I dumb question that I just wanted to ask

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jungdo, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Jungdo

Jungdo Valued Member

When most of us that are not in Tae kwon do think about it. We think about the kicking and the sparing mostly. But in having spoke with a few koreans here in korea. Or I should say more of the old school guys I should say. They have been saying that there is weapon training. And I am not just talking about the normal take the gun away thing. I talking about training with the chucks or in korean
    Ssang Jyel Bong or Dan Bong or even Jang Kum.
    My question is since when did that start to happen, I am not tring to sound dumb. But when one thinks about Tae Kwon Do they normally will not be thinking about weapons training for them.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It isn't a dumb question. I suppose it's just a question of taekwondo teachers wanting to address more variables. Some schools can concentrate on tournament stuff almost exclusively. Others perhaps want to branch out more.

How long have you been in Korea?

3. Jungdo

Jungdo Valued Member

for about a year now.
    And will be spending the rest of my time in tx for my tour of duty.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

How many schools have mentioned doing weapon work? I'm trying to get a sense for how prevalent this is, because I think you're right that it is something of a shift. And I'm wondering whether it's happening on an institutional level or just select schools. If it's select schools, that's nothing new. I know quite a few taekwondo schools that have made some inroads in introducing weapons training.

It sounds like a good thing to me overall.

5. Jungdo

Jungdo Valued Member

I have only got to talk to a few because of being on base. But the funny thing is that they all were all wtf people

6. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

There's no such thing as a dumb question - just a lack of knowledge looking to be filled :)

Can't comment on the TKD, but I study Han Kuk Mu Ki Do as part of the overall art of Tang Soo Do. Due to lifestyle problems, the one class a week I can get to tends to concentrate on the weapons - so I've advanced much more with them than with the 'parent' art.

We use many standard TSD hyungs with weapons included, and this can give a very different outlook on well known forms.

Sorry for the spellings, but, Jang Bong :)D), Chule Bong, Dan Doh, Charu, Sai [OK - the rest have other known names, but is there a 'Korean' word for Sai I should know?], sword, walking stick, belt, and if he wants to test our 'courage' - the Sam Bong (triple stick). Our instructor has also promised us the Dan Bong, Fan, and Bullwhip - and brought in a local Escrima instructor to add to the stick work.

Don't know how much this helps, but there is still a lot of Korean weapons work going on if you know where to find it.

Tang Soo!!

7. KevinK37

KevinK37 Valued Member

I walked by a TKD school here in my home town a while back and saw a bunch of kids swinging around a long staff while going across the mat.

8. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

I know there is Korean weapon training, maybe not specifically TKD but I'm pretty sure they do nunchaku and staff. I stumbled on the nunchaku once on the internet a long time ago actually. In my (former) Tae Kwon Do school the students cross trained with escrima sticks, and the black belts trained with the bokken, bo, and tonfa, and were allowed to study any weapon they wanted on their own.

9. someone335

someone335 New Member

In my dojang (its based of TKD with a few other arts, master is TKD, another guys some jiujitsu...) we do weapons and the master always talks about using them a long time ago in TKD training under his dad, that was also in korea... So I guess TKD can have weapons. But when we went to a TKD tournament our school won almost every spot in kum doo (sword) and san jul gon (nunchuck) sparring, so american schools might not train as much weapons.