I want to study

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by G.Razvan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hello. As I do martial arts for 2 years, I started to be very interested in non-conventional medicine, you know (chi,prana,yoga,meditation), things like these.
    Untill I'll reach the great country of China I'd want to study what I can and can practice.
    Can somebody help me in this joruney of self-discovering? Books, methods, anything. Thank you :)

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Not trying to be funny here or anything but before you start studying that sort of thing I'd get a good grounding in critical thinking and how the scientific method works. And I'm trying to be properly open-minded in giving this reply - it's no secret that I'm strongly sceptical about these things. There's an awful lot of nonsense out there, IMO. I should know, I used to believe in a lot of it! Both these things will help you to strip away the nonsense from any truth (if there is any). Ideally you only want to believe in the parts that are actually true, right?

3. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hello. I thank you for your suggestion. This is a very good idea, yeah, I'll start to study the scientific methods ( as I learn a lot at school too :) ). But I'll keep my visor on the un-conventional medicine, but after I'll understand the conventional. One, more question , you said that you believed in un-conventional medicine, what dissapointed you?
    Have a nice day!

4. CosmicFish

It wasn't so much unconventional medicine, but all sorts of things. Quite a lot of things associated with the "New Age" beliefs. Auras, astral projection, that kind of thing. And it wasn't so much a disappointment but a coming to realise that I was believing in them for the dubious reason that I wanted to and doing so made me feel good. I think what finally changed my mind was when I realised that what I wanted most of all was to believe only in things that I could be reasonably sure were true, and that dumping a load of old treasured beliefs wasn't actually going to be a great loss but more of an unburdening.

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I have the same faith in non-conventional medicine as I do in non-conventional engineering. That is none.

You see, if it really works and can be tested scientifically then its not non-conventional, it's just medicine. If it can't it's non-conventional but it's not medicine.

6. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hey. Ok, I see your point. But, IN MY OPINION I still consider your attitude , wrong. Why? Because you don't have clues that this kind of medicine don't work. AND, I consider most of the non-conventional informations (most on the internet) , <nonsense>, made by jerks that didn't ever felt the ilumination.
    This is my opinion :) Anyway, I'm very glad to hear your experience. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  7. CosmicFish

Just a friendly warning to watch the language as we are a family-friendly forum.

Thanks.

8. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Aw...I'm very sorry. Didn't wanted to say something wrong. What's the nonsense?

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Double Blind Clinical Trial. You show me anything that can pass it then you get the Bear Paw of Approval.

The Bear.

10. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

To be sarcastic is very easy. I'm very sorry for my limited english. Can you explain me what is the mistake?

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

12. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Thanks. Didn't know about it :D

13. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

That's the point I was making. It it passes a double blind test it's not non-conventional any more, it's just medicine. if it can't pass the test it's simply not medicine.

14. lieqi fan

lieqi fan Valued Member

If you're going to China, the logical thing would be to read about Chinese medicine. The most comprehensive introduction to the subject for the layman is "Chinese Medicine -The Web that has no Weaver" by Ted J. Kaptchuk. It is usually the first book that people read before studying TCM.

If you don't want such a detailed explanation try Google. This site is not the right place to get helpful replies about complementary medicine.

15. G.Razvan

G.Razvan Valued Member

Hello. Thank you for your reply :) I'll try this book.

16. Dr KVR

Dr KVR New Member

The mind is a great healer where belief is strong enough.....the correct name is complementary as it complements main stream medicine....off the top of my head both westminster and middlesex unis offer accredited training in TCM and Morley college London offers shiatsu and yoga....Never underestimate the power of touch

17. Dr KVR

Dr KVR New Member

and you're in romania lol .....better google search and check accreditation

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Universities also offer courses in David Beckham, but I would not suggest you take him for a cold

19. Dr KVR

Dr KVR New Member

And as I said i agree its only complementary.....take nothing for a cold your body will heal itself, especially not David beckham his wife doesn't look too well on it :)