I want to strengthening my bones

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by saar1320, Mar 19, 2011.

1. saar1320

saar1320 New Member

I know that is important to get calcuim, but I need exrecises to work with.
    Thank you and sorry about the English.

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Put simply: heavy weightlifting - with the goal of getting as strong as possible.

3. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Calcium is important but overrated when it comes to bone strength and density. The bulk of strength and density in your bones comes from a protein matrix, and therefore high protein diets are important for building and maintaining strong bones.

Loading of the whole body, particularly the spine, will have the greatest effect on overall strength and bone density.

So eat lots of eggs, fish, and meat. Also be sure to squat, deadlift, and press heavy weights over your head for the bulk of your training.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

And do your roadwork.
    The impact of running will help increase bone strength and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I started a thread on this topic once and Slip posted a really great reply about our skeletal system.I cant find it but I am looking

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I found this reply from slipthejab it was a reply from a thread I started about the skeletal system.

Quote from slip.........Good questions. One's that I've been doing a fair bit of research on myself. Spurred on by what seems to be the never ending stream of people who come to MAP and run on about how kicking/hitting hard objects conditions them in a HARDCORE way.

Sadly many of them have never taken the time to research and understand the process of ossification. That is... the building of new bone tissue. Despite what we commonly think of as being nothing more than hard white 'thing'... bones are very much living tissue and react differently to different stresses. In fact deep in your bones is where your blood cells are manufactured. They also act as a warehouse for different salts and minerals... they protect your viscera (that's all your soft internal organs eg. guts)... as an example... your skull is bone and it protects your brain... just as important is your vertebrae (your spinal bones) protect your spinal cord... and last but not least they support the body - that is the skin, the muscles, the tendons, the fascia... and even some of the actual organs themselves. Without your skeleton you'd be a puddle of pink floppy stuff.

Not all bones are created equal in just a given person and not all people are created equally if you were to look at a cross section. Many, many factors come into play not the least of which would be:

- genetics
    - diet
    - environment
    - work habits
    - lifestyle

The single best way in this day and age short of taking a manual labor job to build up your skeleton is to eat properly and strength train. That's right training with resistance (dumbbells, Olympic bar, kettle bells, cable machines) all work to strengthen your skeleton. The skeleton is the framework for the musculature and the when you move heavy weights there is great stress transferred to the skeleton in order to disperse that load over the greatest range possible. From this tidbit alone we start to gain insight into why compound lifts and movements that cross multiple joints and use the natural kinetic chains in the body are so much more beneficial that isolated, single joint movements. I'll take integration over isolation every single time.

When I refer to the idea that the skeleton is the framework (which is really just saying the skeleton is... well... the skeleton) it's important to understand that one a very simplified level the skeleton are the levers and the muscles are the pistons that move and stabilize those levers. All muscles have an origin and insertion point on the bones... on that very framework. So the muscles (and tendons and other connective tissue) are directly integrated into the whole system that is the human physique. In fact as you begin to study anatomy and physiology... a massive emphasis is placed on being able to know and understand the origin and insertion points on the skeleton. It's a must know for personal trainers (PT's) and coaches of all kinds. Sadly many of them simply haven't got a clue, have long since forgotten... or just plain don't care.

Sadly not many martial artists seem to be very clued on their anatomy and physiology past the bare bones (pun intended basics). It might not be all that surprising actually as the study of bones alone is a specialty in the fields of anatomy and physiology. There is a vast and complex series of interactions with millions of possible variables between your musculature and your skeletal system... new insight into this is emerging rapidly with the focus these days being on the myofascial nets that are part of the musculature. The human body is incredibly complex and if one wants to get to grips with it... it does require a lot of reading and thought.

Just sheer gravity alone acts to make you stronger. This is why astronauts in space begin to suffer from bone density loss in low or zero gravity environments - due to the fact that there isn't a force of gravity exerting stress on the skeletal structure so the body stops producing new bone material (understand that is the ultra layman's version of events... eg. my own). Walking down the city street places massive amounts of stress on the bones in your feet and you overall skeleton. Kicking heavy bags also places huge stresses into the skeletal system. As do running and jumping and just about any physical activity.

It's a fascinating and very deep subject to begin to explore. I've been reading for a long while now and I've only just scratched the surface.

Hope that gives you some place to start considering all the different factors. How that all applies to martial arts can be controversial and complicated. Since 'martial arts' is such a broad and rather generic term looking for any scientific abstracts relating to bone strength and martial arts training will yield a big nothing. It's just not studied. So martial artists are left to pick and assemble information from other sports... usually the Olympic type sports of track and field or college/pro sports such as NFL, NBA or Soccer (football if you're from the rest of the world outside America). There are thousands of studies for all sorts of events and scenarios. However sifting through them all can be nightmarish and break all but the most steadfast and steely nerved of researchers. Not to mention that interpretation of data of this type can be just as controversial as the research itself.

At the moment - the long short of it is... good diet, strength train, avoid hitting hard objects. If one is looking to condition bone to become more dense... then the safest and most effective route to date is punch bags. Makiwara as used in karate can also be successfully used. But be wary of anyone who comes on and starts to go into the old chest that is 'oh me and my trainer kick trees' or 'my sifu said kick steel posts' or 'Bruce Lee kicked cast concrete'... that is the surefire sign of someone who is ignorant of the actual bio-physical processes that the bone must go through in order to increase strength (eg. bone density) and has been sold down the river by mysticism and charlatanism that is so rife in martial arts.
    End quote.......

Hope this gives you some help.

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Also polequins method of un racking 150% of you 1RM between sets of squats, and holding for a few seconds.

His reasoning was different but the effects ar the same.

SQUAT!!

8. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Overrated? I think not considering majority of people don't consume enough calcium.

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Quite a lot of people eat plenty of calcium but pee it back out again because you have to have the right other nutrients VitD included to use it. Overdose of calcium can actualy leach more calcium out your bones.

10. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

iv been useing vit D threw winter, from research iv done il take no more while i can get out in the sun...but always a good thing to consider with plenty of milky drinks when days get dull....iv felt pretty good on it in genral

bests kamau

11. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Don't quote it out of context: I said "overrated when it comes to bone strength and density". As in, having strong bones is dependent on many more important things than how much calcium you take in; for example consuming large amounts of protein and frequently stressing your skeletal structure with heavy compound exercises.

We are often given the impression by the media that as long as we have a glass or two extra of milk each day we'll have strong bones. This is a gross exaggeration, and it's why the lay perception of calcium in regard to bone density and health is very overrated.