I want your Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Anth, May 20, 2008.

1. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

That looks quite awesome! I might add it when Aegis finally gets the server sorted. Nice find! :)

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

That function has now been added. I'll see how the server takes to it but it should be fine :)

Nice find, and thanks again!

3. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

No problem, I really did it for me though =D.

Looks awesome.

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

90% of the things on MAP were added simply because I like them so don't worry about things like that ;) :p

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

MAP got AJAXed :eek:

Looks pretty cool. Gonna confuse the hell out of me next time I forget to turn Javascript back on though.

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Looking at the next version of vBulletin, that bit of AJAX is a drop in the ocean!

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I'm getting out of the swing of adding things to MAP, I've got very little to do this week and I'm sick of waiting for this new server to be set up so I'm going to start testing the "thanks" system tomorrow. If all goes well and I don't find any show-stoppers then I'll get it documented and added by the end of the week :)

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Anyone who wants the thanks system will want to check out the latest entry in the Development Journal ;) :)

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Got an even better form of tower defence getting added soon - pirates vs ninja :D

10. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

I have a suggestion!

Sell MAP to me!

[​IMG]

Muahahaha hahaha haha! *twirls moustache*

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

How about a reason box when adding thanks? Similar to when you edit a post

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I am sure it has been said to the cows come home but the site is so so so slow.

I would suggest fixing that first as my hardware is high spec but this is the slowest site I have found on the net and oddly it never used to be.

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Hardware is top priority as its not only you who isn't happy with the speed of the site. Aegis has more info about our new server.

14. Illonos

Illonos Black spotted reader.

I was just wondering, and this post may be misplaced; Why aren't there a forum here for the Keysi FM?

15. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

Are we allowed to ask for gear/product reviews? It would be nice to be able to get some feedback on gear before handing over your hard earned cash.

I am aware of the potential for abuse by companies trying to use stealth advertising however....what is the current situation?

16. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Terminology Definitions

This idea came up in another thread. I haven't had time to read all of the
    posts to see if it's already been suggested, but at the risk of duplication...

I wish the forum software were setup so that terminology could be clickable for a definition.
    I see a lot of Japanese (or other language) words for techniques and I don't know what they mean. It would
    take some doing, but if someone could setup a subroutine which would automatically create a link to a glossary.

Even better (in an ideal world), I would be able to set a preference… either I could have it work as I described
    above, have it work like it does now, or, in another available option it would automatically put a brief translation
    or definition in parenthesis right next to the jargon/terminology.

What may seem like commonplace terminology to someone who has been studying martial arts
    for awhile is not always known by us newbies.

I don't know if it would even be possible... but it sure would be helpful!

Yeah, that's what I meant... but, I don't really like the mouse over way of doing it
    because I end up with little popup windows opening unintentionally when I'm trying
    to read - but I suppose that could be another selectable option for people who want it that way.

As far as agreeing on meanings... maybe multiple meanings could be given where appropriate.

17. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Perhaps using the word filters, where you could, for example, set it to where someone says "dojo", "dojang," or "kwoon," either term would be automatically replaced with "dojo/dojang/kwoon." Might take a little work but would probably be a worthwhile investment given how much time it would save people googling or having to ask, etc.

18. Muawijhe

Muawijhe Dreams of Madness

So maybe a filter hotlink for certain terms that when clicked upon opens up a MAP definition database (similar to how the smilies open up) that has the difinition (or definitions) as well as a Search feature.

That might be easier, and allow new terms to be added over time. Also something that would be searchable if not viewing a thread, just to learn more of different terms.

19. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

That's an interesting idea...
    when there are multiple definitions, have one (the most common) be the default,
    and if you want a different one, you can go to the User CP and set what definitions
    will be used when you use jargon, acronyms, etc.

20. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I first came on board primarily as a proxy for my kids - who're doing various MAs. I've noticed a number of other parents whom I've come across have specific questions and comments as it relates to their children and MA.

We manage to find each other by accident. I think it a good idea to have a seperate forum for just that. A lot of posts from mums and da's get buried and overlooked and they nodoubt wander off not having their questions answered unless another parent happens to be monitoring a particular section or post at that instant.

By the same tokken, many of the other members don't want to be bothered by "kiddie karate" threads and shouldn't have to unless they've got a relevant take on it.

At the other end of the spectrum, there are a number of us old geezers who are starting MA at relatively advanced ages and it would'nt hurt if they had their own pub as well.

I happen to fall into both camps and I've met a number on here who fit in that niche as well.

Whatcha think?