I have a few questions to go with my introduction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by I walk alone, May 17, 2009.

1. I walk alone

I walk alone New Member

Well first off let me take a moment to say Hi ya all. I decided to go to this forum over some of the other ones due to this one having way more people. When i don't understand something usually the first place i seek out is forums.

I have many questions so I'm hoping that here is a lot of people who can help me. I have went into high school wrestling. I learned a lot of cool techniques. Unfortunately I one was only able to stay in it for one year due to server health issues. I know...I know at the age of 18 I really should not have such problems but what can you do.

Anyway just yesterday I decided I wanted to try Tai Chi with yoga (I know yoga is not a martial art) to help with the sprite and mind. The The only problem with Tai Chi is we do not have a master here. So i read about it and i was told that you can do it alone cool I thought so I went on you tube to see what it look like. That when i knew i wanted do it. On you tube there is only limited amount of training videos. This makes me very sad. Then i restored to my very old rusty trust non HD T.V. Well there is one one at 5:00am in the morning. Which means i can watch it once a week. I thought about downloading some videos however my old man would never let me. So the question comes from the death of hell its self how do I get started on Tai Chi.:bang:

2. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Welcome to MAP, i don't know much about Tai Chi but training from dvds can only show very basic stuff, can't beat a proper instructor.

3. I walk alone

I walk alone New Member

Thank you for your comment but i must say one must learn the basics before he or she can continue the more advanced stuff. I believe it will be easier to find information on the advanced stuff if i`m able to find info on the basics first. :hat:

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya, Welcome to MAP. :)

As TaiJiQuan is an Internal CMA, you really need a teacher from the beginning as it is not possible to get far on your own.

As the Taoists say...when the student is ready, the teacher appears....

I hope one turns up for you soon.

5. I walk alone

I walk alone New Member

What do you think I should do in the mean time. I cant just wait forever.

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

The first thing to learn is Qi Gong Standing Pole....

As in learn to stand in TaiJi posture before you learn to move...

Either google Qi gong or visit a local library. I can recommend books if that will be of any help...

This site give a fair description of Standing Pole...

http://neigong.net/2006/06/07/the-all-round-standing-pole-exercise/

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  7. I walk alone

I walk alone New Member

wow thank you so much!!

Ya if you do not mind name off some good books :D

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  8. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hi,

These three are all good in different ways!!

Traditional Chinese Theraputic Excercises - Standing Pole. (by Wang Xuanjie.)

The Way of Energy (by Master Lam Kam Chuen.)

Opening The Energy Gates Of Your Body (by B.K.Frantzis.)

You may be able to get then via Amazon or Ebay...I get most of mine on Ebay, best prices. :)

Good luck, and when you have enough posts, you can always pm me for help or advice.

:hat:

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Which part of Canada do you live? My brother-in-law studies Tai Chi in Montreal, teacher is supposedly quite decent.

10. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

welcome, good luck on finding an instructor in my opinion when u start a martial art u need an instructor to atleast build a solid base of skills if nothing else, if u end up having to train later on ur own atleast u will atleast have had proper instruction on the basics.

11. I walk alone

I walk alone New Member

Sorry I did not reply sooner I was sick the last few days :( I live in a small city all they only have here is tae kwon do. I agree a instructor is the only real way to learn but if you have no instructor. learning off books and TV is the only way to go. :bang: someday I hope to go to real classes. I guess one is never too old to learn :hat: Ill take a second here to say how great full I am for these forums and All your posts.

Many Thanks:hat: