I return with a semi-broken body!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tian-Tian, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I learned the Palgwe forms ("hyungs") when I first started TKD as a wee laddie back in '88. Think of them as "old skool" WTF.

Think of it like when you chamber a bullet in a gun before you fire. It's either "chamber" or "c.o.c.k." (as in cocking your weapon) and here in Britain the latter refers to a certain male appendage ;) [Edit: I put in the dots to get around MAP's auto censor feature.]

Just be cautious with your ankle :cool:

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Well actually you do here about the cocking of the leg, but it's normally used to describe a non-kicking activity.

And fire hydrants.

3. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Fire hydrants??? Strange! :confused:

Update on the ankle again... it's definitely tender this morning, but wrapping and icing and elevating it yesterday after practice seemed to help immensely. I have to be out and about today running errands, so I'll have to just take it easy on it.

One of the things I've been using on my tendons is something called Voltaren Gel. It's usually used to treat arthritis but my orthopedic surgeon recommended it to me for my ligaments and tendons. So far it works like magic to relieve pain, but it doesn't necessarily make everything brand new... also, I used Tiger Balm quite a bit last year. I'd rub it in once a day on the affected joints and that seemed to keep the damage from progressing.

Anywho, I gotta get ready for today. I'm debating whether I want to head over to TDK sparring practice at my school on Friday or see if I can check out the WTF TDK school sometime this week. We'll see.

Where did I put my tennis shoes? I need support on my feet. No chanclas today. :cool:

4. Tian-Tian

Okay; I lied. I wore chanclas and now my entire left leg hurts. Great job, Eva. :rolleyes:

In other news: I FOUND A WTF TDK SCHOOL!! So excited! At some point this week I want to check them out. They have a $99 special for 8 weeks (includes free uniform apparently) then it's $75 after that a month. 5 days a week training (instead of the twice a week I've been doing) and twice a month on Saturdays they do competition training, in which they run 2 miles, then spar for two hours.

My only concern is finding a decent sparring partner since I'm a very short (5'5") heavyweight (220 lbs. currently). :confused: We'll see.

Oh, the place is here: National School of Martial Arts
    http://www.nsmataekwondo.com/ It looks very organized (though the building itself looks very small from the outside... probably isn't the case inside).

So YAY! Excitement ensues! :D

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sounds like a dream! Good luck, have fun and be cautious with your ankle.

6. Tian-Tian

Thanks, Van! :) I don't know yet when I'll be able to get out to the new school... not tonight due to transportation issues and definitely not this next week only because my ankle really needs a week off from twisting and jumping and all that. :eek: I'll be doing light stretching and light jogging in the meantime.

7. righty

righty Valued Member

A visual example of 'cocking a leg'

[​IMG]

8. Tian-Tian

Oh! Haha I can be very clueless; thank you for educating me, righty. :)

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Did you do your latest training barefoot? If you explain your injury history to the instructor he might permit you to wear training shoes during the lesson.

10. Tian-Tian

Yep, I was barefoot.

A good suggestion but I have two problems:

1. I don't have any training shoes. :(
    2. If/when I have money, what kind of training shoes should I get?

I remember Grandmaster Yoon NEVER taught barefoot; he always wore a pair of Adidas (and if i may say so myself, I quite fancied those shoes).

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I just noticed this:

Stretching = yes. Jogging = NO! :)

Right now you want to avoid as much impact to your ankle as much as possible. Remove any running, skipping or jumping (even bouncing on the spot in TKD, or kicking a heavy shield) from your training. You may need to speak to the instructor to make him aware of this.

These?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADIDAS-TAEKWO...vr_id=&cguid=2f27e7711270a0e2036288a2ffd74e10

They're nice, but running shoes would be better for you because of the support they provide.

12. Tian-Tian

Aww! Not fair!
    Okay okay, would swimming be better? Mind you I'm trying to find every excuse to burn off calories and get some strength back. I've even taken up doing crunches while watching Grey's Anatomy. ;)

Yep, those would be the ones. Wicked awesome shoes. :D
    Running shoes, you say? Wouldn't those ruin a mat? Or are there some mat-friendly running shoes?

13. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Personally I'd recommend a using a rowing machine if you want to exercise without putting strain on an injured ankle. Worked well for me, and it can be a very intense workout.

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sure. Also rowing, eliptical trainer and exercise bike. Bear in mind you need to burn off 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat.

Hmm... maybe get the TKD shoes and insert sole supports? But still refrain from jumping too much if I was you.

15. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Good to have you back. I know this is a little unorthodox, but I'd actually encourage you to do some mild strength exercises. That may actually help with the joint pain. Mainly injury prevention work, you know- grip exercises, core work, that sort of thing. As for the cardio, how does swimming grab you?

16. Tian-Tian

Swimming actually sounds great!!!... except every pool in town overcharges just to use the lap pool. Public pools won't be free until May when the schools let out for the summer. Silly, I know.

Once I get some extra change in hand (ie, get a job... I've applied to over 7 so far) I'll be glad to hit the pool again. :) I used to be on swim team back in high school (and water polo!). I wasn't a fast swimmer, but I always had good, solid kicks and good, steady pull. It also helped immensely in building my lung strength.

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

do you live inland then? I've always thought the pool comes a poor second place to swimming in the sea.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Swimming in the Gulf of Mexico? Not unless she wants to become shark bait!

19. Tian-Tian

Or prey for jellyfish!!! :eek: And sadly, the Gulf water at my usual (2 hours away by car) hangout is disgusting; gunky brown and full of sulfur due to the offshore oil rigs in the area. :( I have never seen true blue ocean water.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Get yerself to Tampa (my home as a teenager) or Clearwater in FL. sometime. Water is as blue as a summer sky.