I cant imagine for the life of me that this wouldnt endanger a practitioner

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by IronMaiden1991, Nov 11, 2019.

1. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

Found this beauty of a clip of a Systema training camp and oh boy that looks like a fun way to scar yourself.

Grond likes this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

These Russian paramilitary guys sure have a lot of free time on their hands to make so many Youtube videos. I mean sure, swinging sabers around is as Russian as borscht, going back to the Cossack eras. But I'll bet the Cossacks were better at this type of thing.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

These are much much better!

It's almost as if the majority of systema is terrible!

Mitlov and Grond like this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mostly those are just flowering techniques, found in TCMA. They actually are pretty safe. We don't use sharpened blades of course. Maybe not done as well as I am used to seeing it done either (I am being kind here). But hey, my flowers need work. Those can be done with blades or other weapons.

Solo, part is no big deal. The drills I would only question if the blades were sharpened, but I doubt they were. They were moving slowly, so I don't see what the fuss is about really. Just not particularly well done technique-wise - that would be my issue. but not the concept.

If you think that is bad, don't pull up any clips of the double Hookswords. In addition to lots of crazy flowers/ spinning, they hook the swords to each other, with one only hanging by the hook. And then swing it under the legs, moving the legs.

I haven't done the double flowers, but I have done many others. They are hard, but not particularly dangerous. Flowers/ spinning with the 3 section staff is far more dangerous IMO. Wacked myself plenty with that weapon! ;) But even then, so far, I have lived to tell the tale.

Here is a tutorial of Sifu Kuttel doing it. Or something really similar.

Sifu Kuttel does a lot of spinning/ flower video tutorials.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Mitlov, Grond and IronMaiden1991 like this.
  5. IronMaiden1991

The three man drill seems like you'd be asking for trouble if it was done with any real speed, which makes me wonder what the purpose of it is for.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

It's so they can pretend they're super old Cossack warriors, as well as super secret russian russian soldiers.

It's like a form of cosplay.

Grond likes this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Cosplay takes a damn site more skill to be honest.

8. Dead_pool

Too true..... I was just finishing my rorschach costume today but I do wish the mask didn't look just like my parents fighting......

pgsmith, hewho, Smaug97 and 3 others like this.
  9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Camouflage clothing is cheap and widely available, though. That video Dead Pool posted is exactly what I meant, damn. Thanks DP.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I never knew Cossacks wore camouflage, but perhaps that’s because I didn’t see them :)

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've always taken Cosplay to mean that you make and design your own outfit rather than buying it.

12. Dead_pool

Iirc it just means costume play, there's always a thousand fake Deadpools at the comic cons i've been too, most are premade outfits.

Perhaps it's because the good ones are handmade, and so more noticeable.

Grond and Pretty In Pink like this.
  13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Came across this while looking at HEMA videos and it reminded me of this thread. Even higher levels of dumb. Spoiler tag for blood and one fairly graphic injury that's in the thumbnail.

Dan93 and axelb like this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

why would they! :eek:
    I should never be surprised that there's people out there doing something so daft, when you could train to a higher standard without the damage.

15. IronMaiden1991

I meet this attitude in the gym, where if you arent broken/injured/puking you arent training right, when really thats the last thing you want.

axelb and Southpaw535 like this.