I tried

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by slickoneuk, Sep 11, 2012.

1. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

A while back I started Shotokan Karate, I have discovered that it just isn't for me. Tonight I start Mauy Thai, I am very excited!

That is all

Over

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Why do you like one style over the other?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. slickoneuk

I enjoyed the Shotokan but it felt like a huge step backwards. The instructor was a Karate guy through and through, nothing could face karate etc.

4. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

So was it the instructor or the style and moves etc?

Raz

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I'm never talking to you again. I feel... used.

:p

6. slickoneuk

I enjoyed the kata part. I just felt like I was taking a step backward and being deskilled. Low stance, no contact sparring etc. It just did not feel real. I still enjoy watching karate katas but it is just not for me.

7. slickoneuk

Sorry llam, I really tried man.

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

That's all we can ask for. It's not for everyone, for sure - especially in the way it is usually taught.

9. slickoneuk

The instructor was very good, he really loved Karate. He had never trained in anything else so his only perspective was a karate one. My club in UK was very open minded. Our chief instructor looked at training as a global thing, not just a one string bow.
    Anyhooo, Mauy Thai tonight. I watched a class last week. Instructor is good, I joined in towards the end. Man am I out of shape! lol

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's Kyokushin in Montreal. Just sayin'.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Tristar's in Montreal too.
    I hear they've helped create a fighter or 2. :)

12. slickoneuk

There is indeed kuma, it is about 10 mins from where I live. Tristar is other side of town, getting across Montreal is a nightmare! The Mauy thai club I have joined is a Brazillian Top Team club. I can train bjj to if I fancy. it is 5 mins from my house. Really excited about tonight! small squeel and a girly jump in the air with a heel kick

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Kyokushin and knockdown in general is much bigger in Canada than the US. Consider me jealous.

14. slickoneuk

Westisland karate club is Kyokushin.

15. slickoneuk

Tristar certainly has PAS, its just such a pain to get too. I have had a few bad reports from work pals about tristar. If you are not a serious serious trainer then you tend to get overlooked and left to your own devices. I have noe experience of this. its just what I have heard.

16. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

This is true. I for example joined a Kyokushin dojo last night.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You lucky sod! That sounds amazing.

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

OSU! Enjoy it? Good luck with your training.

19. slickoneuk

I searches for months to find a kickboxing or mauy Thai club and ther was nothing. Then I was out for a bite with my wife as spotted this place. I can virtually see it from my back garden! always the way eh!

20. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Yeah I did. Thank you.

I hear Brazilian Top Team Canada is a pretty good group to train with. What I would give to live in Montreal...