn't like what they were doing in Kenjutsu terms (and in Iai terms, it was even worse). Not only in my dojo, but in other dojos and those "shihans" I met from my country.

Still, there are many reasons I left Bujinkan that has nothing to do with Ken and Iai, but that's for another topic I guess! :hat:

14. gor

gor Valued Member

Just out of curiosity, where are you from Varulvsnatt?

15. Varulvsnatt

Varulvsnatt New Member

Mar del Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina, my fella! But right now I'm living in Capital Federal (or City of Buenos Aires). Sorry for my english, though!

16. gor

gor Valued Member

Now I am even more curious, as your profile Varulvsnatt is Norwegian. Black Metal fan?

17. Varulvsnatt

Varulvsnatt New Member

What a good eye! Yeah, I used to be a black metal fan. It kinda "educated" me, but I'm a bit tired of new black metal bands. I'm more into dark-wave, jazz and folk music now.

And "Varulvsnatt" comes from an Otyg song, so its swedish I guess!