I took my friend down to the TKD dojo! What the heck does....(look inside!)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by AIKIDO_WORKS!, Sep 24, 2003.

1. AIKIDO_WORKS!

AIKIDO_WORKS! New Member

WHAT THE HECK IS WTF and USTU?! My friend wanted to take up TKD and we were veiwing the class. We asked the student what style of TDK and he said WTF and had to run and catch the others who were about to start. We could'nt stay for the whole thing and they were sparring hard, so we never had a chance to find out what that ment. The guy also said something about USTU! What does this all mean? I take Aikido and he is a boxer and neither of us ever heard of a style called WTF or USTU. That's strange. Can someone clear this up?

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

WTF is World TKD Federation I believe, as opposed to ITF which is International TKD Federation. Not so much seperate styles as different aims and methods of training.

No idea what USTU is, but I'm guessing something similar.

3. AIKIDO_WORKS!

AIKIDO_WORKS! New Member

Wow, that was a fast response! So is training in WTF any good, or not?

4. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

USTU= Unite Stated Taekwondo Union
    WTF=World Taekwondo Federation
    ITF=International Taekwondo Federation

There not styles, but more like unions. If you train under USTU, then you will get a your degrees from them. Same for the rest. WTF/ITF has slightly different forms, but same concept in anything else. Basically there all Taekwondo.

5. AIKIDO_WORKS!

AIKIDO_WORKS! New Member

So all of these unions teach real TKD or sport TKD? My friend wants to learn the real art, not the sports stuff!

6. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

WTF tends to be more sport oriented
    ITF tends to be more traditional

However, it really depends on the instructor. Talk to the instructor, and look at what the class is learning. That is more important than what Federation it belongs to.

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

since this is another episode of "Drop the flogged Donkey", in normal circumstances I would provide a link to somewhere in this site.

However I am stuck in a net airport thingy!!!!

Use the main page (or search forums buttons fields) type in WTF or World taekwondo federation.

Lo and behold at least 20 threads about this topic!!

Enjoy!!

P.s Great picture!!!..... do we really need to see it in EVERY post????? :D

8. alcapone

alcapone New Member

AIKIDO_WORKS! - WTF is South Korean, ITF is North Korean, that's the basic difference and as others have mentioned, the different origins and "cultures" have influenced the styles meaning there are differences in the forms.

WTF can be more sport orientated, but not always. I learn WTF "style" the traditional way, the sporting element is simply a bonus.

The USTU will prob just be the name of that particular "school". This again, would invlove differences in teaching styles etc from another WTF "school". Basically, you will find that the dojo you went to will teach elements of the traditional styles even if it's sport orientated, go along and join in, speak to the Master, ignore all the politics, it doesn't matter. If you have fun at that particular dojo, go for it. If you don't find it fun, go to another dojo, don't pay any notice to the WTF ITF stuff, it's irrelevant.

Hope this helps.

AL

9. BlackRaven

BlackRaven Oldbie

Jeez AIKIDO_WORKS!, that is one big signature!!

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

USTU

Other posters have covered ITF and WTF, which are the governing bodies and which issue the dan certifictates.

The USTU is the United States Taekwondo Union. Basically they govern tournaments and handle insurance and such for sparring. They offer licensing for referees and training. Gnerally if you want to fight in a sanctioned (WTF) TKD tournament in the US, you need to join the USTU.

I used to be a member when I was going to tournaments and I also joined them to get the newsletter (and even a cool patch). When I tried to renew, they were not very organized and after 6 months of trying to give them money and get renewed, I gave up. That was a few years ago so I don't know much about what they do currently.

Keep in mind that just because a school has a WTF/ITF/USTU/etc flag or sign up doesn't mean that it ONLY teaches for tournments. It might or it might not. Go in and check it out. Base you decision on the individual instructors and schools... not on a set of letters.

11. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Re: USTU

:D I'm sold, where do I sign? :D

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

There is a web site. Basically I joined them because they offered insurance for tournaments, newletters and a new patch upon renewal (new color each year). I tried for a long time to renew but they were very disorganized and I got tired of trying to give them my money. The other benefits of the USTU I never used and don't remember them.

Here is the info: http://www.ustu.com/index-gi.html

13. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

From a lot of what has been going on with all the big orgs (WTF and all the ITF's *LOL*) I would not worrie about the org. Go to the school and talk with the students and the instructors about the class. Just get a feel for the school and see if you like it and feel right being in there. Just watch out for the school that only talk about money.

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I agree with those who said that you should talk to the instructor. There are differences between WTF and ITF when it comes to the gear, rules (competitions), forms...What you saw at the Olympic games is WTF.
    AIKIDO_WORKS, you said that your friend wants to learn the real art not the sports stuff. In the school I started at we didn't only focus on the competition rules. we covered so many other things that you need in real life, if somebody attacks you, what to do when being attacked with different kinds of weapon etc etc etc. it all depends on the school, i.e. the instructor, but i don't think that your friend will find a school that does not participate in competitions and that neglects the competition rules and focuses only on something else.

15. Chinesericeboy

Chinesericeboy New Member

ooo i thought u meant tat WTF meant What The F*ck! heehee...

16. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

naughty naughty.... :)