I Pod Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Stan O'Kella, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hey folks, did a search and couldn't find anything, apologies if i missed it.

My PC crashed and took all my music with it, all my good stuff is on my I pod, does anyone know any software i can get to get the stuff off my i pod and back on my now fixed PC?

Cheers.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I had a similar problem Stan,but luckily managed to retrieve my music. As far as I am aware though there aren't any programmes from Apple that do this, I imagine it's so that people don't go sharing all their music.Have you tried the Apple ipod help site?
    I know that there is software ,think it must be shareware that does it,but make sure it's legal :)
    Just thinking- your music files aren't still in the iTunes file are they?

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Try media monkey it's I-pod compatible.

4. Stan O'Kella

Cheers Su Lin, no I didn't keep my music in i tunes library, i had about 50 gig so preferred to just put the odd bit in when I wanted to add it.

I decided to try a bit of lateral thinking and found that you can access your music on the pod, when you show hidden files you find where the music is stored. So currently in the process of copying 50 gig of music to my newly acquired external hard drive as back up :D

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Nice work :D

6. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

So, hang on, you can transfer music from your PC to your iPod just like a normal MP3 player yes? But you can't transfer it back???

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

That's the one V, annoying isn't it! I'm sure it's to avoid people taking music from their friend's ipods onto their computers! Meanies!! :woo:

8. Victoria

Where there's a will, there's always a way :yeleyes:

9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

You can copy the folder off your ipod (I forget the name), and feed it back through itunes, which should correct the issue.

I done this for my brother and it worked on 98% of the files.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Exactly ;)

11. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I hope so! There's a chance (very slim, but still there) my computer will have to be restored/buy a new one. I don't want to lose my 2,600+ songs :cry:

12. Victoria

If this happens y'know where I'll be heading :D

I have pics for you too, will e-mail

13. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I used Ephpod. Worked like a charm.

14. Sgt_Major

My house??

replied :D

15. Stan O'Kella

That's what I've done. The folder comes up when you show the hidden folders when you access the pod as another drive and not through i tunes.

Apple doesn't want you to be able to swap stuff, probably a nod to anti piracy, a theme I'm sure we all support.

16. Victoria

So if you have an iPod, you have to have iTunes to make it work?

Sorry :eek:

17. Sgt_Major

Did you try dragging them to your ipod in itunes?

It's been a while since I done it, but its definitely do-able.

18. Stan O'Kella

Yeah you do need I tunes, and the new I pods don't even come with it on disc, you have to download it from the apple site, free but still not everyone has the internet. Although if you get one from the apple store they will download it for you.

Despite their faults, I love mine, on my 3rd!! Had an original white one, and then upgraded to an 80gig video one and got a shuffle for my birthday for the gym. The biggest issue for me was the fact that once the music was on there it wasn't accessible other than playing it through I tunes. I've sorted that now so its all gravy :D

19. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

What was the original reason behind your computer crashing? (Blue screen, HDD crash, etc)

20. Stan O'Kella

My hard drive went down, the geezer that fixed it had to re format it, so i lost everything. He managed to recover some stuff when he was working on it unfortunately he only managed to recover stuff that I had deleted.