I may need a solution.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by The Kestrel, Apr 29, 2005.

1. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

See , this is my prob, i'm not sure if somebody canhelp me out but i dont lose anything asking.

when i was very young, after school i had to go to my grandma's house, where everyone smoke up to 18 cigarettes per day, and most of the family were there, so there was a constant smoking.I was there, thus breathing all that stuff.

I have been having probs( At least isnt a cancer), but i get tired REALLY quicky, ad that is thicking me off when doing any excersice/MA or such. Can anyone help me with advise, excersices, anything, i say.

Help is most aprecciated.

2. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

Acupuncture's very good for sinus / lung problems. I grew up in Los Angeles breathing smog all the time. Since I've started acupuncture, I've never felt better.

3. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

You could try changing your cardio work around. I'd work on using interval training. Walk for 1 or 2 minutes, walk faster (but not sprinting) for 1 or 2 minutes, back and forth. Start with as many "rounds" as you can handle. Once you can do 10 rounds of each, try increasing the "walking faster" time.

4. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I'm not sure such problems are associated with said smoking...as long as you haven't smoked yourself since then, there should be no lung problems.

5. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Are you sure it's this that's causing you to be really tired, it could be a great deal of things. Have you had it checked by a doc yet?

6. Drunken Miss Ho

Not true at all! Second hand smoke can be quite damaging to the lungs, and if you have weak lungs or a weak sinus system your energy level will be low, because your body's not getting enough oxygen. BWMF's suggestion of focusing on some easy cardio is good, the more you do, the easier it becomes. Ninjamonkey's right though, it could be anything. Do you have difficulty breathing?

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Jog. Start off slow but as far as you can go, youll soon be up to scratch.
    And your lungs should have healed by now if you havent had any more prolonged exposure to second hand smoke, just sounds like your unfit mate.

8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Cardio's already been mentioned. If you're having trouble with your sinuses, then try some Olive Leaf Extract nasal spray (it's a lot less painful than accupuncture).

9. Drunken Miss Ho

Painful?!? Mildly uncomfortable, maybe, but still well worth it. If you find it painful, I think you need a new acupuncturist.

10. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Or do what the boxers do and shove a cotton bud of vicks up your nose.

11. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Yes it can but his post implies that this second hand smoke was inhaled in his youth and not now. Quitting smoking before 30 eliminates nearly all excess risk of dying so I think we can assume that that isn't why he is having problems now. The lungs do recover.

12. Drunken Miss Ho

Oh really?
    http://www.smokefreehousing.org/news_articles/NA_4_1_Smoke_Raises_Kids_Lung_Cancer.asp

in short (from lungusa.org, the American Lung Cancer site)-
    "The January 27, 2005 Reuters reports on new research which found that children exposed to passive smoking have a higher risk of developing lung cancer later in life than other youngsters. According to the article researchers followed up more than 123,000 people who never smoked but had been exposed to second-hand smoke as children and found that 97 suffered from lung cancer, 20 others had upper respiratory cancers and 14 died from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) which is also caused by smoking."

I'm not saying he has lung cancer, I'm only saying childhood exposure to second hand can increase the risk of illness later in life.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  13. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Risk of illness maybe but not a decrease in respiratory performance, I doubt it very much. The lungs like any other organ in the body are perfectly capable of recovering from damage over time. I am of course assuming he is at least a few years older, it sounds like it anyway.

Kestrel, it would be helpful if you post your training history, stats and diet etc. No offense but you may just be unfit mate.

14. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

If i were unfit, i wouldnt even try to do something that tires me.
    The prob is always with the respiration, since i have no problems with the muscles like any kind of pain.

Thank you everyone.The forumers here are pretty nice :)

15. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Your muscles might be up to the actual exercise, it could just be your cardiorespiratory system that's not quite up to scratch.

16. wael_kaddouh

wael_kaddouh New Member

man you said when you were young you used to go to your grand ma's house ,how old were you than and how old are u now,2nd as "ninja monkey" said in his first statement i dont think it has to do something with your respiratory system,for sure there is something else cause ull be surprised how much agile the human body is and how much it can endure,i used to work in a pub as waiter,and the amount of smoke i used to breath was horrible even when i tried to sleep my nostrils use to burn,but still when i goto to training it wouldn't affect me at all.
    anyways review ur self what kind of food ur eating,ur training,ur "mental status" r u under stress or not are u thinking too much,all of these things can affect you inderectly.you get me,if u wanna feel better try going to a physician he will help you more.
    take care

17. Drunken Miss Ho

Alright guys, sometimes its not that simple. I myself was born with crappy sinuses. As far back as I remember, I've had difficulty taking a full breath. When I was younger, I used to run 5k's and was pretty active, but I still had difficulty breathing sometimes. Lately it's gotten a lot worse and I have allergies to dairy, mold, dust, pollution, smoke, etc. where as before I just had mild difficulty breathing. I can't be 10 feet from a smoker now without not being able to breathe, and when I was younger it really didn't affect me that much. I'm pretty active now too, and I can run for a while without being winded. But the only way for me to be able to breathe properly is avoiding the things like dairy and being in smokey environments and getting acupuncture. Kestrel might have a legit sinus problem or allergies, in which case he should go to a doctor. I've tried antihistemines etc. but the only thing that has worked for me is what I mentioned above.

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I have had a bad chest ever since I suffered from pnumonia when I was young. My breathing varies alot, at times fine, at others almost like ashma(which I don't have).

The one thing I've really found to benefit me is to spend as much time as humanly possible outside. Fresh air is always good for the repository system.